Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL WARNOCK: “ Friday 10th May 2019 “

Thu May 09, 2019 5:46 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: " NEIL WARNOCK UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS " :bluebird: :bluebird:

Friday 10th May 2019 :bluebird:

NEIL WARNOCK:

Anything you can tell us about your future?

Not a lot. I’m seeing Mehmet and Ken on Monday – we’re having a full day together, discussing all aspects of the club. I’m aware of what Vincent’s said but I’ve been so busy I’ve had so many things to do, I haven’t really had the time.”

Tan's backing

“I wasn’t aware of it. I’ve not spoken to Vincent since the last game. I’m sure I’ll get filled in on Monday about all the behind the scenes.
“I’ve got to just speak to them about every aspect of the club. That’s what we were going to do anyway so that’s nothing new. They appreciate how busy the last two weeks have been. I’ve got my own idea of what I want to say to them and to try and help the club going forward, and I’m sure Mehmet and Ken will be transferring our conversation to Vincent. I don’t know whether Vincent is coming on Sunday but he possibly will be.”

All set for a ninth promotion then?

“It’s a challenge. I wish it wasn’t that. I wish we were still in the PL. It’s been a busy week this week and one of the days one afternoon we were in the children’s hospice at Ty Hafan. When you have two or three It brings you down to earth. Football pales into insignificance.”

:bluescarf: :bluebird: " READ ALL NEIL WARNOCKS UPDATES BELOW " :bluebird: :bluebird:

Warnock seeks assurances over transfers -

Warnock eyeing new signings

Plans for new training ground
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK:

Thu May 09, 2019 5:49 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Got your Sheffield United season ticket?

No. I did message Chris. It’s a tremendous achievement I think everybody though they’d fall by the wayside. They showed tremendous resilience. I think Gary helped as well. It’s great for them to be there. If they can sort their ownership out they should have a successful time ahead.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 09, 2019 5:51 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

On Ole

“The plus for him is he’s not like me. He’s got absolute top quality players. He can buy top quality players, so it’s a little bit different.”

“He will be judged on the signings he makes and the money they spend. Because they have wasted a lot of money. I was listening to David Moyes last week and have they improved any more than when David Moyes was there? It’s an easy situation for the fans - get rid of the manager. But you’ve then got to support them and have structure where you can sign the best players available to move the club forward. It does seem that over the years you wonder how much thought has gone into some of the signings. But I can’t see them catching up the top clubs for another four or five years. But I think they will.”

Ole Gunner Solskjaer

Thu May 09, 2019 5:52 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

On United

“They beat us easily when they played us earlier. They really walked all over us and I imaging they’ll want to do the same. I think we’ve improved since then. They had a difficult period to start with then Ole came in and changed it round. Now they’re having another difficult period. That’s football. There’s only Man City and Liverpool that don’t have difficult times and United will have to catch up with those teams to get to where they want to be.”

Warnock's Old Trafford memories

“We want to win the last game. We’re taking a lot of people up there. I remember the first time I went up there, as usual they got two disputed decisions. I think it was Robson and Hughes scored and they asked me what my memory was, and I said ‘when I walked onto the pitch’. I knew we’d arrived because the ‘keep off the pitch’ sign was in nine languages!”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:53 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Still keen?

“I’m keen to manage, yeah. I just love managing. I know it will be my last game on Sunday in the Premier League. When I look back to Gainsborough Trinity, a young manager with ambitions at the bottom rungs [of the league], I used to wake up in the middle of the night and imagine my ambitions written on the ceiling.”

“The main one was to manage at the top level and the other was to try and take a team to Wembley. They were my dreams and now to be in my 40th year, I just find it incredible.
“Yes I’ve got relegated and I’m sure I’ll get cast with that but I think in the circumstances I’ve had a fabulous career. I’ve really enjoyed it and the best thing for me is I think I’ve made fans of my club happy. Things you can’t put a price on. That’s what you’re in management for.”

NEIL WARNOCK:

A great week for the Premier League

I don’t think today I could be prouder to be Premier League manager. I know this is our last conference as a Premier League manager, but I couldn’t be prouder when I see what’s happened this week. I’m ever so pleased for the four teams in Europe. It’s been a great week for English football.
I think it’s been the best week for English football, in my lifetime. You forget things that happen in the past. It’s just been the manner of it. You’re talking about the best club in the world at times in Barcelona, and talking about liverpool with two or three players missing. It’s amazing what happens. Same with Spurs.”

NEIL WARNOCK:

All set for a ninth promotion then?

“It’s a challenge. I wish it wasn’t that. I wish we were still in the PL. It’s been a busy week this week and one of the days one afternoon we were in the children’s hospice at Ty Hafan. When you have two or three It brings you down to earth. Football pales into insignificance.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:54 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

On support from fans

“I’ve never seen anything like it. Sharon was the same. I’ve been most places and this season there’s been a lot of things that I’ve never experienced.”

“That was the top of the whole lot. When people appreciate what you do and the circumstances that’s’ all you can hope for. Fans and you guys are all experts and you’ve all got the right answers, but when you see the whole ground react like that, what better way could you finish off than with a support like that.”

“It was very touching and emotional. Even the Palace fans. I had such a great time there, although I wish I’d never signed that Zaha back!”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:54 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Warnock eyeing new signings

“I think it’s vital that we can look to get 2 or 3 signings as quickly as possible really. WE know generally what our squad’s like and that’s why we have a meeting on Monday to discuss where we are.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Are you planning for life after Cardiff?

“The club has to look to the future. I know that. All we’ve got to do is see if we can get the right players in to give us a chance. Without the players I think we’ll be one of a number of teams but if we get two or three good players in, I think we could set off the season on a high and continue throughout.
“I don’t think we vary our game more than 10 or 15 per cent. I think it could be an exciting time and it would be nice for me to leave them in the top flight and then who knows what I could do. The involvement is very good. The club will always be here that’s the main thing and it’s in the ideal place now.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Have you spoken to the players?

“I’ve spoken to almost every one of the players for 10-15 minutes. Not just going through the season. Expectations for next season and there will be some people leaving. But football goes on and I think the lads know that this is a hell of a squad we’ve got for the Championship. We’ve got a stronger squad than we had last time.”

“What we’ve been through this year will stand us in good stead.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Future of the club and how its changed since you arrived

“When you see everybody pulling together. The crowd last weekend and everywhere you go in town. I went to Specsaveers last week and I got accosted by about 20 people in a five minute walk. The place is buzzing. It’s the capital of Wales and it’s a wonderful city.”

“ What I noticed last weekend is how many kids are coming in with their parents and grandparents. That’s what you’ve got to do. You’ve got to get the youngsters involved.”

“We’ve had full houses nearly every week and I think we’ll have decent crowds next season because it’s more than a football match. There wasn’t a lot of expectation when I came in but it now feels like a football club as one. It’s a club on the rise and has all the capacity to go forward. I think the club could take off and we could see 40,50000 here.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:58 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Pundits backing you for promotion

“I just keep reminding people about Stoke, Swansea and West Brom. It’s not going to be as easy as that. I think the good thing for us is that we;ve got a group of lads that know what it’s like to play in the Championship. I think our lads know that and we’ve got a head start in that regard.”

Thu May 09, 2019 5:58 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Impact on players

“I think the lads are like me. They all reflect on what if. We’ve all made mistakes. We could’ve done better and got more points. The Chelsea game killed us really without a doubt.”

“I’ve never seen a group of lads have so many ups and downs emotionally in one season. It will be nice to get cracking on an ordinary season next season. They’ve coped in their own way, but because of the fans it’s been easier for everybody. If they’d been on our backs it would have been a nightmare, but I’ve never known a more realistic group of fans”

Thu May 09, 2019 6:00 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Importance of bowing out on a high

“I don’t think we need to worry about that [bowing out on a high]. The lads are disappointed like me and I think you get what you see really, and what better to end than the Theatre of Dreams. I think it’s quite appropriate really. It’s always been a special place and no disrespect to all the other clubs - Anfield’s tremendous too. Where I came from United was the place growing up and it’s always got a special atmosphere.”

Thu May 09, 2019 6:03 am

Cardiff City travel to Manchester to face a United side without a win in their previous four Premier League encounters. Their last taste of victory came at home against Manuel Pellegrini’s West Ham on 13th April. The 13-time Premier League champions’ most recent match saw them draw 1-1 with last-placed Huddersfield Town - the result ending United’s chances of UEFA Champions League qualification.

Earlier in the season, United exited the Carabao Cup and FA Cup at the hands of Derby County and Wolves respectively. Despite a disappointing Premier League campaign, the club reached the Quarter Final stages of this season’s UEFA Champions League, defeating Paris Saint Germain on away goals in the last 16, before bowing out to Barcelona.

In the hot seat

On the 19th December 2018, Ole Gunnar Solskjær was unveiled as the club’s caretaker boss, following the departure of José Mourinho.

After a formidable run of form which saw him triumph in his opening six Premier League fixtures, the 46-year-old was handed the role on a permanent basis on 28th March. Since the boss put pen-to-paper to a three-year contract at Old Trafford his side have registered two wins from nine matches in all competitions.

Prior to his current job, the Kristiansund-born boss managed Molde FK, who he guided to two Norwegian First Division titles. He joined the Bluebirds in January 2014, but after a spell which saw him secure nine wins from 30 matches in charge, the Norwegian departed the club and later reunited with Molde FK.

During his playing days, he was a club legend for the Red Devils, with whom he collected six Premier League titles and two FA Cups. His greatest achievement at the club came when his famous winning goal against Bayern Munich in the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final sealed the club’s treble during their 1998-1999 campaign.

The Red Devils are set to be without several senior players ahead of this Sunday’s encounter. Eric Bailly, Sergio Romero, Jesse Lingard, Romelu Lukaku and Antonio Valencia all missed the club’s last Premier League encounter against the Terriers, whilst Alexis Sánchez also remains a doubt after he was forced off through injury against Jan Siewert’s men.

Former Bluebirds fans’ favourite Fábio da Silva made 56 appearances for our opponents, netting 3 times. During his time in Manchester, he won the 2010-2011 Premier League title as well as the Community Shield in the same season. At the end of January 2014, the Brazilian joined the Bluebirds during our 2013-2014 Premier League campaign and represented the club 68 times in all competitions.

Federico Macheda is another to have represented both the Bluebirds and our opposition. The now 27-year-old netted five goals for the Red Devils from 36 appearances. The Italian’s most memorable strike came deep into injury-time against Aston Villa at Old Trafford in April 2009, stealing the headlines in a 3-2 win. In May 2014, he joined the Bluebirds and during his spell in South Wales he netted 8 times in 33 appearances. Macheda is currently plying his trade for Greek outfit Panathinaikos.

Wilfried Zaha won the Community Shield for the Red Devils in 2013, but after a lack of first team football, he signed for the Bluebirds on a season-long loan deal on deadline day in January 2014, going on to make 13 appearances for the Club.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am

The latest betting odds

Odds courtesy of Sky Bet, correct at time of publishing.

Manchester United win 1/4

Draw 19/4

Cardiff City 17/2

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: “ Friday 10th May 2019 “

Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

The strange side United could field

Cardiff City may get to rue even more not taking their Premier League relegation fight to the final game of the season at Old Trafford on Sunday.

With their stay in the top flight ended by Crystal Palace in a 3-2 defeat at the Cardiff City Stadium last Saturday, this weekend Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds could be up against one of the strangest looking sides United have fielded in the Premier League.

Because United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has drafted in youngsters Angel Gomes, Dylan Levitt, Arnau Puigmal, Mason Greenwood, James Garner and Tahith Chong into training this week for the season finale against his former side.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 am

Here are the key dates Cardiff City and Swansea City fans need ahead of the 2019/20 season.

Transfer window

The transfer window officially opens on Thursday, May 16.

It closes at 5pm on Thursday, August 8, prior to the start of the 2019/20 Premier League campaign.

Championship clubs are no longer able to sign players on loan after August 8.

League One and League Two clubs will be able to sign players on loan or on a permanent basis until the end of August.

Championship

Fixture release date - Thursday, June 20 at 9am

Opening fixture - Saturday, August 3 (with a likely live game on August 2)

Play-off final - Monday, May 25, 2020

Carabao Cup

Round one fixtures - w/c August 12

Carabao Cup final - Sunday, March 1, 2020

A general view of the Carabao Cup
EFL Trophy

EFL Trophy round one – w/c September 2

EFL Trophy final – Sunday, April 5, 2020

Draw dates for the FA Cup, Carabao Cup and the EFL Trophy will be announced in due course.

Fri May 10, 2019 10:05 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

What does European success say about Premier League?

I’m really proud about the Premier League. The standard it is now is beyond all recognition to even five years ago. It’s just gone up so much and will continue to do so with the money coming in. People want to see our football, the high intensity. I like to see teams play British football and get stuck in and I thought Liverpool did that. Games like Liverpool put bums on seats really and teams need that.”

Fri May 10, 2019 10:21 am

Neil Warnock:

Tan's backing

“I wasn’t aware of it. I’ve not spoken to Vincent since the last game. I’m sure I’ll get filled in on Monday about all the behind the scenes.
“I’ve got to just speak to them about every aspect of the club. That’s what we were going to do anyway so that’s nothing new. They appreciate how busy the last two weeks have been. I’ve got my own idea of what I want to say to them and to try and help the club going forward, and I’m sure Mehmet and Ken will be transferring our conversation to Vincent. I don’t know whether Vincent is coming on Sunday but he possibly will be.”

Fri May 10, 2019 10:23 am

NEIL WARNOCK:

Anything you can tell us about your future?

Not a lot. I’m seeing Mehmet and Ken on Monday – we’re having a full day together, discussing all aspects of the club. I’m aware of what Vincent’s said but I’ve been so busy I’ve had so many things to do, I haven’t really had the time.”