EX-REF EXPLAINS WHY FIRST BURNLEY GOAL SHOULDN'T HAVE STOOD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Ex-ref explains two reasons why Burnley goal against Cardiff shouldn't have stood
By Josh Challies

Burnley took the lead against Cardiff City through Chris Wood but the effort was controversial

Former Premier League referee Peter Walton believes that Burnley’s opening goal against Cardiff City should not have counted for two reasons.

The Clarets took the lead in the first half against their relegation rivals, with Chris Wood heading home from a corner on the half hour mark.

However, BT Sport pundit Robbie Savage raised an argument of offside against the decision and ex-ref Walton then spotted another infringement when analysing the decision.

“When that ball came over for the corner kick, I don’t think it touched anybody and it should have been a goal kick,” he said.

“Then, when the ball comes over, Barnes is stood in an offside position and the mere fact he makes a movement may have interfered with the goalkeeper’s line of sight.

“Had there been an offside decision, I wouldn’t have been surprised. I think VAR would have drawn that to the referee’s attention. I think he was, his movement and his presence there is enough to say he’s interfering with his opponent.”

The decision could prove to be significant for Cardiff’s season as Neil Warnock’s side entered the weekend five points from safety.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: EX-REF EXPLAINS WHY FIRST BURNLEY GOAL SHOULDN'T HAVE ST

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:05 am

Even with slow motion couldn't see etheridge touching ball so on that basis the refs guessed which just about sums up their decision making this season. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Rodneyblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 am

Unbelieveable once again !!
Rodneyblue

Postby Bluebina » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:30 am

Typical anther decision against us FFS !!!
Bluebina

Return to General Chat