Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Away Goals.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:27 am

For or against? Just for a discussion.

Can see the positive reasons of it just wondering whether people agree with the concept these days or would you rather see/think it's more fair for games like the Spurs/Ajax match to go to extra time and penalties.

Re: Away Goals.

Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 am

It was brought in to stop teams playing away with 11 man defence so encouraging away team to try score..... extra time pens better but not sure it matters in today's game way its played :old:

Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I like the away goal system as it encourages teams to not park the bus.

If the away goal system was not in place I don't think you would have seen the games played this week and the drama it has created.

Is there a better alternative, yes possibly but I am not sure what it is.

They recemtly changed the way penalties were taken in shoot outs and for me that did now work.

Fri May 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Ive never felt its totally fair, I dunno why because I get that both teams have a chance to get away goals. Its certainly brighten upped the last 2 champions league games.

I remember us going out the playoffs once on away goals, I think it was after extra time maybe back then. It felt awful, didn't seem fair at the time.

Fri May 10, 2019 7:08 pm

We've just witnessed two of the greatest most remarkable Champions League fixtures ever. Away goals are the reason.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:10 pm

bluecityblue wrote:We've just witnessed two of the greatest most remarkable Champions League fixtures ever. Away goals are the reason.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 pm

bluecityblue wrote:We've just witnessed two of the greatest most remarkable Champions League fixtures ever. Away goals are the reason.

Not sure about that. There were no away goals in the Liverpool/Barcelona tie in either legs so don't see how you can say that. Sure you could argue Liverpool played more offensively in the first leg with the opportunity of getting the away goal but its swings and roundabouts as it only really works for the first leg as if the home team in leg 1 gets a comfortable lead and doesn't concede an away goal in the first leg parking the bus would be the thing to do in leg 2, what we witnessed Tuesday was a one in a million really.

I'm indifferent about it in the main but when I looked at it from an Ajax angle yesterday I thought they went away from home in leg 1, won the game and didn't concede, then lost 3-2 at home and go out. Is that really fair? Not sure. It's one of those things I suppose. I understand why they brought it in and everyone knows the rules at the start.

Iv changed my mind on it a few times today and probably still will, from a fan point of view its exciting but from playing point of view its a shit way to go.

Sat May 11, 2019 2:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:For or against? Just for a discussion.

Can see the positive reasons of it just wondering whether people agree with the concept these days or would you rather see/think it's more fair for games like the Spurs/Ajax match to go to extra time and penalties.

its not something ive ever liked. but the alternatives are not great either...
extra time favours the home team. ?
and I don't like pens either { love watching them not sure its the best way to decide a cup game }

Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm

RV Casual wrote:

Not sure about that. There were no away goals in the Liverpool/Barcelona tie in either legs so don't see how you can say that. Sure you could argue Liverpool played more offensively in the first leg with the opportunity of getting the away goal but its swings and roundabouts as it only really works for the first leg as if the home team in leg 1 gets a comfortable lead and doesn't concede an away goal in the first leg parking the bus would be the thing to do in leg 2, what we witnessed Tuesday was a one in a million really.

I'm indifferent about it in the main but when I looked at it from an Ajax angle yesterday I thought they went away from home in leg 1, won the game and didn't concede, then lost 3-2 at home and go out. Is that really fair? Not sure. It's one of those things I suppose. I understand why they brought it in and everyone knows the rules at the start.

Iv changed my mind on it a few times today and probably still will, from a fan point of view its exciting but from playing point of view its a shit way to go.

The fact Liverpool didn't score away meant they HAD to win 4-0 to qualify. If Barca had scored at Anfield it was game over. So for me the whole drama of the second leg was down to away goals, despite there not being any at all.
I agree about your point of Ajax winning away yet going out but Spurs scored 3 at Ajax whereas Ajax only scored 1 at Spurs.

Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 pm

bluecityblue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

The fact Liverpool didn't score away meant they HAD to win 4-0 to qualify. If Barca had scored at Anfield it was game over. So for me the whole drama of the second leg was down to away goals, despite there not being any at all.
I agree about your point of Ajax winning away yet going out but Spurs scored 3 at Ajax whereas Ajax only scored 1 at Spurs.

They didn't need to win 4-0, 3 was enough to take it to extra time and possible penalties which they could have won.

You're right though, if Barca had scored then that away goal could have killed the game off which would have made it less exciting rather than more exciting surely as opposed to if Barca had scored but Liverpool scored 4 they would still have a chance to take it to extra time and penalties.

They were both good games but the away goal rule didn't play any part in the Liverpool game for me, happy to agree to disagree though.