Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED: CARDIFF SAY DEAL WAS "NULL & VOID" AFTER SALA D

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Over the weeks many on here and fb have said Nantes would have had insurance ? But why would they anymore because as far as they were concerned Sala was no longer their player, he was a Cardiff City player in their eyes.

Plus Annis was he only valued at £5m by them ??
Sala had left them days before and signed a contract with Nantes, so their insurance would be No longer in place.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -tell-fifa

Unless i'm reading it wrong the sky reports says "Cardiff will also claim that further contract clauses - proposed by Nantes - had not been met" to me that suggests it wasn't done and dusted in which case you would think they would keep their insurance and if they didn't well that is their issue just like it maybe in reverse if Fifa say he is our player and we haven't insured him correctly.

Re: NANTES REPLY AS CARDIFF SAY DEAL WAS "NULL & VOID"

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Reply fb

David Djmoon Cugini:

pretty sickening the whole thing... fella lost his life in all of this nonsense... i was gutted when i 1st heard he didnt want to come to cardiff... i wish that was still the case, he would still be alive and not have all this transfer money drama... rip sala but this is dragging on like brexit

Richard Byles:

Pay up you announced he was our player so pay the fee this is making us a laughing stock and untrustworthy in the football and world in General and nobody will do business in the future.

Darren Phillips:

Shame on our club

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 pm

April 3rd it is then

8 days of reading slosh from the media and match of the day Facebook group page

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Looks like Nantes registered Sala's transfer a few hours before the accident. The only thing I can find that may have some link to all this is the following taken from FIFA rules.

When an International Transfer Certificate has been issued to this Association the Club and/or player will be
notified by fax, telephone, e-mail or letter by the Registrations Department. Until notification has been received
the player may NOT be registered or play for a Club in England at any level.
8. Such a player may NOT play in a competitive fixture at any level in England until an International Transfer
Certificate has been received and registration has been accepted by a League and/or this Association. Letters
from National Associations and Clubs are NOT sufficient to enable a player to play competitive football.

Re: CARDIFF SAY DEAL WAS "NULL & VOID" AFTER SALA DIED

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Daya wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:If it wasn't complete I'm sure Nantes can claim on on their insurance.

Hopefully they can as Cardiff Couldn't as they didn't have enough :lol:

Hopefully FIFA sort out the Malaysian blaggers once and for all

Why do you have to use the name Malaysian? As if we don't know tans nationality :banghead: and who are the others :?: you talk about baggers in a plural sense :?: :sleepy2:

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 pm

cf40 wrote:Why did we send our guys to Salas funeral and shed bucket loads of tears if he wasn't ours. FFS of course he was ours, and we should stump up the cash

And let the world believe Sala was ours and take their sympathy, every day other fans either say to me it’s such a tragedy what happened to your player and now it’s turning to, how come now it’s time to pay, your club say he wasn’t your player, you can’t have it both ways.
I defend City on anything but on this I just can’t :cry:

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:55 pm

If the paper work was faulty then he was never our player, even though we thought he was. It was probably the intention of all involved for him to become our player, but technically it didn't happen.

Sorry for Nantes, Sorry for Bordeaux but that's the way it is.

However, in the interests of club dignity it might be nice to start with a very generous donation of a few million pounds not used in his transfer to a "Emiliano Sala Foundation" for underprivileged kids (or whatever is suitable). Just to honour his memory.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Reply from FB

Stephen Howard:

Going to be a messy affair this. I'd like Cardiff to pay,so this isn't on their minds,and concentrate on staying in premier league. Any issues can be adressed at a later date and claims put in.

David Herlihy:

very messy affair , the city are embroiled in , if he wasn't our player he wouldn't have been on the fatal flight , two lives lost,this is the real value and had he still been alive would he have legible to play ? If he had played and this discrepancy came out would we have been docked points ? RIP Emilliano RIP David \○/<○>\○/

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 pm

People do realise if we just pay without looking to minimise the cost the insurance won’t cover the fee. This isn’t about a lack of respect or being completely without morals, it is a set process that you have to be able to fulfill to claim from insurance. For those of you who say that they would pay the debt if they were in the same scenario, you must be saints. Because any normal business or company would dispute the payment of what based on based on previous accounts would make up over half of Cardiff’s annual profits. It’s ridiculous and frankly naive to think that any company would pay based on a moral obligation.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:47 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Embarrassing from our club.

All involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Ridiculous! would you pay out in full for your house if contracts hadn't been exchanged??
The club is a business nothing more nothing less with a board paid to look after it's interests. That includes not paying out for a player that wasn't legally ours.

It’s not the same though isit ? Comparing a human life to a house ? He wouldn’t of been on the plane if it wasn’t for us so yes we should pay instead of embarrassing ourselves:)

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Looks like Nantes registered Sala's transfer a few hours before the accident. The only thing I can find that may have some link to all this is the following taken from FIFA rules.

When an International Transfer Certificate has been issued to this Association the Club and/or player will be
notified by fax, telephone, e-mail or letter by the Registrations Department. Until notification has been received
the player may NOT be registered or play for a Club in England at any level.
8. Such a player may NOT play in a competitive fixture at any level in England until an International Transfer
Certificate has been received and registration has been accepted by a League and/or this Association. Letters
from National Associations and Clubs are NOT sufficient to enable a player to play competitive football.

Players registered at one association may only be registered at a new association once the latter has received an International Transfer Certificate (hereinafter: ITC) from the former association. The ITC shall be issued free of
charge without any conditions or time limit. Any provisions to the contrary shall be null and void. The association issuing the ITC shall lodge a copy with FIFA.

Any professional player who is registered with a club that is affiliated to one association may only be registered with a club affiliated to a different association after an ITC has been delivered by the former association and the new association has confirmed receipt of the ITC. The ITC procedure must be conducted exclusively via TMS. Any form of ITC other than the one created by TMS shall not be recognised.

A professional player is not eligible to play in official matches for his/her new club until the new association has confirmed the receipt of the ITC and has entered and confirmed the player registration date in TMS

Upon notification in the system that the transfer instruction is awaiting an ITC request, the new association shall immediately request the former association through TMS to deliver an ITC for the professional player

Upon receipt of the ITC request, the former association shall immediately request the former club and the professional player to confirm whether the professional player’s contract has expired, whether early termination was mutually agreed or whether there is a contractual dispute.

Within seven days of the date of the ITC request, the former association shall, by using the appropriate selection in TMS, either:
a) deliver the ITC in favour of the new association and enter the deregistration date of the player; or
b) reject the ITC request and indicate in TMS the reason for rejection,which may be either that the contract between the former club and the professional player has not expired or that there has been no mutual agreement regarding its early termination.

0nce the ITC has been delivered, the new association shall confirm receipt and complete the relevant player registration information in TMS.

All of this goes together will the T&C of the contract to transfer the player from one club to another, the contract forming part of the documents both clubs must upload on the FIFA TMS database to start the process of requesting an ITC.

I have seen the type of T&C's which are shoe in's on transfer contracts and they are pretty much like this:

In consideration of the transfer fee the selling club shall permanently transfer the registration of the Player to the buying club upon the terms and conditions set out in this Agreement.

The buying club will pay to the selling club the agreed transfer fee, net of any deductions, for the permanent transfer of the registration of the Player, within 5 days of the satisfaction of the following conditions:
(a) the Player’s International Transfer Certificate (“the ITC”) being requested and received by the FA on behalf of the buying club from the FFA;
(b) the transfer being matched and authorised by the FIFA Transfer Matching System (“TMS”);
(c) the Player being granted a work permit to allow him to be lawfully employed as a professional football player in the United Kingdom; and
(d) the Player being registered with, and granted eligibility to play for the buying club by the Premier League and The FA.

This is a complicated process and one thing is certain FIFA will know the exact status of the transfer down to the second as everything is recorded on their TMS but one thing is certain a request for an ITC cannot be made until transfer documentation has been matched and approved via the FIFA TMS process, then it's down to the old association doing their checks, including deregistering the player before they issue the ITC again via TMS and the new association pick up the ITC from the TMS and register the player with the new association and completing the transfer.

It's only at that stage that the transfer can be considered complete however if the completion was delayed because Cardiff City front loaded the signing on fee against PL rules then I can see FIFA finding against Cardiff and instructing them to make payments in line with the terms of the contract.

Time will tell

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm

dogfound wrote:
banana bob wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
banana bob wrote:You can't parade a player and tell the world about your new signing and when it goes tragically wrong deny he was ever your player. Just do the decent thing bite the bullet and give them the money. If I sold someone my car and he crashed it while driving it away I don't think I would be too pleased in him not paying for it. It's a awful tragedy and the last thing both clubs want is arguing over money, personally I think it looks disrespectful when we mourn one of ours and then claim he was never really ours when money rears it's ugly head.

If that person crashed your car during the test drive, and the vehicle registration documents had not been completed properly, I doubt if he would still give you the money for it.

I can only speak for myself but I would personally give the person the money on principal, same as if I borrowed anything and broke it, may not technically be mine but the decent thing would be to pay up. I would rather be skint and keep my head up than catch someone just for the sake of money. Principals far outweigh money in my eyes and to the outside world this would put City in a bad light if they washed their hands and walked away without paying a penny.

Well said.
:thumbup:
im not the only one then.
been self employed nearly 40 years and have always honoured my word even when its cost me { not 15 mill I admit , but certainly a sizeable chunk of annual turnover. its about 10% in this case } to be honest ive come across very few people that value their reputation and name so little they would renege on a deal..

the amount of times ive read the phrases..in any other business and legally obligated on here..wow.
yes two timing twicers can find loopholes and technicalities..might be legal doesn't make them right and certainly is not a reputation I would want myself.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:45 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -emiliano/

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 pm

banana bob wrote:
dogfound wrote:
banana bob wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
banana bob wrote:You can't parade a player and tell the world about your new signing and when it goes tragically wrong deny he was ever your player. Just do the decent thing bite the bullet and give them the money. If I sold someone my car and he crashed it while driving it away I don't think I would be too pleased in him not paying for it. It's a awful tragedy and the last thing both clubs want is arguing over money, personally I think it looks disrespectful when we mourn one of ours and then claim he was never really ours when money rears it's ugly head.

If that person crashed your car during the test drive, and the vehicle registration documents had not been completed properly, I doubt if he would still give you the money for it.

I can only speak for myself but I would personally give the person the money on principal, same as if I borrowed anything and broke it, may not technically be mine but the decent thing would be to pay up. I would rather be skint and keep my head up than catch someone just for the sake of money. Principals far outweigh money in my eyes and to the outside world this would put City in a bad light if they washed their hands and walked away without paying a penny.

Well said.
:thumbup:
im not the only one then.
been self employed nearly 40 years and have always honoured my word even when its cost me { not 15 mill I admit , but certainly a sizeable chunk of annual turnover. its about 10% in this case } to be honest ive come across very few people that value their reputation and name so little they would renege on a deal..

the amount of times ive read the phrases..in any other business and legally obligated on here..wow.
yes two timing twicers can find loopholes and technicalities..might be legal doesn't make them right and certainly is not a reputation I would want myself.

Its not 15m its 30m because salary will come into equation if they decide he is a city player :thumbup:

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Sir wrote:these are two large corporations who are fully aware of the law, employ lots of solicitors, and are quite capable of looking after themselves.

i'd just let the matter sort itself out. if we are legally bound to pay we will pay, if not then we won't. the case will be decided on the terms of the contract, and any previously similar cases. no point stressing about a matter we have no knowledge about.

:thumbup: Spot on, i've been saying for months all of these discussions are based on guesswork and hearsay, none of us on here have a clue really :thumbup:

If we end up owing it, we will pay it, if we don't we wont :thumbup:

So are you saying we are not allowed to discuss it :lol:

We are not allowed our say :lol:

I think you might be shocked a few of us do know what’s going on :thumbright:

But even if we did not, surely as football fans we can discuss it and chat about it or are we in Russia.

Of course, we can discuss it, but it's all guesswork and hearsay, none of us knows all of the facts

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 am

WelshSerb wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Embarrassing from our club.

All involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Ridiculous! would you pay out in full for your house if contracts hadn't been exchanged??
The club is a business nothing more nothing less with a board paid to look after it's interests. That includes not paying out for a player that wasn't legally ours.

It’s not the same though isit ? Comparing a human life to a house ? He wouldn’t of been on the plane if it wasn’t for us so yes we should pay instead of embarrassing ourselves:)

Obviously different but it makes a point, if it was your house that never got to live in, you wouldn't pay the mortgage anyway due to morals and because you did genuinely try to buy the house, even if you had a bit of a party when you first signed the paperwork before completion.

If we owe it we will pay it but we have every right to make a legal challenge.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:00 am

Classless . A young man has died and the club do not want to lose money, now they say he is nothing to do with them, hey you could not make it up, only at Cardiff City :roll: :roll:

Re: NANTES REPLY sAS CARDIFF SAY DEAL WAS "NULL & VOID"

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 am

grange_end1927 wrote:Classless . A young man has died and the club do not want to lose money, now they say he is nothing to do with them, hey you could not make it up, only at Cardiff City :roll: :roll:

Sadly so true.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 am

I've listened to both sides, i'm leaning towards the club should honour the agreement. Clearly it was agreed by all parties he was a Cardiff player. The club keeps a good reputation, and move on as a club.

By moving on, i meant working with reliable classier agents, and the club looking after players' welfare

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
JulesK wrote:Who needs enemies the way some carry on!!!!
Think the argument is well lost when yet again the example put forward is a f*cking car.

Why? Law of contract is law of contract however you apply it.

Steve, my own personal view is that we should only pay if legally obligated to.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am

JulesK wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
JulesK wrote:Who needs enemies the way some carry on!!!!
Think the argument is well lost when yet again the example put forward is a f*cking car.

Why? Law of contract is law of contract however you apply it.

Steve, my own personal view is that we should only pay if legally obligated to.

Totally agree we should only pay if he was legally our player and the paperwork was correct , if not then it's up to the French club to claim of their insurance.

I personally don't feel our club is doing anything wrong and are doing it by the book.

The club as already said they will pay up what more can our club do we are not a charity.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:
cf40 wrote:Why did we send our guys to Salas funeral and shed bucket loads of tears if he wasn't ours. FFS of course he was ours, and we should stump up the cash

And let the world believe Sala was ours and take their sympathy, every day other fans either say to me it’s such a tragedy what happened to your player and now it’s turning to, how come now it’s time to pay, your club say he wasn’t your player, you can’t have it both ways.

I really don't understand the logic here. Why does it matter if he was legally our player or not. Does that make a difference how we dealt with the situation? Even if he wasn't legally our player he was set to be our player so we did the right thing in my opinion on grieving for the young man.

Are people suggesting we shouldn't have paid tribute on a technicality? That to me seem heartless. He deserved the tribute because he either was or was about to be our player.

If the plane had crashed when he was coming over to sign would we have just washed our hands of him on this logic?

Financially on course is a different matter and the law has to decide who is responsible and then that club needs to do the right thing.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:35 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I really don't understand the logic here. Why does it matter if he was legally our player or not. Does that make a difference how we dealt with the situation? Even if he wasn't legally our player he was set to be our player so we did the right thing in my opinion on grieving for the young man.

Are people suggesting we shouldn't have paid tribute on a technicality? That to me seem heartless. He deserved the tribute because he either was or was about to be our player.

If the plane had crashed when he was coming over to sign would we have just washed our hands of him on this logic?

Financially on course is a different matter and the law has to decide who is responsible and then that club needs to do the right thing.

see where your coming from.
but seriously ..do you think our club would have behaved as they did if another of those players we tried but failed to sign in January had died.
we are all different but I found us both sending a delegation to his funeral and sending letters to clubs containing the phrase..the player we tried to sign...as tasteless as ive seen..people pointed to other clubs messageboard jokes.. but those letters along with much of how it was handled trumped all the jokes for bad taste...
yes some fans were grief junkies but they were encouraged .
we were handed daffodils at the emirates and had yellow boards to hold up. I stood in 3 maybe 4 minutes silences.his picture along with a daf on a programme cover, his family invited here..and..and..and..and..and he was not our player and the moon is made of cheese.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am

the fairest thing to do IMO would be to settle the loss 50-50 with nantes if there is no insurance to cover it.

if the guaranteed fee was say £12m, then take a hit of £6m each, so we pay them £6m.

if they reject that offer, and we're not liable, then let it go to court. of course all of this is speculation as we dont know what's in the contract etc.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am

Sir wrote:the fairest thing to do IMO would be to settle the loss 50-50 with nantes if there is no insurance to cover it.

if the guaranteed fee was say £12m, then take a hit of £6m each, so we pay them £6m.

if they reject that offer, and we're not liable, then let it go to court. of course all of this is speculation as we dont know what's in the contract etc.

Agreed :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am

If we own him then we can pay and claim on insurance, if we don’t nantes can. Pretty simple logic.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am

Sir wrote:the fairest thing to do IMO would be to settle the loss 50-50 with nantes if there is no insurance to cover it.

im not sure 1 single Cardiff fan would be happy with this if the other way around..

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

see where your coming from.
but seriously ..do you think our club would have behaved as they did if another of those players we tried but failed to sign in January had died.
we are all different but I found us both sending a delegation to his funeral and sending letters to clubs containing the phrase..the player we tried to sign...as tasteless as ive seen..people pointed to other clubs messageboard jokes.. but those letters along with much of how it was handled trumped all the jokes for bad taste...
yes some fans were grief junkies but they were encouraged .
we were handed daffodils at the emirates and had yellow boards to hold up. I stood in 3 maybe 4 minutes silences.his picture along with a daf on a programme cover, his family invited here..and..and..and..and..and he was not our player and the moon is made of cheese.

No but I don’t think it’s the same, it seems Sala had all but signed, it wasn’t a he might or might not sign or he was thinking it over. Everything had been agreed except it would seem (if true) it had not legally been completed and therefore I personally don’t think the club should pay or be liable for the cost but then the law should decide that not me guessing on a message board.

Im not sure on the letters saying “the player we tried to sign” I don’t think ive heard of that but if true it sounds poor taste I totally agree, shameful from the club and whoever sent them.

I don’t see any issue with the clubs tributes myself, he almost certainly would have been our player had the accident not happened, I thought the tributes were right. yes you have some fans going OTT will silly things about naming the stands or the stadium etc but that's people for you. I am guessing the club are not saying that he wasn’t going to be our player but that legally he wasn’t ours and not liable for the fee. That’s for lawyers to pick the bones out of but imo it has to be done and offering the reported 30m for the fee and wages as a gesture of good will is just never going to happen and I back the club with that. If he is our player then its for the club to pay and there should be no doubt about that.

Im not sure why everyone is trying to make this into a goodie and badie situation, the legal teams will decide who is liable and then it will be for that club to sort.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Bet that would be to the Nantes owners liking, he was after money before the plane was found and was still issuing threats to go to FIFA before the body was recovered, seems like a nice man.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm

This terrible event is totally unprecedented I believe.
I think it's best to leave everything in the hands of the club's lawyers (Cardiff and Nantes)
FIFA,UEFA. The French FA, the English FA and the Welsh FA.
All the above adhere to the same rules.
So once it's sorted and agreed on, only then should it become public knowledge.