Welsh Independence

For
27%
Against
73%

Total votes : 56

Re: (OT) Welsh independence march.

Postby RV Casual » Mon May 13, 2019 6:47 pm

I find it funny and insulting when people bring 'the valleys' into threads like this to use as stick to beat Westminster.

I have lived in the Valleys all my life and life's general tribulations aside iv had a pretty decent existence so far, as have the vast majority of my friends and family.

Most of the family's in my street have two sometimes 3 cars per household, most of us go on foreign holidays once if not more a year, we have money to buy things like Cardiff City Season Tickets and other luxuries like Sky TV on our flat screen tele whilst we have a takeaway now and again. I have a rail service into the capital city which runs a train once every 15 minutes and despite what the moaners say its not to shabby (I stood from Liverpool to Ledbury the other day) in comparison to other regions. I have 4 leisure centres within 10 miles of my house, a Library, bowling green, tennis courts, multiple cycle tracks and walking trails. We have retail parks that have killed the towns granted but its no different anywhere else in the UK. For sure some are struggling BUT it's no different to any other part of the UK.

I honestly don't see how an independent Wales is going to improve life when life is pretty good anyway if you're willing glto work for it.
RV Casual

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby CityBlue93 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Jock wrote:Maybe you should check the minimum and average wage in the country’s you claim are doing just fine (Monaco is not a country by the way it’s a principality) Just like the Scots Natz you blame England for all your problems.

Have you checked them? Taking Monaco out of the list there are countries he mentioned with higher average/min wages than the UK.

wez1927 wrote:so our economic plan is to sell water and coal ? ffs ,is this the same coal that the world is trying to do away with for environmental reasons ?

We've got the biggest solar pv project in the UK, we host a wind farm bigger than any English wind farm, and we're working towards renewable energy quota targets. If we did go down the route of exporting energy it would actually be very marketable.
CityBlue93

Postby BlueGog » Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:
Jock wrote:Maybe you should check the minimum and average wage in the country’s you claim are doing just fine (Monaco is not a country by the way it’s a principality) Just like the Scots Natz you blame England for all your problems.

Have you checked them? Taking Monaco out of the list there are countries he mentioned with higher average/min wages than the UK.

wez1927 wrote:so our economic plan is to sell water and coal ? ffs ,is this the same coal that the world is trying to do away with for environmental reasons ?

We've got the biggest solar pv project in the UK, we host a wind farm bigger than any English wind farm, and we're working towards renewable energy quota targets. If we did go down the route of exporting energy it would actually be very marketable.

We are at present the fifth largest producer of electricity in the world! We don't use a fraction of what we produce that could and would be sold.
BlueGog

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm

BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

We are at present the fifth largest producer of electricity in the world! We don't use a fraction of what we produce that could and would be sold.

can you prove that ? last time i looked most of our power stations are being decommissioned and not replaced
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:31 pm

BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

your speaking shite 5th largest my ass
Attachments
Screenshot_20190513-212954_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190513-212954_Drive.jpg (118.54 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:37 pm

BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

you do realise that most electricity production is subsidised by westminster at an agreed kwh on all new power station to keep the price down, would a independent Welsh government do that ? and how would they fund that ?
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 pm

im not against welsh independence i just don't trust our politicians to deliver it ,most of wales has always voted labour and look where its got us
wez1927

Postby Jock » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 am

montyblue wrote:WEZ1927

i was' nt saying we could be using coal today it was about we never made as much money in the past with coal, as we could have if we held the purse strings and where independent before coal came about we as a country could have been very rich.

I was talking about the way westminster picks and chooses which region gets a share , and wales does'nt.

Wales gets more, per capita, from Westminster than any English region. When Barry was the biggest coal exporting port in the world some Welshman got very rich. Those who benefited the most financially weren’t inclined to share it out.
Jock

Postby Jock » Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am

CityBlue93 wrote:

Luxembourg :lol: the rest have far lower wages than the U.K.
Jock

Postby epping blue » Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am

There'll be an indication of the strength of nationalist feeing next week. There's a full on independent wishing leader at the helm of Plaid at the moment and next week you'll get the chance to see. I have my doubts that he has widespread support. I would say needs to be getting close to the Brexit party to substantiate and claims of having support for his ideas.
epping blue

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am

wez1927 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

shite is an inderstatement.
why would we be producing more energy than countries with populations nearly 100 times as big as ourselves …
does this fella think 3/4s of the world live in candle light or what.?

be going on about water next..
be the end of the world if the English did not have our water as it hasn't rained there since 1342 :lol: :lol:
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am

montyblue wrote:SIR JIMMY SCHOULAR

we could be independent if we really wanted to just the same as ireland
We have natural resources like water which is supplied to a lot of englands regions, but we have never been in charge of our resources,
Water and coal, have been run and controlled by westminster.
The crying shame was after the coal mines where shut no money was pumped into the welsh valleys
but regions in england yorkshire and Nottinghamshire money was pumped into those regions,
the honda factory and jcb where all built there to help the work force ,and concidering wales supplied most of the coal across the uk you would have thought an equal share would have come to wales.
But there was political dealings wales miners been the last out on strike and the nothern miners doing deals with the goverment had the investment, if they went back to work.
As regards the bigger picture of independence smaller countries than us manage, finland, iceland, and as i mentioned across the water ireland.

Wales by the way has never agreed to be run by england,scotland has hence the union flag,neither have we been taken over or conquered.

I love my country with a passion
But i have lots of english and ,scottish friends so i am not anti uk.

the valleys ?
I suggest next season when on our football travels you take some time out to visit the local hell holes instead of the city centres...
dogfound

Postby Sven » Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:Study history ,economics and demographics.
It's nonsense. Wales never has been a country, just a region outside central administration for a few centuries here and there.
It has no potential income or rescources to support an economy and its people are as English as Welsh by blood.
Ideas to the contrary are the fruits of strange romantic or political fantasies and I'm afraid that anyone who's been seduced by them should think again.

Fair comment there and based on the facts not the fantasy of the self-agenda laden nationalists :thumbright:

I have no issues with Plaid in the 'local' elections; they fight for 'local' issues and do a good job. However, any thoughts they have of running an 'independent' Wales would be scary, if it weren't for its extreme unlikelihood

Perhaps we could export Call Centres, Charity Shops and pictures of Tom Jones.

And don't forget Groggs, Welsh Cakes, Dame Shirley Bassey, Charlotte Church and Andy Fairweather-Lowe ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby BlueGog » Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

in 2016 Wales was indisputably the fifth largest net exporter of electricity on the planet, behind Canada, Germany, Paraguay and France?
If anyone wants to get a better feel for just how much electricity Wales has exported to England in the last few years, here is the zenith- 2016. (below)

42.5TWh generated. Welsh consumption was only 18.3TWh. Pumped storage
& transmission losses account for 6TWh. 18.4TWh was exported.

You can read more about this here https://nation.cymru/opinion/wales-is-a ... ained-out/
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 14.56.44.png
Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 14.56.44.png (270.04 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
BlueGog

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 pm

BlueGog wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

in 2016 Wales was indisputably the fifth largest net exporter of electricity on the planet, behind Canada, Germany, Paraguay and France?
If anyone wants to get a better feel for just how much electricity Wales has exported to England in the last few years, here is the zenith- 2016. (below)

You can read more about this here https://nation.cymru/opinion/wales-is-a ... ained-out/

you need to figure out the difference between producer and exporter mate...its E F@@@ing normous
dogfound

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 2:35 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:

and of course the English , French or whoever you intend selling this energy too are incapable of putting up wind turbines and solar panels.?

besides..how does Wales benefit as most of the companies actually producing this energy ARE NOT WELSH..?
dogfound

Postby RV Casual » Tue May 14, 2019 2:48 pm

dogfound wrote:

We have natural resources like water which is supplied to a lot of englands regions, but we have never been in charge of our resources,
The crying shame was after the coal mines where shut no money was pumped into the welsh valleys
but regions in england yorkshire and Nottinghamshire money was pumped into those regions,
the honda factory and jcb where all built there to help the work force ,and concidering wales supplied most of the coal across the uk you would have thought an equal share would have come to wales.
But there was political dealings wales miners been the last out on strike and the nothern miners doing deals with the goverment had the investment, if they went back to work.
As regards the bigger picture of independence smaller countries than us manage, finland, iceland, and as i mentioned across the water ireland.

Wales by the way has never agreed to be run by england,scotland has hence the union flag,neither have we been taken over or conquered.

the valleys ?
I suggest next season when on our football travels you take some time out to visit the local hell holes instead of the city centres...

Irritates the f**k out of me mate, bet he's not even a Valley Boy.

As I said above, iv lived here all my life and in the main the vast majority of people are doing pretty damn well.
RV Casual

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm

RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:

the valleys ?

Irritates the f**k out of me mate, bet he's not even a Valley Boy.

As I said above, iv lived here all my life and in the main the vast majority of people are doing pretty damn well.

I went to a place called Holbeck in leeds 2/3 years ago..every house window had bars and every door had an iron gate with a pad lock infront of the front door on many streets.. people need to go look mate Wales is fine including the valleys..
dogfound

Postby Steve Zodiak » Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Sven wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:
It's nonsense. Wales never has been a country, just a region outside central administration for a few centuries here and there.
It has no potential income or rescources to support an economy and its people are as English as Welsh by blood.
Ideas to the contrary are the fruits of strange romantic or political fantasies and I'm afraid that anyone who's been seduced by them should think again.

Fair comment there and based on the facts not the fantasy of the self-agenda laden nationalists :thumbright:

I have no issues with Plaid in the 'local' elections; they fight for 'local' issues and do a good job. However, any thoughts they have of running an 'independent' Wales would be scary, if it weren't for its extreme unlikelihood

And don't forget Groggs, Welsh Cakes, Dame Shirley Bassey, Charlotte Church and Andy Fairweather-Lowe ;)

Perhaps we could make money by advising countries on how to best manage their health services, ambulances, and education and how best to award grants to con artists. Forgot about Welsh Cakes, they would be our equivalent to Saudi Arabia's oil.
Steve Zodiak

Postby wez1927 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 pm

BlueGog wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

:lol: whos going to subsidised the production like Westminster does ? the Welsh government? where would they get the money from?
wez1927

Postby montyblue » Tue May 14, 2019 4:11 pm

RV CASUAL

was' nt having ago at the valleys in the slightest if you read what i wrote, it was the lack of invesment compared to the regions where the other minning communities where
Eg yorkshire and nottigham because they where the strike breakers,
Especially notts england .
The westminster goverment decided where the money should go, not the welsh goverment , infact the welsh goverment where crying out for money to be invested after the deliberate collapse of the coal industry.
montyblue

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm

if you love your country why the hell do you want to change it..
I love it too ,as it is, not with nicer lips or bigger tits..as it is...
dogfound

Postby Lengee » Tue May 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Perhaps we could make money by advising countries on how to best manage their health services, ambulances, and education and how best to award grants to con artists. Forgot about Welsh Cakes, they would be our equivalent to Saudi Arabia's oil.

:lol: with humour like that, have you ever thought of going onto the stage?....maybe back end of a horse in an English panto? :thumbup: :bluebird:
Lengee

Postby tcblue » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Sven wrote:

If Wales isn’t a country (and is therefore a region of England) then we should do the honorable thing and abolish our NATIONAL football team. You can’t have your cake and eat it
tcblue

Postby tcblue » Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

wez1927 wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:And who would pay to buy all the power stations? And DCWW is a not for profit organisation.

The get rich plan has hit a snag.

tax tax tax will be the plan.of labour and plaid

New Plaid leader ran on a platform to cut tax. Just saying

Don’t let lies get in the way of a good story though
tcblue

Postby tcblue » Tue May 14, 2019 6:10 pm

rumpo kid wrote:That’s it then. I’m voting Plaid because Big Ben is having a refit..

Big Ben is more valuable to the London government than the entirety of Wales. Fact.

The temporary parliament in London will cost the same amount as 1/4 of the entire Welsh budget. And that is just on the temp accommodation.

Meanwhile, they can throw bungs of £1.2bn to Northern Ireland to keep their miserable government in power.

The entire system is designed to keep those outside of the south east isolated
tcblue

Postby tcblue » Tue May 14, 2019 6:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
CityBlue93 wrote:

Furthermore, Wales is well on the path to reaching its target of 70% of electricity consumption from renewable sources.

Canada is the world’s largest exporter of electricity at 64 TWh; Germany 51 TWh; Paraguay 48 TWh; France at 42TWh.Then comes Wales, placed above energy rich Norway and its $1 trillion sovereign wealth fund built on surpluses from its energy policy.

The British State as a whole isn’t even in the top ten. The reality is that most other countries are net importers of electricity or produce little for export.
tcblue

Postby tcblue » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Jock wrote:

i was' nt saying we could be using coal today it was about we never made as much money in the past with coal, as we could have if we held the purse strings and where independent before coal came about we as a country could have been very rich.

I was talking about the way westminster picks and chooses which region gets a share , and wales does'nt.

Wales gets more, per capita, from Westminster than any English region. When Barry was the biggest coal exporting port in the world some Welshman got very rich. Those who benefited the most financially weren’t inclined to share it out.

Name me five Welshmen. I dare you to post links to corroborate them too.

They were all from the west of England and sucked the wealth out
tcblue

Postby dogfound » Tue May 14, 2019 6:20 pm

tcblue wrote:
Jock wrote:

but isn't that the case with energy as well ?

btw Wales target is to be 70% on renewable energy by 2030...so any notion that we are going to get rich quick on energy anytime soon is just incorrect...its our power stations that at present are producing all this surplus and they wont be around long..
dogfound

Postby wez1927 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Jock wrote:

but isn't that the case with energy as well ?

btw Wales target is to be 70% on renewable energy by 2030...so any notion that we are going to get rich quick on energy anytime soon is just incorrect...its our power stations that at present are producing all this surplus and they wont be around long..

without the uk government subsidies for energy then there will be no new power station projects they are not cost effective
wez1927

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat