Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

‘ ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY ‘

Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am

‘ ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY ‘

Ever since i first went down the city in 1972 i believed (and still do) that if we could establish ourselves in the first division, (premier league) we could comfortably average 40,000 crowds, unfortunately, it has taken the best part of 45 years to get there and then we only lasted one season. (twice) It's so frustrating because we are not giving ourselves a chance to build up the fan base by getting the "floating" fans to come on a regular basis, or even become season ticket holders. Our support this season has been fantastic, we've averaged 31,500 and if all the away teams had taken their full allocation it would have benn 32,000, considering the lack of quality on display from us it's a great effort.

This brings me on to my main topic, Neil Warnock, i would put the majority of city fans on this forum into two categories,

1. They think the sun shines out of Neil Warnocks arse and he can do no wrong.

2. Fans can see what a tremendous job he has done but point the finger of blame for many poor performances/results over the season. I think we all love the man and there are not many managers (if any) that could have got the squad he had promoted to the premier league two years ago, but for me his biggest acheivement was bringing a broken club back together, from tea lady, right through to the fans and board he is the one who has managed to do this, for that reason he should always be regarded as one of the best managers the club has ever had.

I have been very consistent on this forum over my views on Warnock this season, about four times (firstly in august) i have said that he is out of his depth in the premier league but hoped to be proved wrong.....unfortunately i wasn't. There are many valid reasons why we went down, poor team selections, poor or lack of substitutions, shocking decisions by officials, some that blatent it was on the verge of cheating.

But for me, where the season was defined was between August and christmas, we went five months without a striker, for me it was unforgivable that we started the season without a goalscorer and Warnock has to take full responcibility for not bringing one in, he didn't have a great amount of money to spend but a goalscorer should have been the utmost priority, in my opinion, if we had one from the first game of the season we would have comfortably stayed up this season. That said, would i start next season with Warnock?? of course i would, there is no one better in the championship.........the premier league is a different matter though.

Re: ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY

Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 am

Surely NW can only suggest signings, if all signings have to be ratified by VT I wonder with the time difference did we miss out on anyone?

Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am

Good post, I share many of you're views.

Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am

Out of his depth? Poor tactics etc?

Maybe the team spirit that he instilled got us further than we could ever hope for with the quality of players he had. Yes some of his selections and tactics were a bit baffling at times but he was trying different things based on hunches which more often than not worked.

We did a lot better than under Malky who (relatively speaking) had more money over the course of promotion and premier league.

Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am

We did have strikers at the club, Zohore, Ward, Madine and Reid can score goals. Zohore went off the boil and didn't come back, but we all know he can score. Ward had injuries (god knows how when he wasn't playing) Madine appeared to be a bad buy, but I think he wasn't given a proper chance with us. And Bobby Reid is a very skilful and quick forward, but once again, wasn't given much game time to start with. I think you have to have a pretty settled side so that players get used to the way each other plays. This is the one thing NW gets wrong, it seems he has his favourites and wont shift his thinking.
I think the front four from Sunday's game will frighten the crap out of a lot of Championship defences but they need to be given a fair run to get it right.
With the injured players hopefully on their way back and a few additions obviously in the middle and an additional striker, we could be having another good season coming, and although the season's just finished, I can't wait.

Wed May 15, 2019 11:08 am

I'm sure Warnock made mistakes as do most managers in this game. However, he was one win away from keeping a low budget team in probably the hardest league in the world. He obviously identified a weakness up front, and tried to address it by spending a club record fee on a new striker. He can hardly shoulder the blame for an aeroplane crash.

Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 am

Well next season I'm sure he will get a proven striker in,as a priority .

With 2 CM's and a CB and a RB . I think with the rest of the squad we have, were good to go.

If we are lucky enough to get promoted , NW as said he won't be here . So then hopefully we will have a replacement readily lined up.

Next season I think with the right recruitment is going to very exciting.

Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm sure Warnock made mistakes as do most managers in this game. However, he was one win away from keeping a low budget team in probably the hardest league in the world. He obviously identified a weakness up front, and tried to address it by spending a club record fee on a new striker. He can hardly shoulder the blame for an aeroplane crash.

He tried to address it in January, why not in the summer????

Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am

cityone wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm sure Warnock made mistakes as do most managers in this game. However, he was one win away from keeping a low budget team in probably the hardest league in the world. He obviously identified a weakness up front, and tried to address it by spending a club record fee on a new striker. He can hardly shoulder the blame for an aeroplane crash.

How do you know he did'nt? Identifying a potential target and signing one are two different things.

Wed May 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Let's hope neil brings in 2 strikers, knowing our luck if we got only 1 he would break his leg 1st game
A bit like lang getting injured 1st 10 mins of tbe 1st game of the season

Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm

City one.in the main I agree with you.so many on here crave the championship but Cardiffs a big capital city should always have a top flight club and pushing for European football.you'll never build a fanbase paying in the championship or lower all the time.

Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm

skiprat wrote:City one.in the main I agree with you.so many on here crave the championship but Cardiffs a big capital city should always have a top flight club and pushing for European football.you'll never build a fanbase paying in the championship or lower all the time.

I expect most City fans knowing that Cardiff is a big city with a good fan base feel the same as you. I imagine fans of Bristol, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday etc., probably feel the same way as they also have clubs representing large suburban areas with the potential for a good fan base. Unfortunately, there are only twenty places up for grabs, and therefore there are always going to be clubs with potential like ours who are going to miss out.

Wed May 15, 2019 2:29 pm

montyblue wrote:Let's hope neil brings in 2 strikers, knowing our luck if we got only 1 he would break his leg 1st game

Monty, don’t be surprised if he brings Madine back in and keeps Zohore.

Wed May 15, 2019 4:12 pm

cityone wrote:

you really do not know as none of us do..no we did not bring a striker in , that's the bit we can see but don't think it fair to then jump to the conclusion we did not try..
how attractive was a move to Cardiff last summer ..especially for a striker..and that's even before you start talking fees and wages

Re: ‘ ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY ‘

Wed May 15, 2019 4:33 pm

cityone wrote:‘ ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY ‘

Ever since i first went down the city in 1972 i believed (and still do) that if we could establish ourselves in the first division, (premier league) we could comfortably average 40,000 crowds, unfortunately, it has taken the best part of 45 years to get there and then we only lasted one season. (twice) It's so frustrating because we are not giving ourselves a chance to build up the fan base by getting the "floating" fans to come on a regular basis, or even become season ticket holders. Our support this season has been fantastic, we've averaged 31,500 and if all the away teams had taken their full allocation it would have benn 32,000, considering the lack of quality on display from us it's a great effort.

This brings me on to my main topic, Neil Warnock, i would put the majority of city fans on this forum into two categories,

2. Fans can see what a tremendous job he has done but point the finger of blame for many poor performances/results over the season. I think we all love the man and there are not many managers (if any) that could have got the squad he had promoted to the premier league two years ago, but for me his biggest acheivement was bringing a broken club back together, from tea lady, right through to the fans and board he is the one who has managed to do this, for that reason he should always be regarded as one of the best managers the club has ever had.

I have been very consistent on this forum over my views on Warnock this season, about four times (firstly in august) i have said that he is out of his depth in the premier league but hoped to be proved wrong.....unfortunately i wasn't. There are many valid reasons why we went down, poor team selections, poor or lack of substitutions, shocking decisions by officials, some that blatent it was on the verge of cheating.

But for me, where the season was defined was between August and christmas, we went five months without a striker, for me it was unforgivable that we started the season without a goalscorer and Warnock has to take full responcibility for not bringing one in, he didn't have a great amount of money to spend but a goalscorer should have been the utmost priority, in my opinion, if we had one from the first game of the season we would have comfortably stayed up this season. That said, would i start next season with Warnock?? of course i would, there is no one better in the championship.........the premier league is a different matter though.

Well in fairness to you, if you've only been watching Cardiff City since 1972 I can put most of this down to youthful over exuberance. Actually I can't disagree with you either - just wanted to use that line.

In fairness to Sir Neil he nearly got away with it given that I could count the points robbed by incorrect refereeing and it'd have been enough to beat Brighton, he didn't have enough to spend and who could expect our record purchase striker to be killed ?

Think back though to the era you mentioned . On the way to the game , during it and on the way back we'd be exchanging our dreams that Cardiff might get into the first division. Great team which never quite got there , but close enough to keep us all hoping . Then we'd all go to the local bit of grass and play three and in , maybe fighting a bit till someone chased us off or it just got dark and we went our separate ways to go home for a bollocking about being late and watched Match of the Day in black and white .
The teams we saw on it were all the ones we've been playing this season - and not just playing ,but doing so in colour ! ( did we know these top teams had coloured shirts ?)

Well, to me that's progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day. We can have some realistic aspiration to actually win the Champinship next season - not just a vague hope we might get away with the play offs, and absolutely the best manager for the job. It's not perfect, but real life isn't , yet we've actually been in the first division TWICE in recent years and we're knocking insistently on the door for a permanent spot amongst the big clubs .
I see everything in the attitude of the club to say that's going to happen.

You're right that Warnockball doesn't work at the top level though and Sir Neil knows that as well as you and I now because we've tried it. So, yes we will need to change a lot of stuff next time we're making the step up, but that's for another day.

There's a clear objective this coming season and I think were poised nicely for it

:bluescarf:

Wed May 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Well in fairness to you, if you've only been watching Cardiff City since 1972 I can put most of this down to youthful over exuberance. Actually I can't disagree with you either - just wanted to use that line.

In fairness to Sir Neil he nearly got away with it given that I could count the points robbed by incorrect refereeing and it'd have been enough to beat Brighton, he didn't have enough to spend and who could expect our record purchase striker to be killed ?

Think back though to the era you mentioned . On the way to the game , during it and on the way back we'd be exchanging our dreams that Cardiff might get into the first division. Great team which never quite got there , but close enough to keep us all hoping . Then we'd all go to the local bit of grass and play three and in , maybe fighting a bit till someone chased us off or it just got dark and we went our separate ways to go home for a bollocking about being late and watched Match of the Day in black and white .
The teams we saw on it were all the ones we've been playing this season - and not just playing ,but doing so in colour ! ( did we know these top teams had coloured shirts ?)

Well, to me that's progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day. We can have some realistic aspiration to actually win the Champinship next season - not just a vague hope we might get away with the play offs, and absolutely the best manager for the job. It's not perfect, but real life isn't , yet we've actually been in the first division TWICE in recent years and we're knocking insistently on the door for a permanent spot amongst the big clubs .

You're right that Warnockball doesn't work at the top level though and Sir Neil knows that as well as you and I now because we've tried it. So, yes we will need to change a lot of stuff next time we're making the step up, but that's for another day.

There's a clear objective this coming season and I think were poised nicely for it

Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
skiprat wrote:City one.in the main I agree with you.so many on here crave the championship but Cardiffs a big capital city should always have a top flight club and pushing for European football.you'll never build a fanbase paying in the championship or lower all the time.

I expect most City fans knowing that Cardiff is a big city with a good fan base feel the same as you. I imagine fans of Bristol, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday etc., probably feel the same way as they also have clubs representing large suburban areas with the potential for a good fan base. Unfortunately, there are only twenty places up for grabs, and therefore there are always going to be clubs with potential like ours who are going to miss out.

with the exception of Bristol City those clubs have all missed out far less than ourselves.. and there is definitely a link between years playing top tier football and attendances...

Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Absolutely correct those clubs listed except Bristol have had a minimum of 50 seasons each in the top flight Cardiff in comparison 17 in their entire history .

Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 am

All managers make mistakes and we just move on :old: :old: The Sala tradegy was always going to make it harder. :sad7:

Just sing this tune to make you happy :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

It's Luton away, it's Luton away fu... Man Utd it's Luton away :laughing6: :laughing5: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am

montyblue wrote:Let's hope neil brings in 2 strikers, knowing our luck if we got only 1 he would break his leg 1st game

I tottally agree with the two strikers comment, we also need three midfielders to replace the three that have left, for me zahore is a useless lump who has had numerous chances in both divisions and is not up to it. I would also get rid of healy but keep ward, also cover at right back and another centre half, that's seven players which sounds a lot but four have already gone.

Thu May 16, 2019 12:50 pm

cityone wrote:

I tottally agree with the two strikers comment, we also need three midfielders to replace the three that have left, for me zahore is a useless lump who has had numerous chances in both divisions and is not up to it. I would also get rid of healy but keep ward, also cover at right back and another centre half, that's seven players which sounds a lot but four have already gone.

Why cover at right back? we have Peltier, Richards and Warnock likes to play Manga their, then we also have Coxe who Man City after chasing :lol:
Post a reply