Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EXCLUSIVE: £11M RATED CARDIFF CITY PLAYER WANTED BY

Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Exclusive: Burnley & Crystal Palace set sights on signing £11m Cardiff player

Written by Pete O’Rourke @ Football Insider

Friday 3rd May 2019

Crystal Palace and Burnley have set their sights on summer moves for winger Josh Murphy if Cardiff City suffer relegation from the Premier League, Football Insider understands.

Cardiff are battling to avoid relegation back to the Championship after one season in the top flight and Palace and Burnley are ready to pounce for Murphy in the summer if the Welsh club’s fate is sealed.

The attacker joined Cardiff last summer from Norwich City in an £11million deal after impressing in the Championship with the Canaries.

The former England Under-20 international has been one of Cardiff’s shining lights this season, despite not being a regular starter in Neil Warnock’s starting XI.

Murphy has made 28 appearances in all competitions, chipping in with three goals and one assist and a source close to the player has told Football Insider his performances have brought him on the radar of both Palace and Burnley.

Palace and Burnley are both looking to add their attacking options for next season and Murphy’s speed and versatility in that he can play anywhere across the frontline makes him an attractive proposition.

Cardiff would be reluctant to lose Murphy after just one season, but they accept they face a battle to keep hold of their best players, if they do drop out of the Premier League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EXCLUSIVE: £11M RATED CARDIFF CITY PLAYER WANTED BY

Fri May 03, 2019 1:56 am

Didnt know Josh played for Newcastle......... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 am

Hope someone signs him he is crap.

Fri May 03, 2019 5:42 am

Story's like this normally mean his agent is touting him about making stories up because he wants out.

He is a very good player but needs to be more consistent if he is to play in the premier league week in week out.

A front 3 of Murphy , Reid and mendez would tear the championship defences apart.

Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 am

Snap their hands off at a decent offer

Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 am

£12m and at least 25% of next transfer profit. Not shown enough bottle to develop more in my opinion

Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 am

Warnock has criticised him publicly this week, I wonder if he responded and is in the team for Palace?

If not then maybe Warnock will move him on in the Summer.

Fri May 03, 2019 8:46 am

id drive him my self loads of promise but doesnt show it enough for me id sell him for tha price

Fri May 03, 2019 9:13 am

Yep he def wants out. His agent making up stories that other clubs want him, what’s that based in I wonder? Don’t they realise we all know they use this tactic now. His scintillating performances down the wing? Bye bye josh :ayatollah:

Fri May 03, 2019 10:35 am

Bluesman wrote:Hope someone signs him he is crap.

He's hardly crap, he's one of the very few in our squad that has got something about him, problem is he is lightweight (get,s shoved off the ball easy) and very inconsistant, but on his day a match winner, let's hope it's tomorrow.

Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

Personally like him, yes a little inconsistent but I think he can be a good player for us. Maybe more suited to a attacking team but can see the improvement in his defensive game as the season has progressed. I hope he stays but if not I can see him doing well elsewhere.

Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm

So obviously a story that been fed by his agent. "A shining light this season." Do me a favour. He has had a few moments but beyond that has been a disapointment.

Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm

He's virtually unplayable when he's confident and at his best. He got the better of Alexander-Arnold at Anfield and looked by far our most dangerous player at the start of the season. I think Warnock has drained his confidence, he seems scared to express himself now as Warnock wants him to keep his game more simple and work on the defensive side of his game more.

Sadly, it's impossible for any player to continually sprint half the length of the pitch beating players and then sprint all the way back as soon as the ball is cleared to stop the counter attack. I love Warnock, but he should allow Murphy to focus on what he does best and if he's too knackered to immediately sprint back to cover after one of his lung bursting runs, someone else should fill in to cover until Murphy is able to get back.

Restricting Murphy to be more disciplined takes away the attacking threat he poses in the first place!

Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

I personally hope we keep hold of him.
Murphy, Mendez, Reid, Harris, Hoilett
yes please to all of these.

From where I sit - I'm 2 rows from the front in the Ninian stand 114, so like to think I see up front what these players do.
If if I was the man in charge Id be looking to keep all of them.

Fri May 03, 2019 12:43 pm

JJ1927 wrote:So obviously a story that been fed by his agent. "A shining light this season." Do me a favour. He has had a few moments but beyond that has been a disapointment.

Pretty big assumption, could be anyone feeding the story or just a journalist trying to make up a story. Maybe the club want rid of him and trying to drum up the price, maybe Burnley or palace leaked it to put pressure on a winger they are trying to get to sign a new deal.

Fri May 03, 2019 1:44 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I personally hope we keep hold of him.
Murphy, Mendez, Reid, Harris, Hoilett
yes please to all of these.

From where I sit - I'm 2 rows from the front in the Ninian stand 114, so like to think I see up front what these players do.
If if I was the man in charge Id be looking to keep all of them.

Sitting 2 rows from the front don’t make you an expert

Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Very good championship player along with reid and others but as nw chose not to play them wil they want to stay anyway? Don't think hes worth 11m but if given opportunity he could be decent for palace Burnley.....

Fri May 03, 2019 7:52 pm

£11 millions what we paid for him. I'd expect us to at lease recoup that back but hopefully make a few million quid profit too.

Sat May 04, 2019 6:42 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's virtually unplayable when he's confident and at his best. He got the better of Alexander-Arnold at Anfield and looked by far our most dangerous player at the start of the season. I think Warnock has drained his confidence, he seems scared to express himself now as Warnock wants him to keep his game more simple and work on the defensive side of his game more.

Sadly, it's impossible for any player to continually sprint half the length of the pitch beating players and then sprint all the way back as soon as the ball is cleared to stop the counter attack. I love Warnock, but he should allow Murphy to focus on what he does best and if he's too knackered to immediately sprint back to cover after one of his lung bursting runs, someone else should fill in to cover until Murphy is able to get back.

Restricting Murphy to be more disciplined takes away the attacking threat he poses in the first place!

Excellent post and you've got it spot on! :thumbright:

Sat May 04, 2019 7:44 am

Alan_in_China wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's virtually unplayable when he's confident and at his best. He got the better of Alexander-Arnold at Anfield and looked by far our most dangerous player at the start of the season. I think Warnock has drained his confidence, he seems scared to express himself now as Warnock wants him to keep his game more simple and work on the defensive side of his game more.

Excellent post and you've got it spot on! :thumbright:

It's also got to be mentally draining when you're getting taken out time after time by defenders and hardly getting any free kicks!

Sat May 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Mendez is by far the better winger if anything bids will come in for him