Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Athletic Bilbao

Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm

The 2 Basque clubs Athletic and real socieded both have policys where academy produced players must make up a percentage of their first team squads.

With Athletic 85% of their senior team are products of their academy.

Would you welcome such a policy at Cardiff City.

Would it work wonders for Wales internationally if both clubs adopted a similar policy.

Re: Athletic Bilbao

Thu May 02, 2019 6:36 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:The 2 Basque clubs Athletic and real socieded both have policys where academy produced players must make up a percentage of their first team squads.

With Athletic 85% of their senior team are products of their academy.

Would you welcome such a policy at Cardiff City.

Would it work wonders for Wales internationally if both clubs adopted a similar policy.

think its most peoples ideal. but for the life of me I just don't see how..
in FIFTYT YEARS this club has produced 2 players { tosh and Rambo } who have gone on to play at the top level and the area 4 { the 2 I mentioned plus bale and bellers ,I exclude gigs as he had moved away } and not that many others like blake and ernie who have made a living in the top division for mediocre teams....Yorath can be added but not sure where..

not sure Swansea have faired any better either....

Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Would love to see that tbh. Just watching Ajax and what they've done has been brilliant. However to do that there has to be a philosophy in place from top to bottom with everyone buying into it and top youth coaches.

Thu May 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Would love to see that tbh. Just watching Ajax and what they've done has been brilliant. However to do that there has to be a philosophy in place from top to bottom with everyone buying into it and top youth coaches.

and the most important ingredient. talent.

Thu May 02, 2019 6:59 pm

It would have to start at FAW level, reading up on athletic they strongly rely on good grassroots coaches, players dont even enter their academy until 10 years of age.

If the Basque region With a similar population can sustain 2 clubs in La Liga then it can be achieved.

Biggest difficulty is the English club supporters in Wales, with the Basque clubs virtually every child grows up supporting either one of them, it's a way of life there.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Problem is with British psyche, and how that relates to youth football..

Watch a parks game, it’s brutal. There’s no development of skills, or introducing the ethos of mastering the ball, to young players. Spurs and Liverpool both tried to out compete those two, with Liverpool being close.
In the end, skills won. A start, would be insisting youth players can use both feet. It’s often embarrassing listening to commentators describe a players ‘weaker side’. This shouldn’t be.

God knows what to do with their brains.. some of them appear labotamised.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:It would have to start at FAW level, reading up on athletic they strongly rely on good grassroots coaches, players dont even enter their academy until 10 years of age.

If the Basque region With a similar population can sustain 2 clubs in La Liga then it can be achieved.

Biggest difficulty is the English club supporters in Wales, with the Basque clubs virtually every child grows up supporting either one of them, it's a way of life there.

im not sure its English clubs pinching our youngsters. bviously it happens but if it was to any great degree our national side would have benefitted by now...
the FAWQ did a study on dutch football in the early 90s and many ideas were implemented, small sided non competitive games on smaller pitches with rolling subs { mini football } was introduced here before it was in England..in that time pitches have improved, and there are at least a dozen qualified coaches now to everyone then..our league clubs, welsh prem clubs and some welsh lge clubs have academies now along with colleges , there are more young people playing than ever before..yet the end result at the very top of the pyramid remains the same..

like thousands of full time coaches and clubs all over the world who have literally spent billions ..I have no idea what the answer is..some areas seem to produce and others not so much.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:19 pm

dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:It would have to start at FAW level, reading up on athletic they strongly rely on good grassroots coaches, players dont even enter their academy until 10 years of age.

im not sure its English clubs pinching our youngsters. bviously it happens but if it was to any great degree our national side would have benefitted by now...
the FAWQ did a study on dutch football in the early 90s and many ideas were implemented, small sided non competitive games on smaller pitches with rolling subs { mini football } was introduced here before it was in England..in that time pitches have improved, and there are at least a dozen qualified coaches now to everyone then..our league clubs, welsh prem clubs and some welsh lge clubs have academies now along with colleges , there are more young people playing than ever before..yet the end result at the very top of the pyramid remains the same..

like thousands of full time coaches and clubs all over the world who have literally spent billions ..I have no idea what the answer is..some areas seem to produce and others not so much.

What I meant about the English clubs is they get our fans. In South Wales it's not a huge honour to play for Cardiff to many kids.

Ref the FAW it'll never change as long as grassroots coaches simply do 1 part of a coaching course online watching video clips then 1 day simply kicking a ball around.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Problem is with British psyche, and how that relates to youth football..

Watch a parks game, it’s brutal. There’s no development of skills, or introducing the ethos of mastering the ball, to young players. Spurs and Liverpool both tried to out compete those two, with Liverpool being close.
In the end, skills won. A start, would be insisting youth players can use both feet. It’s often embarrassing listening to commentators describe a players ‘weaker side’. This shouldn’t be.

God knows what to do with their brains.. some of them appear labotamised.

parks football I cat c normally being run by an enthusiastic father with a leaders certificate..most decent players will be at cat b staus at least playing some sort of representative football coached by people who have spent time and money obtaining badges and playing a less up and at them form of the game..

and Maradona.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:23 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:

What I meant about the English clubs is they get our fans. In South Wales it's not a huge honour to play for Cardiff to many kids.

Ref the FAW it'll never change as long as grassroots coaches simply do 1 part of a coaching course online watching video clips then 1 day simply kicking a ball around.

that really is not whats entailed getting even a C license.
all our badges are in line with UEFA the courses are pretty standard across the continent.

Thu May 02, 2019 11:36 pm

dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:

all our badges are in line with UEFA the courses are pretty standard across the continent.

I've coached kids football for 11years all I need is as I described and then do a "McDonald's " refresher course which his about 45minutes.

I'm talking grassroots.

Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 am

No because we’d be shit.

Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I've coached kids football for 11years all I need is as I described and then do a "McDonald's " refresher course which his about 45minutes.

I'm talking grassroots.

yes the leaders ...but in this day and age any decent kids picked up early and get to go to development centres or academies as well where the coaches are higher qualified..
personally I don't think its a coaching problem but a lack of talent problem { if infact it is a problem, for a nation our size we do quite well } . truth be told if you have a kid that's possibly going to get to pro level its there to be seen on the first day that he turns up.?

Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 am

Who have we brought through into the first team since Rambo, no one. Our management won't give youth a chance. We have been screaming out fir a right back all season, why haven't we given Cameron Coxe a chance. Perhaps we will in the Championship but I doubt it.

Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 am

Athletic and Real both had a policy in place that only Basques could play for them, I think Toshack scrapped that while boss of RS. So there’s a different mindset at these clubs.
Ajax is the model to copy and it’s great to see them do so well with homegrown talent. However they will eventually sell most of these players on to English Spanish or Italian clubs.

Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am

Jock wrote:Athletic and Real both had a policy in place that only Basques could play for them, I think Toshack scrapped that while boss of RS. So there’s a different mindset at these clubs.
Ajax is the model to copy and it’s great to see them do so well with homegrown talent. However they will eventually sell most of these players on to English Spanish or Italian clubs.

thing is, the model has been there for over 40 years , I think Ajax have not played a single game without at least one player being a product of their academy since 1982.. its been studied and copied to death by coaches, clubs and associations for years and had most of their coaches over that period enticed away from them { and as with the players almost instantly replaced } the Ajax model rolls on ,the copies get no or limited success..

Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 am

Bluesman wrote:Who have we brought through into the first team since Rambo, no one. Our management won't give youth a chance. We have been screaming out fir a right back all season, why haven't we given Cameron Coxe a chance. Perhaps we will in the Championship but I doubt it.

I've been saying this for the past 6 months or so. Why hasnt Cameron Coxe been given a chance? He's massively rated by Youth coaches and has been in all the Wales age groups apart from the senior team. So dissapointing that none of our youth players will probably be given a chance, i mean we dont even give them a start in cup games which has basically been rendered pointless by Warnock this season. We talk about possibly needing new midfielders next season which we do, but id like to see players like James Waite, Sion Spence or Lloyd Humphries given a chance to make an impression. I do sometimes wonder if Rabbi Matondo would have gotten a chance in our current setup tbh. Our under 18's have just won their division as well so hopefully there is a good lot of talent in that age group which hopefully one day will be given a chance.