Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW ON WHY NEIL WARNOCK SHOULD LEAVE

Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 pm

DEANO wrote:Brilliant post and echoes my feelings to perfection

Which post is that (there have been a few)? :?

Sat May 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Brexit, Little Englander, Welsh manager, female rep on the board.

I agree with some of her points, but she ruined the piece with this pc rubbish.

Shame.

Sat May 11, 2019 4:37 pm

A well written post, clearly an articulate, inteligent lady but I can't say I agree with her thinking.

Warnock is absolute the right man in my eyes to TRY and get us back up, maintain squad unity and continue to unite the Club.

This is a pivotal time for the Club in my view, any rash decisions could set this club back years and put us back to square one.

Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Brexit, Little Englander, Welsh manager, female rep on the board.

I agree with some of her points, but she ruined the piece with this pc rubbish.

Shame.

How you can argue that it wasn't embarrassing for Warnock to come out with ‘to hell with the rest of the world’ whilst managing a club featuring players from all over the globe and trying to sign a South American is astonishing

Sat May 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Argue?.. I couldn’t give a shit either way

Sat May 11, 2019 7:19 pm

RV Casual wrote:A well written post, clearly an articulate, inteligent lady but I can't say I agree with her thinking.

Warnock is absolute the right man in my eyes to TRY and get us back up, maintain squad unity and continue to unite the Club.

This is a pivotal time for the Club in my view, any rash decisions could set this club back years and put us back to square one.

its neither accurate or intelligent...well written maybe.

its ideal world stuff ,{success on the cheap with a local manager and local players that are slowly moulded into a club with indentity...that also { I presume } dont want to leave when chelsea knock the door.. }
its every clubs dream from parks to champions league and has been since 18 dot spit
and spinkled with off the wall things like we should be based on the SUFC MODEL..do they have one ?..and if so does it include us then having strikers in their 30s ? and its not all about the 1st team just look at the champions lge finalists for evidence..wow.

is that really well thought out ?

Sat May 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:What's she a professor of ?
She should stick to it, whatever it is.
Entirely impractical and at best superficial understanding of the game of football and one which she might enjoy more watching a top six club where form is more important than practicality.
If there's a place in the long distant future when we can envisage pretty football and intricate ball skills as a priority, that's not for a very very long time.
It's about results ,even more so in the championship , and until we've got €100,000,0000 to spend on players like Manchester United and the money to pay their ridiculous salaries , we get them with agricultural football. That's the plain truth.

Football isn't fine art, and you don't get promoted by envisioning dreams which can't happen because they're based on nothing but what what you might like to be the case but never will be.

I can understand young kids who don't understand life yet coming up with this kind of stuff, but presumably this woman is grown up and so I can't help being rude enough to say that I've never heard such bloody nonsense in my life.

Laura Jean McAllister CBE FLSW is a Welsh academic, former international footballer and sports administrator. As a Wales women's national football team player, McAllister won 24 caps and served as team captain.

She is currently Professor of Public Policy and the Governance of Wales at the Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University. She was formerly Professor of Governance at Liverpool University.

She was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2016 Birthday Honours for services to sport.

She was a Board member of Stonewall from 2012 to 2015, and is currently a Board member of the Institute of Welsh Affairs.

She is Chair of the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and a Non-executive Director of Goodson Thomas boutique executive search agency.

From that (and your own comments) it's clear Laura is an underachiever with no valid opinion on such things in comparison to some on here... ;) :lol: :lol:

Well in sorry but what she wrote is poppycock. Plain and simple.
I don't care what else she's done and it doesn't matter because I didn't attack her personally. I've got a pretty good CV and a few exams myself as a matter of fact, but I don't imagine that I should try and wave that around if someone here should take a different view to me.
You seem to be suggesting that I should curtesy and aplogise for contradicting this woman now you've told me that she's been fairly successful in unrelated subjects and pursuits. ( if you're going to say that playing ladies football qualifies her it doesn't - plenty of brilliant footballers at the highest level who can't coach or manage).

I did ask what she was a professor of and suggest that she should stick to it , since the qualification suggests that she's good at something.

Who else should we consult about winning promotion - Brian Cox, Leonard Bronowski or maybe Bamber Gascoigne ?
No, I'm sorry , people's other activities don't give weight to their opinions about football . It's a game which belongs to every
fan , not an exclusive toy for pseudo intellectuals to theorise about. There are quite enough aspects of life which have been sucked into some exclusive La La land and I'm not having it I'm afraid.

If you'd like to know I've got a doctorate and a few gongs, but I don't think that qualifies me to diminish the contribution of anyone on the terraces , who are the backbone of the club and all have the same stake in it as me. It's one of the few areas of life where we're still allowed to come together irrespective of social or academic differences , just as we regularly used to as a nation.

I'll happily defer to the likes of someone like Ron Atkinson or our own manager, ( how many times have I said that I disagree with him but trust that he knows more than me ?)
Will I wind my neck in because someone's done well in unrelated areas ? No mate, never.

Some people here bang the Welsh drum a lot. I don't , as you know, but here's a very Welsh aspect to me which has been commented upon a lot - I WILL have my two bobs worth if I believe strongly in something and I WONT be told to shut up and know my place.

Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:
Entirely impractical and at best superficial understanding of the game of football and one which she might enjoy more watching a top six club where form is more important than practicality.
If there's a place in the long distant future when we can envisage pretty football and intricate ball skills as a priority, that's not for a very very long time.
It's about results ,even more so in the championship , and until we've got €100,000,0000 to spend on players like Manchester United and the money to pay their ridiculous salaries , we get them with agricultural football. That's the plain truth.

Football isn't fine art, and you don't get promoted by envisioning dreams which can't happen because they're based on nothing but what what you might like to be the case but never will be.

I can understand young kids who don't understand life yet coming up with this kind of stuff, but presumably this woman is grown up and so I can't help being rude enough to say that I've never heard such bloody nonsense in my life.

Laura Jean McAllister CBE FLSW is a Welsh academic, former international footballer and sports administrator. As a Wales women's national football team player, McAllister won 24 caps and served as team captain.

She is currently Professor of Public Policy and the Governance of Wales at the Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University. She was formerly Professor of Governance at Liverpool University.

She was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2016 Birthday Honours for services to sport.

She was a Board member of Stonewall from 2012 to 2015, and is currently a Board member of the Institute of Welsh Affairs.

She is Chair of the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and a Non-executive Director of Goodson Thomas boutique executive search agency.

From that (and your own comments) it's clear Laura is an underachiever with no valid opinion on such things in comparison to some on here... ;) :lol: :lol:

I don't care what else she's done and it doesn't matter because I didn't attack her personally. I've got a pretty good CV and a few exams myself as a matter of fact, but I don't imagine that I should try and wave that around if someone here should take a different view to me.
You seem to be suggesting that I should curtesy and aplogise for contradicting this woman now you've told me that she's been fairly successful in unrelated subjects and pursuits. ( if you're going to say that playing ladies football qualifies her it doesn't - plenty of brilliant footballers at the highest level who can't coach or manage).

I did ask what she was a professor of and suggest that she should stick to it , since the qualification suggests that she's good at something.

Who else should we consult about winning promotion - Brian Cox, Leonard Bronowski or maybe Bamber Gascoigne ?
No, I'm sorry , people's other activities don't give weight to their opinions about football . It's a game which belongs to every
fan , not an exclusive toy for pseudo intellectuals to theorise about. There are quite enough aspects of life which have been sucked into some exclusive La La land and I'm not having it I'm afraid.

If you'd like to know I've got a doctorate and a few gongs, but I don't think that qualifies me to diminish the contribution of anyone on the terraces , who are the backbone of the club and all have the same stake in it as me. It's one of the few areas of life where we're still allowed to come together irrespective of social or academic differences , just as we regularly used to as a nation.

I'll happily defer to the likes of someone like Ron Atkinson or our own manager, ( how many times have I said that I disagree with him but trust that he knows more than me ?)
Will I wind my neck in because someone's done well in unrelated areas ? No mate, never.

Some people here bang the Welsh drum a lot. I don't , as you know, but here's a very Welsh aspect to me which has been commented upon a lot - I WILL have my two bobs worth if I believe strongly in something and I WONT be told to shut up and know my place.
Who told you to shut up and know your place? :? :o

The whole point t was that she has credibilty and didn't deserve some of the stuff she got for voicing her opinion

You've mentioned before you have qualifications coming out of your backside (we had it during the Sala saga) although that's not always reflected in your writing

I'm sure many on here have educational and vocational qualifications of a very high standard (I know I do and I'd give you a pretty good run for your money) but that alone does not make a person the font of all knowledge

Someone (maybe you?) asked "What does she know?" so I put it out there

Whether you or me or anyone else agrees with her is the debate and not the slating that it turned into (from dogfound in particular)

No big issue with you but (as you will do in return) I will make my point in defence :thumbright:

Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Victim of her own folly I’m afraid Sven. Stating she’s a Prof(in Politics)is irrelevant here, it’s a football forum. Also, she drops in political sub-text for reasons unclear, possibly for propaganda purposes.

That’s what did it.

Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

The whole point t was that she has credibilty and didn't deserve some of the stuff she got for voicing her opinion

You've mentioned before you have qualifications coming out of your backside (we had it during the Sala saga) although that's not always reflected in your writing

I'm sure many on here have educational and vocational qualifications of a very high standard (I know I do and I'd give you a pretty good run for your money) but that alone does not make a person the font of all knowledge

Whether you or me or anyone else agrees with her is the debate and not the slating that it turned into (from dogfound in particular)

No big issue with you but (as you will do in return) I will make my point in defence :thumbright:

You might not have said it in so many words, but that was the implication.
If I mentioned a qualification regarding Sala then it was probably because I was exposing some legal aspect. I wouldn't do it to imply that my idea of team selection was better than anyone else's.
I only referred to it here to make a point which was relevant - pointing out that qualifications are entirely irrelevant in matters of football chat.

I'll go further than what you said about having no problem with me Sven. I'm a great fan of yours as a poster, and you seem like a very decent chap. Since I'm not going to get into a Bertie big bollocks competition about qualifications I'll resist the temptation to press you on what it might be that you think my writing style lacks, but I do wonder . People have paid me for it.

Anyway, I don't retreat from my comments but I hope they haven't offended you because I think it's very important that we can disagree without being disagreeable and I think your posts are generally very good and sensible.

If I went off the handle, ( great to use a Welsh expression and know people will understand it ) , it was because I've seen people intimidated and made to feel unworthy of an opinion by some dick waving their Degree around like a badge of rank and I really don't like it one little bit. I spoke , albeit angrily, on behalf of those who might fall for that.

I'm sure , by the way, that it wasn't your deliberate intention to do that, but it was implicit in what you said that this woman was somehow more entitled to talk arrant bollocks than Joe Blow in the pub down the road from the ground. It's not something you invented, but it's an attitude which is far too prevalent these days.

Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Mind you... This is proper debate and conversation and that's great.
I'd rather be celebrating our survival in the PL, but a bit of civilised discussion takes the edge off the collective grief !

Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

You might not have said it in so many words, but that was the implication.
If I mentioned a qualification regarding Sala then it was probably because I was exposing some legal aspect. I wouldn't do it to imply that my idea of team selection was better than anyone else's.
I only referred to it here to make a point which was relevant - pointing out that qualifications are entirely irrelevant in matters of football chat.

I'll go further than what you said about having no problem with me Sven. I'm a great fan of yours as a poster, and you seem like a very decent chap. Since I'm not going to get into a Bertie big bollocks competition about qualifications I'll resist the temptation to press you on what it might be that you think my writing style lacks, but I do wonder . People have paid me for it.

Anyway, I don't retreat from my comments but I hope they haven't offended you because I think it's very important that we can disagree without being disagreeable and I think your posts are generally very good and sensible.

If I went off the handle, ( great to use a Welsh expression and know people will understand it ) , it was because I've seen people intimidated and made to feel unworthy of an opinion by some dick waving their Degree around like a badge of rank and I really don't like it one little bit. I spoke , albeit angrily, on behalf of those who might fall for that.

I'm sure , by the way, that it wasn't your deliberate intention to do that, but it was implicit in what you said that this woman was somehow more entitled to talk arrant bollocks than Joe Blow in the pub down the road from the ground. It's not something you invented, but it's an attitude which is far too prevalent these days.

No offence taken, fella. I think we are both better than that :thumbup:

My only point in responding with her (effective) CV was your very first question in your first post on the thread (quote): "What's she a professor of ? She should stick to it, whatever it is.
Entirely impractical and at best superficial understanding of the game of football and one which she might enjoy more watching a top six club where form is more important than practicality."

To me, agree with her or not, she is clearly in a position to offer an opinion and we are equally in s position to disagree with her

Thankfully, neither of us is unnecessarily disparaging of others opinions than dogfound and one or two others :thumbright:

Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
RV Casual wrote:A well written post, clearly an articulate, inteligent lady but I can't say I agree with her thinking.

its neither accurate or intelligent...well written maybe.

its ideal world stuff ,{success on the cheap with a local manager and local players that are slowly moulded into a club with indentity...that also { I presume } dont want to leave when chelsea knock the door.. }
its every clubs dream from parks to champions league and has been since 18 dot spit
and spinkled with off the wall things like we should be based on the SUFC MODEL..do they have one ?..and if so does it include us then having strikers in their 30s ? and its not all about the 1st team just look at the champions lge finalists for evidence..wow.

is that really well thought out ?

I didn't say it was inteligent accurate or well thought out mate? And I stated I don't agree with her thinking in my post.

I gave her a bit of kudos as it was well written and called her an inteligent lady based on the achievements Sven posted that's she's achieved in her life that's all.

Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 pm

While I think Warnock should stay I have often understood the reasoning behind a change for a different approaching and to be fair now would be in the time potentially.

This person's article seems to stem from arrogance and lack of knowledge though.

I disagree I don't think it well thought out at all, more ignorent or arrogant.

Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm

I think it's safe to say her view is an unpopular one.

Long live Neil

Sat May 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

surely something to debate is an alternative view that in some way is realistic..
how can anyone debate that load of rubbish..its an ideal world fairy tale version of how to run a football club..which every club and fan dreams of and wishes would happen...does anyone actually think that clubs do not want a young enthusiastic local being a success as a manager with a team he has built over time full of talented locals produced by the academy whose heads are not turned by the lure of money and bigger clubs...its laughable...no ?

to then go on about SUFC...whose model btw is a 12 year model trying to and eventually getting back to the point where NW resigned.. :lol: :lol: the champions league finalists and brexit , just waw...

Sun May 12, 2019 2:34 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

surely something to debate is an alternative view that in some way is realistic..
how can anyone debate that load of rubbish..its an ideal world fairy tale version of how to run a football club..which every club and fan dreams of and wishes would happen...does anyone actually think that clubs do not want a young enthusiastic local being a success as a manager with a team he has built over time full of talented locals produced by the academy whose heads are not turned by the lure of money and bigger clubs...its laughable...no ?

to then go on about SUFC...whose model btw is a 12 year model trying to and eventually getting back to the point where NW resigned.. :lol: :lol: the champions league finalists and brexit , just waw...

Sadly, you're often dismissive without foundation or substance to back yourself up and this on such occasion, as you jumped on the OP and then anyone else who had an opposing view to yours

At the end of the day, it is all about opinions, she gave hers, you gave yours and then set about ridiculing the lot (something you do quite a lot of late)

For the record, I don't know her ;)

Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 am

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Warnock is the best man for the job. A lot of ill thought out comments in this piece. It seems like somebody is out for a bit of self publicity.

Sun May 12, 2019 5:55 am

Imagine being married to her. You wouldn't be able to stop her talking. A long winded post which could have just said we want a different manager who plays a different style of football.

Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

Sadly, you're often dismissive without foundation or substance to ban yourself up and this on such occasion, as you jumped on the OP and then anyone else who had an opposing view to yours

At the end of the day, it is all about opinions, she gave hers, you gave yours and then set about ridiculing the lot (something you do quite a lot of late)

I’ve just read through these posts and think you’re pretty spot on Chris.

The OP was an interesting read although she did fantasize a bit.
For me Warnock should be kept for next season but we definitely need to change our philosophy (a modern football term) because our style of play is definitely not sustainable and will eventually drive some fans away regardless of which division we are playing in.
A more modern, attacking and possession based game is needed but, of course, that’s easier said than done.

Sun May 12, 2019 8:37 am

It'd take several years to change our footballing culture and it might not work in terms of getting results.
To attempt it now would be to throw away any chance of an immediate promotion.
We do need to go in that direction but it must be planned and if things go to plan , the introduction of a different shape with better players can START at the end of next season.

Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:It'd take several years to change our footballing culture and it might not work in terms of getting results.
To attempt it now would be to throw away any chance of an immediate promotion.
We do need to go in that direction but it must be planned and if things go to plan , the introduction of a different shape with better players can START at the end of next season.

For once I agree with you. Also I am a signed up fan of the direct long ball game. Providing it is executed properly it is a fantastic way to play.

The problem is the lack of decent target men. These days youngsters are taught to play the ball on the ground and build up patiently the boring Swansea way so the big guy upfront who can win the ball hold it up and distribute it to supporting players has become an endangered species.

NW will stick with what he knows best and I am all for that as that will be our best chance of bouncing back at the first attempt.

Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

Sadly, you're often dismissive without foundation or substance to back yourself up and this on such occasion, as you jumped on the OP and then anyone else who had an opposing view to yours

I’ve just read through these posts and think you’re pretty spot on Chris.

The OP was an interesting read although she did fantasize a bit.
For me Warnock should be kept for next season but we definitely need to change our philosophy (a modern football term) because our style of play is definitely not sustainable and will eventually drive some fans away regardless of which division we are playing in.
A more modern, attacking and possession based game is needed but, of course, that’s easier said than done.

Thanks, Paul. The sad thing is that one two quickly turned the article into a character assassination against someone they don't actually know

Your comments above are spot on, as are the words in the post immediately above from SirJimmySchoular

I don't think anyone totally agreed with Laura's views but they certainly were well written and certainly were a good read. The responses were (supposed to be) part of the debate, which is where one or two (dogfound being one) will usually fail