Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joe Bennett

Sat May 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Sorry but Joe Bennett just isn't up to the left back role.

Can't cross , can't track back and defending woeful against anyone with class.

Doubt he'll make it at championship level , maybe lower.

Blame today doesn't lie with him . Replacement for Camarasa poor but he had yet another poor game

Re: Joe Bennett

Sat May 04, 2019 6:08 pm

You don't mean that surely, he's been one of our best players over the past two seasons and one of the best left backs we've had in years.

To suggest he isn't even Championship level is poor form mate.

Sat May 04, 2019 6:15 pm

RV Casual wrote:You don't mean that surely, he's been one of our best players over the past two seasons and one of the best left backs we've had in years.

To suggest he isn't even Championship level is poor form mate.

Totally agree with you mate, idiotic post by OP. Like many in our squad, very good Championship player, but a bridge too far in the EPL

Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Thought he was actually ok today. Thought there were far worse players in the shape of Bacuna, Gunnarsson, and Murphy.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:02 pm

I think he will be in the Premier league next season.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Thought he was good today and on the other side Peltier kept Zaha pretty quiet.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Bennett should be our Player of the Season, in my opinion. Incredible how differently we all see the game of football...

Genuinely, of all our players, he’s the first one who I think we’ll be seeing PL clubs come in for this summer.

Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Thought he was abysmal today.

Sat May 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Dont know what you expect off most of our players. They aint premier league quality. And they playing against some of the best forwards in the world . Cant have a good game all the time.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 am

NIBluebird wrote:Sorry but Joe Bennett just isn't up to the left back role.

Blame today doesn't lie with him . Replacement for Camarasa poor but he had yet another poor game

Seems like we are in a minority on this forum but I agree cos for the life of me I cant see what people see in Bennett. Ironically the best game he had this season was last week at Fulham where he easily won his duel with Sessegnon. But for rest of the season he has been outclassed and was again yesterday as Townsend went passed him as if he didn't exist for the third goal. OK going forward at Championship level but cant defend full stop.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:31 am

He's been great for us this season far surpassed my expectations.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am

I have to chuckle.....Townsend, Sessegnon & Zaha.....Players we don't see too often in the championship.

Its not any of our players fault that as a collective they are not good enough. You can disguise one average player amongst good players, but when your best are average there is no hiding place.

Peltier never gave Zaha much although he scored, but he is poor going forward
Bennett held his own the week before against a potential top 6 youngster, but is often nowhere near the danger, is not bad supporting further up field
Manga stifled Salah but his passing is sometimes woeful
Etheridge is a great goalie but his kicking is shit

It was he same about Whitts, great passing and technical ability but weak in strength and the tackle

If they never had a but, they wouldn't be playing for Cardiff City

Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am

llan bluebird wrote:I have to chuckle.....Townsend, Sessegnon & Zaha.....Players we don't see too often in the championship.

Its not any of our players fault that as a collective they are not good enough. You can disguise one average player amongst good players, but when your best are average there is no hiding place.

Peltier never gave Zaha much although he scored, but he is poor going forward
Bennett held his own the week before against a potential top 6 youngster, but is often nowhere near the danger, is not bad supporting further up field
Manga stifled Salah but his passing is sometimes woeful
Etheridge is a great goalie but his kicking is shit

It was he same about Whitts, great passing and technical ability but weak in strength and the tackle.

If they never had a but, they wouldn't be playing for Cardiff City

jesus..kicking shit. youd complain if it was glen hoddle ffs..

Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm

I have no idea what position he's playing most games.

He keeps popping up all over the pitch - in the centre of midfield, on the wing and rarely in the full back position he's meant to be in.

Never seems to be anywhere near the opposition winger when the ball reaches him and is inconsistent in his performances.

Agree he was great against Fulham last week but has had some shocking performances this season.

Never got near Townsend yesterday when Townsend scored.

Tries his best though and can't fault him for his efforts. A very decent Championship player but not PL quality unfortunately.

Like so many of our players. Not their fault at all but they're not good enough for the Premier League.

They all deserve massive credit for the fantastic effort made this season. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

[quote="davids"]I have no idea what position he's playing most games.

He keeps popping up all over the pitch - in the centre of midfield, on the wing and rarely in the full back position he's meant to be in.

I think that's due to our ridiculous man marking system which means he has to track his guy everywhere. So when we play a team that rotates we look stupid and end up with Joe Bennett at Cm, Sean Morrison on the wing and Aron Gunnarsson at Centre Back.

Sun May 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Biggest problem is we have no other left back to give him some opposition
Imho he cant defend
Also imho the whole team are never tight enough and stand off the opposition
We seem to back off until theyre in our box
If ever backward running gets in the olympics we have gold medal contenders
However ive enjoyed the bonus of this season
And look foreward to next season knowing our debts are receding

Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Sorry but Joe Bennett just isn't up to the left back role.

Seems like we are in a minority on this forum but I agree cos for the life of me I cant see what people see in Bennett. Ironically the best game he had this season was last week at Fulham where he easily won his duel with Sessegnon. But for rest of the season he has been outclassed and was again yesterday as Townsend went passed him as if he didn't exist for the third goal. OK going forward at Championship level but cant defend full stop.

I was at Burnly, he made no over runs and was stagnant .
It's like he lacks ideas.

Anyone with speed and he's done for

At fault for Townsend goal yesterday

Just personal opinion

Sun May 05, 2019 3:55 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Biggest problem is we have no other left back to give him some opposition
Imho he cant defend

Cunningham was bought as a LB

I won't criticise our defensive formations it has confused some really good teams. Citeh struggled last season and Liverpool and Chelsea were flummoxed so much the ref had to help them. I genuinely believe that Gunnars biggest contribution was pointing who should mark who.

Sun May 05, 2019 4:31 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:Biggest problem is we have no other left back to give him some opposition
Imho he cant defend

Cunningham was bought as a LB

I won't criticise our defensive formations it has confused some really good teams. Citeh struggled last season and Liverpool and Chelsea were flummoxed so much the ref had to help them. I genuinely believe that Gunnars biggest contribution was pointing who should mark who.

I have to agree.

Gunnar's pointing this season has been top quality.