Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

European Finals

Thu May 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Should UEFA have some default option on where a final is held if you have 2 finalists from the same country?

How much will it cost Arsenal and Chelsea fans to get to Baku now probably all looking to book the same flights. Wembley is just about smack bang in the middle and a 10 min tube ride away.

No doubt two stadiums/cities in the UK could stage the Champions League/ Europa League finals at short notice and Madrid & Baku could have next seasons finals

Re: European Finals

Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Would be totally unfair on Baku and Madrid after they've been chosen to host the two prestigious events.

When there was the Super Cup in Cardiff for Real Madrid v Sevilla, just imagine the response if UEFA decided to move it to a Spanish venue at the last minute.

You say Baku and Madrid can have next year's finals, but venues for those finals have already been decided.

These things take a long time to prepare for as well so it would never be logistically possible either.

No from me.

Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Pencoed wrote:Should UEFA have some default option on where a final is held if you have 2 finalists from the same country?

How much will it cost Arsenal and Chelsea fans to get to Baku now probably all looking to book the same flights. Wembley is just about smack bang in the middle and a 10 min tube ride away.

No doubt two stadiums/cities in the UK could stage the Champions League/ Europa League finals at short notice and Madrid & Baku could have next seasons finals

No it shouldn’t be like that at all.

They couldn’t just have next seasons as it’s already been chosen.

Should the final held in n Cardiff of been moved so it’s a bit closer to Italy and Spain.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:43 am

Pencoed wrote:Should UEFA have some default option on where a final is held if you have 2 finalists from the same country?

You cant change events of that size with less than 3 weeks notice and although they should move the semi-finals forward it still wouldn't allow for that. Scrap the 4 week round of 16 for a start and go back to 2 weeks, the European dates are taking up too much of the calendar these days.

The scousers and Spurs fans can at least get in a car if all else fails. Arsenal and Chelsea fans are a bit f_cked to be honest. Very limited choices in and out of Baku. I paid a bit over £ 1200 for the flights out there in November, but that was for 8 of us. I doubt they'll get there and back for that each. There's no availability on our route through Istanbul for a week before the game. Will probably a distinct shortage of charter planes available with prices to match.

Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 am

No

But what should happen is UEFA and the clubs should get together with a major airline and charter dedicated flights to that city to stop fans being ripped off by airlines

Fri May 10, 2019 8:57 am

Cannot change things on a whim but the astonishing thing is apparently Chelsea and arsenal have 6k tickets each in a 68k stadium!! :roll: UEFA family as grown since wed by some 20k people? :laughing6:

Fri May 10, 2019 9:04 am

thomasblue wrote:No

But what should happen is UEFA and the clubs should get together with a major airline and charter dedicated flights to that city to stop fans being ripped off by airlines

Sport Options do this - I have used them for England Trips previously and better than the official tour packages arranged by the English FA.

They normally do a couple of options, fly in and out the same day leaving around 6 in morning and returning straight after game or a one or two night stay depending on where they playing.

I am sure I have read that flights around 700 notsure if they doing overnight stays.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:05 am

pembroke allan wrote:Cannot change things on a whim but the astonishing thing is apparently Chelsea and arsenal have 6k tickets each in a 68k stadium!! :roll: UEFA family as grown since wed by some 20k people? :laughing6:

Hered that that morning on the radio. Unreal.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 am

Dobbin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:No

Sport Options do this - I have used them for England Trips previously and better than the official tour packages arranged by the English FA.

They normally do a couple of options, fly in and out the same day leaving around 6 in morning and returning straight after game or a one or two night stay depending on where they playing.

I am sure I have read that flights around 700 notsure if they doing overnight stays.

Said on the Radio that Spurs fans are lucky that TUI have managed to get some planes to fly the fans over via the Club at £500 plus a pop.

That Simon Calder guy came up with some great alternatives, you can get a week's holiday for £369 3* Hotel with breakfast and then catch a fast train to Madrid lol.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 am

pembroke allan wrote:Cannot change things on a whim but the astonishing thing is apparently Chelsea and arsenal have 6k tickets each in a 68k stadium!! :roll: UEFA family as grown since wed by some 20k people? :laughing6:

I was fortunate enough to benefit through the football family for tickets for the champions league final in Cardiff - Cost around £395 per ticket tend to be the higher category tickets.

Could have applied for tickets for both Champions League and Europa League finals this year.

There are soime genuine people that secure tickets through the football family and are more than deserved. :thumbup:

Fri May 10, 2019 11:47 am

I get you can't alter the final this year but its something that could be looked at going forward.

Realistically only England or Spain would have two finalists Italy &Germany at push 4 countries have Stadiums and infrastructure that could host a final at short notice.

The original host city still gets to host the event a year later.

It doesn't seem right that Arsenal and Chelsea fans will pay thousands to get to Baku when there is a World class stadium a short train ride away.

Fri May 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Just found flights to Baku the day before and returning the day after the final for around £ 400. Slight downside it means going through Tehran. Now cup finals are ten a penny for clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea so you could see supporters coming to the conclusion that its not worth the risk. I think I would though, I just wouldn't tell the wife.

Fri May 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Just found flights to Baku the day before and returning the day after the final for around £ 400. Slight downside it means going through Tehran. Now cup finals are ten a penny for clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea so you could see supporters coming to the conclusion that its not worth the risk. I think I would though, I just wouldn't tell the wife.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm

I think if you have 2 teams from the same country in the final of a European Competition i think it should be held in that same country, yes they plan the venue ahead of time but somewhere like the Millennium/Principality Stadium would of been ideal because then its a neutral venue for both teams. And Wales can host the best competition in the world at the Millennium/Principality Stadium. So Why Not.

I think it's a crime for the supporters going to Baku with only 6,000 tickets available in a 60-70 thousand capacity stadium. I mean do Baku have the population to fill in the stadium? All im saying is that more than half the stadium should be filled with the 2 teams supporters not just people who are billionaires or random people who just want to see both teams who are local.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:I think if you have 2 teams from the same country in the final of a European Competition i think it should be held in that same country, yes they plan the venue ahead of time but somewhere like the Millennium/Principality Stadium would of been ideal because then its a neutral venue for both teams. And Wales can host the best competition in the world at the Millennium/Principality Stadium. So Why Not.

I think it's a crime for the supporters going to Baku with only 6,000 tickets available in a 60-70 thousand capacity stadium. I mean do Baku have the population to fill in the stadium? All im saying is that more than half the stadium should be filled with the 2 teams supporters not just people who are billionaires or random people who just want to see both teams who are local.

The strange thing is UEFA have said the 13k (joint) allocation is because Baku cannot handle anymore through the transport hub? Got impression most flights going through Istanbul anyway? The other odd thing is UEFA are strict when it comes to facilities at host venues Baku appears to be well short of facilities expected for UEFA competition so why is it beung held there? .... :old:

Sat May 11, 2019 7:02 am

Sam ReaN wrote:I think if you have 2 teams from the same country in the final of a European Competition i think it should be held in that same country, yes they plan the venue ahead of time but somewhere like the Millennium/Principality Stadium would of been ideal because then its a neutral venue for both teams. And Wales can host the best competition in the world at the Millennium/Principality Stadium. So Why Not.

What a load of rubbish, yet again from you.

Your first bit literally makes no sense, and I'll pretend to be shocked that you've suggested the venue you have.

Also very disrespectful to Azerbaijan. The ticket situation would have been the same, no matter where it was played.

You asked whether Baku has enough of a population to fill the stadium. Not only is the answer yes but but Baku has a much bigger population than Cardiff, and Azerbaijan has a much bigger population than Wales. But don't let the facts get in the way.

I find it amazing how many people on here think a stadium can hold a major European final on a whim.

Thankful these people don't have anything to do with the security at these places, god forbid.

Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 am

No I don't think so.

Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 am

Even though the prices are disgraceful part of the fun of being in Europe is the travelling surely and getting to a final in Madrid or wherever is all part of it.

If they switched the venue it would be just like a domestic cup final and you would lose part of the magic. Just my opinion.

Sat May 11, 2019 8:47 am

RV Casual wrote:Even though the prices are disgraceful part of the fun of being in Europe is the travelling surely and getting to a final in Madrid or wherever is all part of it.

If they switched the venue it would be just like a domestic cup final and you would lose part of the magic. Just my opinion.

I agree, but UEFA are dealing with some pretty 'entitled' fans with those four teams; particularly dem Scousers :(

It's not like every team knows the venue before a ball is even kicked, is it? :lol:

You're spot on that part of the thrill of reaching any final should be the 'different' location, as it was for Real Madrid and Juventus when they came to wonderful Cardiff a couple of years ago :thumbright:

Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Sven wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Even though the prices are disgraceful part of the fun of being in Europe is the travelling surely and getting to a final in Madrid or wherever is all part of it.

I agree, but UEFA are dealing with some pretty 'entitled' fans with those four teams; particularly dem Scousers :(

It's not like every team knows the venue before a ball is even kicked, is it? :lol:

You're spot on that part of the thrill of reaching any final should be the 'different' location, as it was for Real Madrid and Juventus when they came to wonderful Cardiff a couple of years ago :thumbright:

Baku is a ridiculous place to be playing that final..or infact planning on playing it..
and part of UEFAs excuse for there meagre allocations is that its difficult to get to and would be irresponsible to be giving more for that reason....4 days by train,,,56 hours driving time..