Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

GARY LINEKER DONATES TO SEARCH FUND

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:25 am

Gary Lineker donates £1,000 to Emiliano Sala pilot's family as they plead for help to find him
By Jon Doel

He's made the gesture as a fundraising campaign gathers momentum

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker has donated £1,000 to the family of Emiliano Sala's pilot David Ibbotson.

Lineker's gesture is the largest individual pledge to the fundraising campaign that has been set up to pay for a new search for the missing pilot.

Ibbotson's family launched a GoFundMe page on Friday night, pleading with the public to help "bring him home".

Nearly £74,000 had been raised at the time of writing from thousands of donations.

As well as donating himself, Lineker shared the page on his social media account. He also urged Cardiff City and Nantes to donate as the two clubs prepare for a legal dispute over Sala's £15m transfer fee.

While Sala's body was discovered amid the wreckage of the Piper Malibu aircraft that crashed into the English Channel on January 21, no trace of Mr Ibbotson has been found.

All searches were ended on Wednesday night when the vessel that recovered Sala's body returned to shore.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch have completed their investigations at sea, insisting their only remit was to gather evidence from the wreckage.

It is unclear how a new search for Mr Ibbotson would work given there is currently no identified site where he might be.

Posting the appeal on the GoFundMe page, Danielle Ibbotson wrote: "Please help bring David Ibbotson home and help give him the send off he deserves.

"As a family we are relying on the kindness of the good hearted people to help us raise the much needed funds to help us find our beloved Dad, Husband and Son.

"As a family we are trying to come to terms with the tragedy and the loss of two incredible men.

"To be told the search has now been called off for the foreseeable future has only made this tragic time more difficult.

"We can not bare the thought of him being alone, we need him home so that we are able to lay him to rest.

"Any donations would be very much appreciated."

"Thank you so much for your support Ibbotson Family."
Attachments
Gary Lineker and Dave Ibbotson.jpg
Gary Lineker and Dave Ibbotson.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

Re: GARY LINEKER DONATES TO SEARCH FUND

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 am

Gary Lineker has given much to mock about of late but this donation is creditable :clap:

For those who will feel a need to jump on his back, just consider Lineker is to date the largest contributor to this particular fund and has likely contributed more than most of his potential 'knockers' even as a percentage of income

Sometimes you just have to give even a little credit where it's due :ayatollah:
Attachments
Gary Lineker and Dave Ibbotson.jpg
Gary Lineker and Dave Ibbotson.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 4049 times

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:40 am

Sven wrote:Gary Lineker has given much to mock about of late but this donation is creditable :clap:

For those who will feel a need to jump on his back, just consider Lineker is to date the largest contributor to this particular fund and has likely contributed more than most of his potential 'knockers' even as a percentage of income

Well said Sven, people will look to knock him,saying he's a multi millionaire, but as you day,credit where it's due, well done Mr lineker :clap: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 am

Fair play there Sven, good on Lineker.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 am

Not a big Lineker fan but fair play,credit where’s its due.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:21 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Fair play there Sven, good on Lineker.

It's amazing how much good publicity a person can get just by donating approximately one quarter of his daily earnings!

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Virtue signalling?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

He is still a fuckwit :D ;) :bluescarf:

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Sven wrote:Gary Lineker has given much to mock about of late but this donation is creditable :clap:

As far as I am aware he has donated £1,000 to the fund which is peanuts to someone who earns well over a million every year.
Believe that it’s pushing it saying that it is credible. Yes, good to make a donation but it’s probably the equivalent of us donating 10p.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:

As far as I am aware he has donated £1,000 to the fund which is peanuts to someone who earns well over a million every year.
Believe that it’s pushing it saying that it is credible. Yes, good to make a donation but it’s probably the equivalent of us donating 10p.

Christ mate, give him a break. Any donation to a good cause is commendable, whether you are rich or poor or weather you donate 10p or 10m. It all helps.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 am

why knock someone for a donation to something like this ?
how many people earn a million pound a year and have not donated ?
there are 500 players named in premier league squads { mostly earning a million a year } to start with. now there is 500k there.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 am

Apart from Kylian Mbappe, Gary is the only person from the footballing world so far to have donateted to David Ibbotson’s Go Fund Me page, like him or not he’s made a meaningful gesture

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

So your monetary contribution to date (the point of my second post) is exactly what...? :?

At least Lineker DID something! ;)

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Sven wrote:

So your monetary contribution to date (the point of my second post) is exactly what...? :?

If I were inclined to donate to this, that's the sort of sum I might come up with. Gary Lineker earns huge sums between the Licence fee based mega salary and various advertising incomes.
He's doing it publicly too, which is something I don't really like, so I'm sorry but I tend to regard it as a bit of virtue signalling.

Yes I know my view is probably coloured by the fact that the bloke generally disgusts me, and I probably shouldn't be commenting in this way, but I get annoyed by people who pretend to be nice when I get the impression that they're really not.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Not sure why anyone would knock someone for donating something to a cause.

snoopystorm wrote:Apart from Kylian Mbappe, Gary is the only person from the footballing world so far to have donateted to David Ibbotson’s Go Fund Me page, like him or not he’s made a meaningful gesture

Not sure if this has been since your post but I seen at least 2 other players donate.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

If I were inclined to donate to this, that's the sort of sum I might come up with. Gary Lineker earns huge sums between the Licence fee based mega salary and various advertising incomes.
He's doing it publicly too, which is something I don't really like, so I'm sorry but I tend to regard it as a bit of virtue signalling.

Yes I know my view is probably coloured by the fact that the bloke generally disgusts me, and I probably shouldn't be commenting in this way, but I get annoyed by people who pretend to be nice when I get the impression that they're really not.

don't think he needs publicity tbh.
and his donation was A} more than most have done, and B} got publicity for the GoFundMe.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Not sure why anyone would knock someone for donating something to a cause.

snoopystorm wrote:Apart from Kylian Mbappe, Gary is the only person from the footballing world so far to have donateted to David Ibbotson’s Go Fund Me page, like him or not he’s made a meaningful gesture

Not sure if this has been since your post but I seen at least 2 other players donate.

I’ve noticed that a few others have donated since I made that comment too mate lol

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 am

snoopystorm wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Not sure why anyone would knock someone for donating something to a cause.

I’ve noticed that a few others have donated since I made that comment too mate lol

its been a totally different type of GoFundMe.
far less big donations from celebs. but twice as many smaller donations from the public.
Post a reply