Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Morrison as a Defensive Midfielder

Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Hear me out first, because at first glance it seems stupid.

But if we can chuck someone like Bamba there, and he actually does a job sometimes even though when he comes out with the ball he often messes up. Morrison is a rock, can win every header infront of the defence to prevent any dangerous headers being directed towards our box, and he's actually alot better on the ball than people give him credit for. His switch to the flank last game was perfect, he ran down the right wing at one point too and actually put in a great cross (Obv not helpful as a CDM, just demonstrating his actual ability on the ball)

I do think he could be the rock infront of our defence and just behind our more attacking midfielders. I'd be interested to see it.

Manga & Bamba at the back, obviously possibly with a new CB to compete there too. I don't see why not.

Has all the attributes.

Re: Morrison as a Defensive Midfielder

Mon May 06, 2019 11:55 pm

rather Bamba there

Tue May 07, 2019 8:46 am

manga Morrison at cb and bamba in midfield

Tue May 07, 2019 9:13 am

First,second and third glance it looks stupid

Tue May 07, 2019 9:44 am

He is slow, non mobile and cannot pass. Doesn't have any of the attributes needed from a defensive midfielder. Might work against clubs who lump the ball forward but nobody else.

Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 am

JimCP91 wrote:He is slow, non mobile and cannot pass. Doesn't have any of the attributes needed from a defensive midfielder. Might work against clubs who lump the ball forward but nobody else.

^^^ this.

Tue May 07, 2019 10:29 am

JimCP91 wrote:He is slow, non mobile and cannot pass. Doesn't have any of the attributes needed from a defensive midfielder. Might work against clubs who lump the ball forward but nobody else.

Correct !!

I can't think of anyone less suited to playing in midfield. You may as well try Etheridge there too :roll: :lol:

Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 am

Let’s see if we can turn him into a defender first. Before we let him loose in midfield, lol.

Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 am

Probably the last player I would put there.

Tue May 07, 2019 11:58 am

Thought this was a Gunnar thread..........

Just joking ;)

Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm

I actually think that defensive midfield would be Callum Pattersons strongest position. He chases everything, tackles well, is good in the air and doesn't get bullied. He seems perfectly suited to the position

Out of the centre backs I would say Manga would probably suit it more than Morrison

Tue May 07, 2019 4:23 pm

thomasblue wrote:I actually think that defensive midfield would be Callum Pattersons strongest position. He chases everything, tackles well, is good in the air and doesn't get bullied. He seems perfectly suited to the position

Out of the centre backs I would say Manga would probably suit it more than Morrison

Tend to agree about Patterson.

Tue May 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Wow Morrison as a midfield player??!!!??
He’s about the last person in the squad who could do that job.

Fair play play, made me laugh though.
:lol:

Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 pm

paulh_85 wrote:First,second and third glance it looks stupid

Absolutely :thumbup:

Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Don,t think this a good idea although i do think Harris could make a great full back.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Deep Blue FC wrote:Hear me out first, because at first glance it seems stupid.

But if we can chuck someone like Bamba there, and he actually does a job sometimes even though when he comes out with the ball he often messes up. Morrison is a rock, can win every header infront of the defence to prevent any dangerous headers being directed towards our box, and he's actually alot better on the ball than people give him credit for. His switch to the flank last game was perfect, he ran down the right wing at one point too and actually put in a great cross (Obv not helpful as a CDM, just demonstrating his actual ability on the ball)

I do think he could be the rock infront of our defence and just behind our more attacking midfielders. I'd be interested to see it.

Manga & Bamba at the back, obviously possibly with a new CB to compete there too. I don't see why not.

Has all the attributes.

You asked a reasonable question and it doesn't need to be ridiculed :thumbup:

however, Morrison is a centre back and that is where he should remain

As for Bamba, he is not getting any younger and whilst he did a superb job further upfield at times, he couldn't do the job for any lengthy period and that has been alluded to before now :thumbright: