Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WOULD YOU LIKE A STADIUM EXPANSION AT THE CARDIFF CITY STADIUM?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: WOULD CARDIFF BENEFIT IF THEY EXPANDED THE STADIUM

Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 am

There is the demand for hospitality as this season shows I'm on level four and lots of business men there entertaining clients or providing seats for games! I Sit above directors box and main corporate area and it is full for big games and sure find its fairly full other times so there is the demand for hospitality as this season shows...

Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 am

epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Given way stadium was built and way expansion was built can assume canton and family end could be built in same way as ninian stand each probably holding 3/4k extra fans

We went off the original plan with the Ninian. The stadium was originally designed to have another tier put in beneath existing roof line on the Canton, family and Ninian. It would have been similar to the end s of the grandstand and they lost the back 4 or 5 rows of the existing Canton, Ninian etc. That would have taken the capacity to about 36k would have cost much less than the Ninian extension.

Tan went away from that plan and built what we now have. He could still do it for the Canton and family though. Its relatively cheap, if you can ever use that in construction these days. Its small elements of steelwork and precast components bolted onto the existing structure and probably could be done without removing the roof with cranes on the surround of the pitch.

At the time they talked about the capability of doing it during a single summer break although you'd need to press the start button a year before that.

How can you put another level under canton stand without removing roof? First problem can see is line of sight and then roof would not support any structure attached to it.... not an engineer but what you say seems impossible given space required to put another level in :old:

The height of the roof was the same right around the ground, prior to the Ninian extension. The upper tier was put on the grandstand side but the ground was designed to accommodate that upper tier around the remainder of the ground. Its essentially small structural steel elements and precast concrete components and assuming given the lightweight of those elements they could put it in from the ground.

When your in the Canton concourse on Sunday if you look up you'll see the upper concourse deck in place, actually you see the metal decking but above that will be a concrete floor . Probably installed then as part of the bracing in the scheme design. They would have need some bracing at that level and they might as well use the floor.

Ok you indicated roof would remain on canton stand and another level put in without removing it! if your saying have it same as grandstand level 4 would it give us enough extra capacity to make it financially viable? Not sure it would unless in premier league several year', also I'm sure tan would have looked at option you state but it must be more costly than extension done or tan would have done it the cheapest way possible :thumbup:

It would have been cheaper than the extension we built, no piling, no foundations, no roof and minimal support structure in steel, precast and stairs etc . Obviously you've got all the M and E which as you've just seen with Tottenham can cost and arm and a leg. But you had that anyway, in fact probably more went into the new stand than would have gone into the new tiers.

Per seat the cost would have been less considerably. What it wouldn't have provided is the 2 huge concourses and potential for greater corporate income that the Ninian extension has given us. All that said they could still do it over the Canton and family stands if they feel that adding a few thousand seats is beneficial.

I would have doubted the benefits to be honest but I've been surprised how well the additional capacity has been taken up this year. If we added another 4k now would we just fill those as well, that of course assumes playing in the premier league. With Cardiff expanding just about as fast as any UK city then possibly.

The big question is if it was cheaper to do it way you say why didn't tan do it ? And why go off the recognised plan because stadium was built to be extended easily and cheaply?

I dont know' but suspect it may have been the fact that it offered little in the way of corporate facilities. It came with very tight concourse, not quite QPR but getting there. The new stand has at least given us 2 massive concourses which I suppose they hope will become significant earners. To really make that work as top value corporate seating they'll have to think about lifting up level 4 by 2 or 3 feet. At the moment its an extension to the lower Ninian.

ive sat in the front row half a dozen times { wales games mostly, which were more expensive but not extortionate if u know what I mean.corporate meaning a free programme..you have zero option but to stand quite frequently which has the effect of a reverse domino effect backwards. ideal world of full houses every week would mean these are the prime mega bucks seats ?

surprised more hasn't been said about them ,but having said that, ive not complained so possible {if others are like me } the club are not even aware of how poor it is..

Fri May 03, 2019 10:11 am

pembroke allan wrote:There is the demand for hospitality as this season shows I'm on level four and lots of business men there entertaining clients or providing seats for games! I Sit above directors box and main corporate area and it is full for big games and sure find its fairly full other times so there is the demand for hospitality as this season shows...

There'll always be a demand, but how much of demand and what they can sell it for will clearly depend on where we're playing. Level 4 grandstand is well designed. Level 4 of the Ninian was poorly designed, it should have been lifted a couple of feet. That said I cant find any bad reviews from people who've taken people there so maybe its not as bad as I think.

Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 pm

epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:There is the demand for hospitality as this season shows I'm on level four and lots of business men there entertaining clients or providing seats for games! I Sit above directors box and main corporate area and it is full for big games and sure find its fairly full other times so there is the demand for hospitality as this season shows...

There'll always be a demand, but how much of demand and what they can sell it for will clearly depend on where we're playing. Level 4 grandstand is well designed. Level 4 of the Ninian was poorly designed, it should have been lifted a couple of feet. That said I cant find any bad reviews from people who've taken people there so maybe its not as bad as I think.

hmmmm.
are they actually using it as corporate or just more expensive seats...
my experience is that its something i lived with, did not complain about but would have real issues had i paid more for the seats {in line with what youd expect to pay for those seats at other premier league grounds }.