Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Which was the best comeback?

Thu May 09, 2019 10:00 am

Which was the best comeback?

Premier League's Spurs or Liverpool's Semi-final Championship comebacks?

For a section of North London, Wednesday night was the stuff of dreams. Trailing youthful upstart Ajax 1-0 going into the second leg in Amsterdam, Spurs' tails were down and hopes of the club's first UEFA Champions League final looking bleak.
The final 3-3 aggregate scoreline seemed unfathomable 35 minutes in, when Ajax moved two goals ahead on the night courtesy of Matthijs de Ligt's header and Hakim Ziyech's fine strike, but a stunning Lucas Moura hat-trick turned the night around in spectacular style, with Spurs winning thanks to the away goals rule.

As the game moved into the final minute of stoppage time with the game poised at 2-2 on the night, Moura produced his final moment of magic to send Tottenham through and leave the young Ajax side stunned, and football fans -- and commentators -- delirious.

But as stunning as it was, Spurs' late win was arguably second fiddle to the preceding night, with English club Liverpool completing one of the great Champions League comebacks to knock out the mighty Barcelona and reach a second consecutive Champions League final.

Liverpool coming back from a three-goal deficit to inflict a stunning 4-3 defeat on the Catalans(Barcelona), it had shades of the northwest club's famous 2005 Champions League final win over AC Milan, in which it came back from three goals at half time to stun the Italians in a penalty shootout to raise the cup for the fifth time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Which was the best comeback?

Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

Spurs for me as they were away from home and without Kane

Both incredible though.

Thu May 09, 2019 10:29 am

No doubt turning over a 3-0 deficit against Barca is the better one. Not only to overturn it but to also keep a clean sheet was amazing.

Both great turn arounds though and its been a top Champions League!

Thu May 09, 2019 10:56 am

Both were surreal and of credit to their clubs :clap:

But Spurs for me, as they did it all in 45 crazy minutes after being torn a new one in the first half and the last-minute winner from hat-trick hero Lucas Moura was the icing on the cake

Going to be an intriguing final and whilst my preference is for a Spurs win, I think any English Premier League team that wins is good for the game here

Hoping Arsenal and Chelski get through their games safely tonight to make it two European Finals and four Premier League clubs involved

Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am

Both unbelievable, I suppose beating Barcelona four nil after they rested the whole 11 players in the game before is the greatest achievement, especially as they were without Salah.

Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am

100% spurs for me

Both amazing though

Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Spurs for me.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Surely has to be Liverpool,Barca with the most feared strike force in the world. L/pool had two massive hurdles to overcome.
1 it was essential the kept a clean sheet, one goal from Barca meant they would need five.2/ At the same time they had to overcome a three goal deficit and score four, against Barca of all clubs, plus having to do all this without their two regular strikers. For me the greatest comeback ever,no other club in the world has come even close to turning Barcelona over with four goals.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Don't see how you can say Spurs. People thought Spurs were beat for about 30 minutes and then people believed.

Liverpool were knocked out of the competition over a week ago.

Liverpool's comeback was more obsurd. The spurs one was amazing but it wasn't as huge as Liverpool (without Salah, Keita, Firmino etc) beating Barcelona (Messi, Suarez, Pique, etc)

They're still huge comebacks obviously, and the last minute goal is why it competes with the Barcelona game. But Spurs should never have been 3-0 down, and scoring 3 or 4 was never out of the question on the 1st minute.

Barcelona though, Liverpool should'nt have scored a single goal nevermind 4! Barcelona are the best team in the world, the best defence, best attack, and Liverpool pummeled them with 4 goals and EVEN kept a clean sheet. The atmosphere at Anfield made that extra special too.

Can't possibly say Spurs was better.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Deep Blue FC wrote:Don't see how you can say Spurs. People thought Spurs were beat for about 30 minutes and then people believed.

Liverpool's comeback was more obsurd. The spurs one was amazing but it wasn't as huge as Liverpool (without Salah, Keita, Firmino etc) beating Barcelona (Messi, Suarez, Pique, etc)

They're still huge comebacks obviously, and the last minute goal is why it competes with the Barcelona game. But Spurs should never have been 3-0 down, and scoring 3 or 4 was never out of the question on the 1st minute.

Barcelona though, Liverpool should'nt have scored a single goal nevermind 4! Barcelona are the best team in the world, the best defence, best attack, and Liverpool pummeled them with 4 goals and EVEN kept a clean sheet. The atmosphere at Anfield made that extra special too.

I can and I will :lol:

Barcelona flopping out the champions League and Messi bottling a big game is about as standard as it comes.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Deep Blue FC wrote:Don't see how you can say Spurs. People thought Spurs were beat for about 30 minutes and then people believed.

Can't possibly? :?

Seems many have, including me, but you're welcome to your opinion (that's all it is) despite what certain others might have you believe :thumbright:

Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Liverpool by a country mile.
Spurs game got nothing on that, coming back from 3-0 down against one of the best teams on the planet

Thu May 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Sven wrote:

Seems many have, including me, but you're welcome to your opinion (that's all it is) despite what certain others might have you believe :thumbright:

He lost me when he claimed Barcelona are the best team in the world... Based on what? They havnt even been the best team in Europe since 2014/15 never mind the world.

Then says Spurs should never have been 3 down, err neither should Liverpool, anyone who watched the first leg at the Nou Camp would know the scoreline didn't reflect the game.

Thu May 09, 2019 5:37 pm

True mate, Barca are in slow decline for a few seasons now. Rakatic and Busquets dont have the same influence, Suarez no longer as mobile. They never truly replaced Iniesta.

Thu May 09, 2019 5:42 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Sven wrote:

He lost me when he claimed Barcelona are the best team in the world... Based on what? They havnt even been the best team in Europe since 2014/15 never mind the world.

Then says Spurs should never have been 3 down, err neither should Liverpool, anyone who watched the first leg at the Nou Camp would know the scoreline didn't reflect the game.

Spot on RV but this is from the guy who thinks Morrison should play in midfield for us :laughing6:

Spurs better comeback for me.

Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Sven wrote:

Spot on RV but this is from the guy who thinks Morrison should play in midfield for us :laughing6:

Spurs better comeback for me.

Paul, I agree :thumbup:

Both great 'comebacks' but for me, Liverpool won a single game 4-0 against opposition (Barca) that seemed to roll over for some odd reason (same as last year)

Spurs were losing 2-0 (3-0 on aggregate) at half-time on the night to a team that seemed to in the groove, yet they turned it around in 45 magical minutes to secure their place in the final

Ajax weren't exactly poor last night but (the night before) Barca were! :thumbup:

Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm

spurs better 3 goals in 45 mins away from home was awesome

Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 pm

rumpo kid wrote:True mate, Barca are in slow decline for a few seasons now. Rakatic and Busquets dont have the same influence, Suarez no longer as mobile. They never truly replaced Iniesta.

I agree both fantastic, but before a ball was kicked I would have expected Spurs to possibly get a draw or narrow win, but I didn't expect Liverpool to get anything against a Barcelona team that had a three nil lead and only needed one goal to leave Liverpool having to score five, Barca also had the best player in the World up front, with one of the Worlds best Strikers alongside.

Granted the comeback was good for Spurs after a poor first half, but Ajax on not in the same League as Barcelona, the same as Spurs are nowhere near as good as Liverpool.

Thu May 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Before the 2nd legs - Liverpool as they needed to get 3 goals just to get level .

In game time Tottenham as they needed to get 3 goals away from home .

Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Before the 2nd legs - Liverpool as they needed to get 3 goals just to get level .

In game time Tottenham as they needed to get 3 goals away from home .

That's a fair analysis.