Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The moments when I heard Warnock was about to be...

Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 am

The moments when I heard Warnock was about to be...

Our manager 2 and a half years ago! I remember I was bracing myself ready to work a few long night shifts in a row. All of a sudden rumours starting emerging that Warnock was to be our manager. You have to remember at the time where we were as a club - still divided by the recent effects of the rebrand despite reverting back to blue and the dire football on the pitch. I could literally see us plummeting downwards to league 1 and even further. It was quite depressing down there but we still went despite the score lines and remained loyal.

Then suddenly it was looking likely that Warnock would sign within the next 24 hours - It felt like Christmas Eve did when I was a youngster, the same magical feeling you get as a child to meet your favourite players - or perhaps you never get to meet them but a glimpse of them on the pitch makes you stand there staring in awe of them. Then over the next couple of days including when Warnock actually signed and did his first interview for us - that was all I thought about and talked about. I kept wondering, I wonder what Warnocks doing right now? I hope he likes Cardiff. From the first time he walked into our training ground to meet the players to his first match. Bristol City at home - 2-1! An immediate response from the players and what a match to do it on. He then slowly began to drag us out of the ditch with some interesting scorelines such as Leeds away and derby away that season. Those previous losses were turning into draws and draws into wins.

We finished in a healthy position at the end of that season and against many odds and with many decisions going against us again - we gained AUTO promotion (we didn’t even finish I the play offs!). Just over A year and a half after he took over - I had already gained many of the best memories of supporting city since 2007. I still have to pinch myself that we actually got promoted - how on earth did we do it? How did he do it?

So when I here people saying they think we need a change now - My reaction is, you don’t know how good you’ve got it or we’ve got it should I say. It’s a complete no brainer for me that Warnock should stay for 1 more season. I’m telling you now that we won’t see another manager like him in terms of old school and his knowledge of the division again. Once he’s gone he’s gone and I wouldn’t be surprised if we then went into decline again. So enjoy Warnocks era whilst it’s here :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Re: The moments when I heard Warnock was about to be...

Wed May 08, 2019 9:47 am

Good post and valid points within :thumbup: :ayatollah: :clap:

Wed May 08, 2019 9:47 am

Spot on, you don't know what you've got until it's gone !!!!

Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 am

I don't think anyone can genuinely say he hasn't done anything other than an amazing job.

Personally I want him to stay but I can also see the logic in it if the club want to change the style of play then a new manager would be needed and imo now would be the time with a strong squad and likely investment from parachute payments.

I can see the logic both ways but then I'm not very sentimental when it comes to players and managers.

Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 am

People keep saying about giving managers time, well Warnock has earned time in spades. He's earned another season in charge without doubt. Whatever happens then we will be in a better place on and off the pitch thanks to him.

I know style of play isn't always great but overall he's got well over what most managers would be capable of getting out of this squad of players, without being given a blank canvass to do exactly what he wants.

If Reid has a season like Taarabt did for NWs QPR (which in my opinion he is capable of) then we will have a very exciting style of play this season, with 46 games to get it adapted. I don't think the PL allowed us the luxury to evolve our style of play.

Wed May 08, 2019 11:37 am

BrightBlueFuture wrote:People keep saying about giving managers time, well Warnock has earned time in spades. He's earned another season in charge without doubt. Whatever happens then we will be in a better place on and off the pitch thanks to him.

I know style of play isn't always great but overall he's got well over what most managers would be capable of getting out of this squad of players, without being given a blank canvass to do exactly what he wants.

If Reid has a season like Taarabt did for NWs QPR (which in my opinion he is capable of) then we will have a very exciting style of play this season, with 46 games to get it adapted. I don't think the PL allowed us the luxury to evolve our style of play.

Agreed and he has a full Summer transfer window to move out the players he doesn't want to keep and fill the gaps with players who he knows are capable of winning promotion again !!!!

No one knows this squad as well as him and his team, he is obviously the best man for the job.

Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am

Can someone tell how long has Warnocks contract got left 6 or 12 months?

Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm

theclaw wrote:Can someone tell how long has Warnocks contract got left 6 or 12 months?

12 months (to cover the whole of next season 2019/20) :thumbup:

Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Just think. Warnock can get us promotion then Pulis can take over and keep us there!

Wed May 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Sven wrote:
theclaw wrote:Can someone tell how long has Warnocks contract got left 6 or 12 months?

12 months (to cover the whole of next season 2019/20) :thumbup:

Cheers

Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm

I doubt many others would say, maybe I was alone but I didn't want Warnock for a number of reasons but I was WRONG and pleased to be.

I still don't think our squad was as bad as people make out, however, the man still worked wonders.

Wed May 08, 2019 1:40 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Just think. Warnock can get us promotion then Pulis can take over and keep us there!

I wonder if they could work together with a three-year plan, their football philosophies are not a million miles apart, and combined experience would be unbelievable.

Pullis probably the best in the business for keeping a weak squad in the Premier league and Warnock the best at getting average to good squads promoted.

Warnock in charge to take them up with Pullis as an adviser and head scout viewing players and could generally help out, next year reverse with Warnock taking a big back seat, but being on hand on like a part-time basis, the following year Warnock fully retires and Pullis appoints the next replacement as his right-hand man?

Thu May 09, 2019 5:53 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:The moments when I heard Warnock was about to be...

Our manager 2 and a half years ago! I remember I was bracing myself ready to work a few long night shifts in a row. All of a sudden rumours starting emerging that Warnock was to be our manager. You have to remember at the time where we were as a club - still divided by the recent effects of the rebrand despite reverting back to blue and the dire football on the pitch. I could literally see us plummeting downwards to league 1 and even further. It was quite depressing down there but we still went despite the score lines and remained loyal.

Then suddenly it was looking likely that Warnock would sign within the next 24 hours - It felt like Christmas Eve did when I was a youngster, the same magical feeling you get as a child to meet your favourite players - or perhaps you never get to meet them but a glimpse of them on the pitch makes you stand there staring in awe of them. Then over the next couple of days including when Warnock actually signed and did his first interview for us - that was all I thought about and talked about. I kept wondering, I wonder what Warnocks doing right now? I hope he likes Cardiff. From the first time he walked into our training ground to meet the players to his first match. Bristol City at home - 2-1! An immediate response from the players and what a match to do it on. He then slowly began to drag us out of the ditch with some interesting scorelines such as Leeds away and derby away that season. Those previous losses were turning into draws and draws into wins.

We finished in a healthy position at the end of that season and against many odds and with many decisions going against us again - we gained AUTO promotion (we didn’t even finish I the play offs!). Just over A year and a half after he took over - I had already gained many of the best memories of supporting city since 2007. I still have to pinch myself that we actually got promoted - how on earth did we do it? How did he do it?

So when I here people saying they think we need a change now - My reaction is, you don’t know how good you’ve got it or we’ve got it should I say. It’s a complete no brainer for me that Warnock should stay for 1 more season. I’m telling you now that we won’t see another manager like him in terms of old school and his knowledge of the division again. Once he’s gone he’s gone and I wouldn’t be surprised if we then went into decline again. So enjoy Warnocks era whilst it’s here :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Top post says it all :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thu May 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Great Post sums up my feelings