Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ 22 Liverpool fans ejected & 7 arrests ‘

Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Newcastle United and Liverpool fans clashed inside and outside St James’ Park on Saturday night.

The Guardian

Monday 7th May 2019

Violence inside and outside St James’ Park made an unwelcome return to Newcastle on Saturday night as Liverpool kept their title chances alive by beating Rafael Benítez’s side 3-2.

Northumbria police said 22 supporters were ejected from the ground and seven arrests made on a night when fighting in the stands spilled over into nearby streets.

In ugly scenes outside the stadium a group of home fans clashed with Liverpool counterparts as they boarded a coach taking them back to Merseyside, forcing baton-wielding police to intervene.

Earlier, security staff inside the stadium had struggled to control Liverpool fans who infiltrated home seating areas. Scuffles erupted in and around the hospitality areas and executive boxes high in the main Milburn Stand when what appeared to be a couple of dozen Liverpool fans openly celebrated the away team’s goals and raised all sorts of questions about the wisdom of 7.45pm Saturday-night kick-offs.

In a statement Newcastle United on Sunday night said: “Unfortunately, despite restricting match ticket sales to existing members and reminding fans that visiting supporters were not permitted in home areas, a number of Liverpool fans did obtain and use tickets initially held by Newcastle United fans. We can confirm that standard tickets were only sold by the club to existing Newcastle United members and no general admission tickets were sold to Liverpool supporters by Newcastle United beyond the visitors’ usual allocation.

“As is policy for all matches, supporters of both home and away clubs are welcome in hospitality areas at St James’ Park. However, club colours are prohibited and guests supporting the visiting club are asked to behave appropriately or risk facing ejection. The safety and security of all supporters is of paramount importance and club stewards, with the support of the police, did endeavour to eject any visiting fans from home and hospitality areas when outbreaks of disorder did regrettably occur.

“We can confirm that 22 individuals were ejected from St James’ Park on Saturday evening and were the away fans in parts of the home sections with seven arrests made. We will be reviewing supporter feedback and CCTV and we will be taking action against any supporter who sold or passed on tickets to Liverpool fans.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ 22 Liverpool fans ejected & 7 arrests ‘

Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Worst fans in football absolute bunch of cunts.

Mon May 06, 2019 4:44 pm

But but but its not their fault.

A real horrible fan base imo

Mon May 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Most of the away Liverpool fans Ive had the unfortunate pleasure of in close contact with - have been pretty much people I fell uncomfortable to be around if Im honest. The sort that would shake your hand one minute whilst mugging you 5 minutes later.

We have our fair share of idiots as well though

Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 pm

bout time this bunch of tossers get treated like everyone else...

I detest Liverpool and their band of Welsh fans. get a grip, fine them and start treating them like the rest of the nation because why is there 1 rule for these and 1 for everyone else...

Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Had a problem at Wembley with them in the Carling cup final a few years ago the set on us while getting my disabled dad into the car.
Hated them since school in the 80s why the Welsh support em so much I'll never no I hate the club hope they get there just rewards.

Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Both bunch of fans are tossers but I hope the red lot came off worse

Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 am

The plastic reds at it again! These idiots never learn, they seem to be stuck in an 80s time warp.