Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Lee Tomlin / Omar Bogle / Gary Madine & Ciaron Brown '

Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 am

What's happening now with Cardiff City's players out on loan

The Bluebirds currently have a number of players out on loan all of which were signed when Caridff were in the Championship.

Do any of these players have a future?

We take a look at how they have got on at their loan clubs and whether they have a future with the club.

Gary Madine

Madine recently celebrated his second successive promotion to the Premier League following a relatively successful loan spell at Sheffield United after joining them in January.

He fared better in front of goal than he has for Cardiff, scoring three goals in 16 appearances, 10 of which have been from the substitutes' bench.

The 28-year-old grabbed a brace in the Blades' 4-0 win over Reading and also found the back of the net in the 1-1 draw against Millwall. As well as the goals, he provided a strong focal point for United’s attacking play.

The striker who cost Cardiff £6million is reportedly set to hold talks with Chris Wilder about making his move permanent this summer and if Cardiff can recoup a large percentage of the fee they signed him for it is unlikely they will stand in his way.

Omar Bogle

Omar Bogle during his time at Birmingham City (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Bogle has had two loan spells this season. Until January, he was with Birmingham in the Championship; currently he is on loan at League One play-off contenders Portsmouth, but he is injured at present and may not be available.

Despite featuring regularly in August, he found his game-time limited due to the strong partnership formed by Birmingham strikers Che Adams and Lukas Jutkiewicz. He did, however, score one goal which came on Boxing Day against Stoke.

Since January, his time at Pompey has been successful. He has scored four goals in 12 matches, including one on his debut against eventual title winners Luton.

The 25-year-old played well in patches for Cardiff last season, scoring three times, including one in the Severnside derby against Bristol City when he also got sent off. He does not appear to be in Neil Warnock’s plans, but he could be a handy back-up option for the Bluebirds.

Lee Tomlin

Lee Tomlin in Peterborough United colours (Image: Alex Burstow/Getty Images)

Tomlin has been a regular starter since rejoining his former side Peterborough on loan in January.

He has played for the Posh 21 times in all competitions, scoring twice, and also saw red against Plymouth in February after picking up a second yellow card for raising a hand to an opposition player.

The 30-year-old is highly unlikely to have a future with Cardiff and will probably be moved on, either permanently or on loan again.

While Cardiff will be unlikely to receive a transfer fee for any potential sale, they would save a lot in terms of wages.

Ciaron Brown

The young centre-back has been on loan at Scottish Premier League side Livingston since the end of January.

He has featured five times for the Scottish club, with four of those being starts.

Livingston manager Gary Holt was impressed with Brown’s debut against Kilmarnock and described him as a player “who will put his body on the line for you”.

Brown is yet to make his first-team debut for the Bluebirds, but was an unused substitute for Cardiff’s defeat to Norwich in the second round of this year's Carabao Cup in August.

He has been a standout performer for the Cardiff Under-23 side since joining from non-league Wealdstone in January 2018.

It would not be surprising to see Brown provide defensive cover on the bench a few times next season, although he would gain further experience from going out on loan again.

Conclusion

There are many players who have been out of the picture this season, either due to being out on loan as mentioned above or by being left out of the Premier League squad, which has been the case for the likes of Matthew Connolly, Loic Damour and Stuart O’Keefe, who is now in the final month of his contract.

It is likely that a lot of these players will be moved on for nominal fees or free transfers, but it would free-up some of the wage budget for the Bluebirds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Lee Tomlin / Omar Bogle / Gary Madine & Ciaron Brown '

Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am

Can’t we just put a sign outside the ground saying Club has moved,hopefully they’ll drive past and find another Club

Thu May 09, 2019 12:09 pm

I know nothing of Ciaron Brown so cant say.

The other three can go, of them 3 I can only see Medine getting a chance here if we cant move him on. The other two are finished.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Tomlin looking overweight still.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Tomlin looking overweight still.

I only checked his games a few times but quite often he was on the bench. I think we are going to have to pay him off.

Thu May 09, 2019 3:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

I only checked his games a few times but quite often he was on the bench. I think we are going to have to pay him off.

I've always had this hope that the penny will finally drop with him and he'll come back fit and lean because I still reckon he's a talented player and is a technical maverick, but he just doesn't seem to have the drive to better himself and is more concerned with golf by the looks of it. Shame as I still reckon he'd be a good player to use next season in peak condition. What a waste of talent.

Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I've always had this hope that the penny will finally drop with him and he'll come back fit and lean because I still reckon he's a talented player and is a technical maverick, but he just doesn't seem to have the drive to better himself and is more concerned with golf by the looks of it. Shame as I still reckon he'd be a good player to use next season in peak condition. What a waste of talent.

Very true.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am

At one time I though Bogle was going to be that striker we have been missing all this time since Chropr/Bothroyd left us. I was disappointed when he was sent out on loan as I always feel that is the start of the end for us.