Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Warnock reveals what it would take to keep him at Cardi

Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am

Neil Warnock reveals what it would take to keep him at Cardiff City

Friday 10th May 2019

The Bluebirds boss has been speaking on his future ahead of the final day clash with Manchester United

The Bluebirds boss has been speaking on his future ahead of the final day clash with Manchester United

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says he will seek assurances over transfers with the club's hierarchy amid ongoing uncertainty over his future.

Warnock will meet the top brass on Monday to discuss his future at the club, which despite public backing from owner Vincent Tan, remains uncertain.

The City boss refused to offer any further clarity on his position, but did suggest that he will seek assurances over transfers ahead of the new season as Cardiff look to bounce back from the Championship at the first time of asking.

Quizzed on this future ahead of the final day trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United.

Neil Warnock replied: "I’m seeing Mehmet and Ken on Monday – we’re having a full day together, discussing all aspects of the club. I’m aware of what Vincent’s said but I’ve been so busy I’ve had so many things to do, I haven’t really had the time.

"I’ve not spoken to Vincent since the last game. I’m sure I’ll get filled in on Monday about all the behind the scenes.

“I’ve got to just speak to them about every aspect of the club. That’s what we were going to do anyway so that’s nothing new. They appreciate how busy the last two weeks have been.

"I’ve got my own idea of what I want to say to them and to try and help the club going forward, and I’m sure Mehmet and Ken will be transferring our conversation to Vincent. I don’t know whether Vincent is coming on Sunday but he possibly will be.”

Gunnarsson is one of several players on their way out of the club this summer (Image: Getty Images)
No enquiries have yet been made for any of Cardiff's players, but the departures of Aron Gunnarsson and on-loan trio Vincent Camarasa, Harry Arter and Oumar Niasse points to a substantial rebuilding job in the summer.

And when pressed on whether recruitment plans could have an impact on his decision on whether or not to stay in the Welsh capital, Warnock added: "I think it’s vital that we can look to get two or three signings as quickly as possible really. We know generally what our squad’s like and that’s why we have a meeting on Monday to discuss where we are.

"The club has to look to the future. I know that. All we’ve got to do is see if we can get the right players in to give us a chance. Without the players I think we’ll be one of a number of teams but if we get two or three good players in, I think we could set off the season on a high and continue throughout."

As well as new recruits, Warnock is eyeing improvements off the pitch too, revealing that there are already plans for new training facilities.

“We’re well down the way to starting our new training complex, which is exciting I think," he added.

“That’s what Burnley did when they got relegated – they signed a few good players, started on their new training ground and came straight back up.

“I think we’ve arrived as a football club this year. We’re a big club now and we’ve got to think big now."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Warnock reveals what it would take to keep him at C

Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 am

Interesting few weeks ahead, certainly wants signings in place ASAP , probably CM x2 and a CF who can score

Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Sounds like he is going to be making some demands, I guess this is why he kept mentioning it. Not a bad tactic to be fair.

Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm

He's already shown what he can do in the championship and had a good crack at the prem with our tiny budget and championship players.
Give him what he wants.

Fri May 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Quite shocked he only wants 2 or 3 new signings i would prefer him to say about 6 considering we possibly loosing at least 4 he did this last transfer window, the more the merrier as far as i am concerned and there should be no excuses of funds etc, granted vinny wants to keep clearing the debts but it would be good to find quality loans like camarrase or do what wolves did paying the wages with a right to buy, we really need to get out of the championship as soon as if we have any aspirations of competing in the prem again, we also have to remember we where a championship side trying to play in the prem so we perhaps do not want to repeat this again hence my suggestion we try to get prem standard players like wolves did and follow them as an example of how to do it. Que the onslaught.

Fri May 10, 2019 12:48 pm

montyblue wrote:Quite shocked he only wants 2 or 3 new signings i would prefer him to say about 6 considering we possibly loosing at least 4 he did this last transfer window, the more the merrier as far as i am concerned and there should be no excuses of funds etc, granted vinny wants to keep clearing the debts but it would be good to find quality loans like camarrase or do what wolves did paying the wages with a right to buy, we really need to get out of the championship as soon as if we have any aspirations of competing in the prem again, we also have to remember we where a championship side trying to play in the prem so we perhaps do not want to repeat this again hence my suggestion we try to get prem standard players like wolves did and follow them as an example of how to do it. Que the onslaught.

I read that as in he wants 2 or 3 big signings in early. He will make more signings no doubt and move some on.

Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
montyblue wrote:Quite shocked he only wants 2 or 3 new signings i would prefer him to say about 6 considering we possibly loosing at least 4 he did this last transfer window, the more the merrier as far as i am concerned and there should be no excuses of funds etc, granted vinny wants to keep clearing the debts but it would be good to find quality loans like camarrase or do what wolves did paying the wages with a right to buy, we really need to get out of the championship as soon as if we have any aspirations of competing in the prem again, we also have to remember we where a championship side trying to play in the prem so we perhaps do not want to repeat this again hence my suggestion we try to get prem standard players like wolves did and follow them as an example of how to do it. Que the onslaught.

I read that as in he wants 2 or 3 big signings in early. He will make more signings no doubt and move some on.

That is how I read it. I really can't see only 3 players coming in this summer. We will see.

Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm

We have lost THREE key central midfielders, so surely we must replace all three, plus maybe another for the long and exhausting Championship season. I would personally like to see two players who are ball winners and who can also pick a pass and two more creative players who will contribute on the score sheet. Someone has already mentioned Vaulks. I believe he would make a great addition to the squad. Jarrod Bowen has already turned us down in the January transfer window but I think another cheeky offer could bring him in. As for defensive midfielders ... Paddy McNair? Kevin Stewart? Callum Conolly? Or maybe a more obscure signing from overseas or Scotland?

Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 pm

I am a fan of Warnock but I am not sure I trust him on the transfer market any more. His two biggest signing last were Reid and Murphy and he didn't seem to want to play them a lot of the time and when Reid who is an out and out forward played it was often out of position where he was ineffective. That Is without mentioning the Tomlin and Bogle fiascos. Maybe he has lost his touch when it comes to signing players.

We need some sort of committe to monitor anyone who he is thinking of signing to ensure he is what we need and he actually plans on playing them.

Fri May 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Did he decide on his own to sign Madine, Tomlin, Bogle who ate all rubbish. Did he decide to sign Smithies, Cunningham, Reid, Murphy non of whom play regularly. Would you trust him with your millions, I don't think so. School report on Warnocks signings. Needs to do better

Fri May 10, 2019 4:20 pm

I think we need one or maybe two each of midfield enforcer, forward thinking midfield ball player and a goalscorer. A couple of squad players for backup then try and keep set starting eleven. We didn't let any attacking partnerships develop this season which is a shame because we have some good individual players. Get Man U done then it's all excitement for next season :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Fri May 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Bluesman wrote:Did he decide on his own to sign Madine, Tomlin, Bogle who ate all rubbish. Did he decide to sign Smithies, Cunningham, Reid, Murphy non of whom play regularly. Would you trust him with your millions, I don't think so. School report on Warnocks signings. Needs to do better

Can't disagree with this.

Fri May 10, 2019 4:48 pm

bluecityblue wrote:I think we need one or maybe two each of midfield enforcer, forward thinking midfield ball player and a goalscorer. A couple of squad players for backup then try and keep set starting eleven. We didn't let any attacking partnerships develop this season which is a shame because we have some good individual players. Get Man U done then it's all excitement for next season :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

If we hang on to Zohore Reid Ward and Madine do we need a goal scorer. All have proven they can score at championship level another forward would probably be surplus to requirements. At least two if not three midfielders should be the first priority. Ideally ones who can actually pass the ball.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:39 pm

It's amazing to read the same people say Reid was a bad signing and then also say he is our best player. Further down the page someone has said we should build the squad around him!

Smithies was bought to compete for the number 1. He was cheap and dont see how people use that as a stick to beat warnock with.

Murphy in my opinion has been our best winger this season. He has torn past some defences and just needs to develop consistency.

Camerasa and arter were great signings.

Then you have to think he has brought in bamba, hoilett, mendez Laing and Etheridge.

While I agree Tomlin was poor and Madine didn't make sense, i would hardly call his transfers poor. Not all signings will work out and at the start of next season I personally will be routing for Etheridge, bamba, Murphy, mendez and Reid to be starting (Bacuna for me the jury is still out on).

Sat May 11, 2019 7:40 am

Bamba, Hoillett, Paterson and Etheridge were why we went up... his record stands up.

Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Steady now monty it’s getting worse again.

Sat May 11, 2019 7:31 pm

how do you suggest we follow Wolves example.? it didn't come down JUST to money in bringing those players in .

Sat May 11, 2019 7:35 pm

"OrigionalGrangeEndBlue."

That was quite mellow fella as far as a ticking off goes,
I just don't want us leaving things to the last minute with signings and not getting what we need we ran out of time by not doing tbings early, everybody could see that was our problem this season strength in depth, with injuries to bamba patters arter camarrasa' rawls etc i would like neil to say what he wants without fear of upsetting vinny, if you need 6 players say so don' t dither.

Sat May 11, 2019 7:45 pm

montyblue wrote:"OrigionalGrangeEndBlue."

I just don't want us leaving things to the last minute with signings and not getting what we need we ran out of time by not doing tbings early, everybody could see that was our problem this season strength in depth, with injuries to bamba patters arter camarrasa' rawls etc i would like neil to say what he wants without fear of upsetting vinny, if you need 6 players say so don' t dither.

yes and no
the fact many of the signings came late does not mean we were not trying to get deals done..
it probably cost us a little but do you drop down to your b or c lists early when your not getting your a list targets , or hold out in the hope that as the window gets closer to close players wanting a move get a bit less particular where too.
its easy saying WE left it too late. but take Arter..he knew for 3 months he wasn't going to be in Bournemouths 25 signed for us on transfer deadline day..

Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 pm

DOGFOUND

perhaps paying a bit more attention to the scouting and recruiting as a suggestion? surely its not just down to memhet and mr choo, i think good quality scouts are worth there weight in gold i don' t know if we have any fulltime scouts or scout travelling the globe seeking out gems norwich have picked up a few
gems this season, it proves its not just down to having money to spend camarassa was a good find for us but with a tad of luck though we played them in a friendly, i just thought wolves looked a prem team last season and have done well finishing in the top 10 this season so something must be working there in the way they have gone about things they where struggling a few years ago.

Sun May 12, 2019 7:20 am

Monty, my remark was about you creeping back to your three page essays whilst using just one sentence and killing everybody’s eyes who ‘try’ to read it ;)

Regards to your post though, I think myself, Warnock and most others would agree about bringing in players early is the best way but it’s much, much harder to get transfers over the line than you realise.

Sun May 12, 2019 11:21 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Monty, my remark was about you creeping back to your three page essays whilst using just one sentence and killing everybody’s eyes who ‘try’ to read it ;)

Regards to your post though, I think myself, Warnock and most others would agree about bringing in players early is the best way but it’s much, much harder to get transfers over the line than you realise.

ORIGINALGRANGENDBLUE ( ;) :laughing6: )

You're spot on on all counts :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun May 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Mr Warnock has a contract for another year and Mr Tan has said he wants him to stay so unless Mr Warnock resigns he will see out his contract? Would you turn down £1m pounds a year?