Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BLAKEY: WHY I'D HAVE LET HIM GO NOW...

Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 am

Why I'd have stopped delaying the inevitable and got rid of Neil Warnock now | Blakey
By Nathan Blake

"Cardiff don't appear to have the vision to look and plan for the future."

Saturday 18th May 2019

Cardiff City legend Nathan Blake talks why he thinks the Bluebirds have made the wrong decision this week

Neil Warnock staying at Cardiff City was the worst-kept secret in football this week.

He was always going to stay. I think it was an element of posturing from both sides and a power struggle going on, but if Cardiff were going to get rid of Warnock, they would have done so by now.

But now he is staying put in south Wales, let's hope that the club are doing their due diligence and planning for when he does leave.

The problem is that it's hard to plan for the future when you have one year left with Warnock.

You can't really bring in a coach under him to build for the following season. In the past, I've said they should, to strengthen the skills gradually for when Warnock leaves next year - but it won't happen.

So all you are doing by keeping Warnock without a transition plan is delaying the inevitable, simply because of sentiment.

But I don't do sentiment.

And that's why I'd have called time on Warnock's spell with the Bluebirds this summer.

Look, he's done wonders at this club, but looking at how Cardiff are and where they are, the club are in a dilemma.

They don't appear to have the vision to look and plan for the future.

They need to be thinking how do we get Cardiff get into the situation where they know they can get into the Premier League and stay there?

For me, this is the season where you put those plans in place.

You bring in a new coach that fits into the philosophy, you bring in new players that fit that same philosophy and, for the first season back in the Championship, you build.

It's not a case of the manager saying 'jump' and the club asking 'how high?' It's a totally different dynamic.

Instead, Cardiff have nothing in place in terms of replacement or planning for the future.

Now, whatever happens next year, we're setting ourselves a bigger problem to fix in 12 months' time.

If Cardiff get promoted back to the Premier League, as is their plan for keeping Warnock another season, you get a new man coming into the job and immediately inheriting Warnock's squad in the toughest league in the world.

If you're worried about a new manager rebuilding in the Championship this season, why is letting one do that in the Premier League next season more attractive?

Especially if the club want to evolve the way they play the game. The top flight is hardly the place to do that with a sum-of-the-parts team that Warnock had put together.

And if you don't get promoted, then you're just starting the rebuilding process in the Championship 12 months later than you could have if you'd bit the bullet now.

Maybe in a worse position, depending if we get another year of Warnock's signings who might not fit the bill for his incoming replacement.

You might feel that the club has no option with all this short-termism but to keep Warnock so he can keep the club stable after relegation and push for another promotion, but I don't think that's the case. There's always an option.

Sure, Warnock pretty much offers you a top 10 finish in the second tier, but anything higher is no guarantee.

I'll stress again, Warnock has done so much good for this club.

In fact, he overachieved - bringing success perhaps a year before its time. That promotion brought everything forward.

It showed again he could do it, but it also showed again he couldn't stay there.

That's why I'd be inclined to let him go a year before his time, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BLAKEY: WHY I'D HAVE LET HIM GO NOW...

Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 am

Can't agree with this and it sounds like another 'media soundbite' from Blakey :roll:

Firstly, he doesn't know what the 'succession' plans are but I point out that they have been mentioned in Neil Warnock (and therefor presumably the club's) thinking

Secondly, his quote "It showed again he could do it, but it also showed again he couldn't stay there" is a little odd, as Neil Warnock has already started he won't be managing in the Premier League again, so who better in the Championship to get the 'new guy' a flying start should he (Warnock) do the business yet again?

I'm sure it's a dilemma the both the club and its supporters would love to have! :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat May 18, 2019 7:55 am

Chris, we really do not know what goes on behind the scenes and neither does Blakey, we don't know what plans are in place, and knowing Warnock and the board, i really do think that they will be planning for when he leaves!

Sat May 18, 2019 8:24 am

Brighton sacked their manager this week and like the vast majority of clubs that do the same they have an idea of who they might like as their next manager but no one actually lined up , not getting the first choice they will move on to 2nd, 3rd,4th etc..
this idea of planning years ahead is more than a bit naïve. you appoint a manager you think will take you forward along with ideally building for the future..but the reality is ,if he is a huge success you could well see more successful clubs come in for him, if his players shine , likewise clubs will be knocking with cheque books for those players. if either happens it puts paid to your plan or at least puts a big dent in it..an.if he fails he will be sacked and many of the players brought in for this...to stay there... plan will be moved on..and the process starts all over again..
I find it frustrating when long term fans who have seen this happen time and again { in our case managers failing } keep talking about long term plans..when its an ex pro who has been through manager changes and then personnel changes throughout his career I don't know what to think..was he walking around in a daze or what.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 am

No. He's suggesting that we forget everything we've done, dump the strengths and advantages we've got today and start again.
A new manager and developing new ways this year I saying we're happy to experiment for the future and spend five years getting it together for the next promotion push.

Progress is just that - building on your strengths and getting better, not knocking it all down and starting again when you have a set back.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am

Personally I'd hand it over to the gentleman in the background wherever we end up. Good manager in his own right.

Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 am

It was only few years ago that we tried to ‘have a plan’ and that failed. That’s not to say we shouldn’t have one, but who knows what is going on behind the scenes...having a plan doesn’t mean you have to throw all of the good bits away.

If Warnock can add some real footballing quality to this side that had a strong work ethic, should set us up well for whoever comes in 12 months down the line.

Sat May 18, 2019 10:13 am

Normally I like what Blakey has to say...but on this occasion he is talking through his ass

Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 am

I woud say that the most important thing is getting promoted again and the best chance we have of doing that next season is by keeping a manager in place, who guarantees that more than any other manager in the league. Add into that, the fact that he has brought the club and fans back together and already has the nucleus of a squad that will run through walls for him. Blakey, as per usual is just playing devils advocate, but any rational conclusion, given the options, would 100% be to keep Warnock in place and who knows, if he got promoted, he may even change his mind and want another season in the Premiership! Just to reach another target, of actually keeping a team there. :thumbup:

Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:I woud say that the most important thing is getting promoted again and the best chance we have of doing that next season is by keeping a manager in place, who guarantees that more than any other manager in the league. Add into that, the fact that he has brought the club and fans back together and already has the nucleus of a squad that will run through walls for him. Blakey, as per usual is just playing devils advocate, but any rational conclusion, given the options, would 100% be to keep Warnock in place and who knows, if he got promoted, he may even change his mind and want another season in the Premiership! Just to reach another target, of actually keeping a team there. :thumbup:

Spot on :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 am

Blake really does talk some rubbish, thats why he only lasted a few weeks as a coach at little Newport County
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 18, 2019 10:38 am

Our best chance of going straight back up is to hang on to our best players and to sign a few quality midfield players and a striker. Warnock knows our strengths and importantly the players know him. A new manager would probably be looking to stamp his shape on the side and on balance that probably runs too many risks. One more year is ideal.

Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 am

Our best chance of going up is getting Blakey in charge and then signing Ramsey on a free :lol:

Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 am

Bambasbestbuddy22 wrote:Normally I like what Blakey has to say...but on this occasion he is talking through his ass

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 pm

For me time for him to go, not for the reason that we came down, just let a new manager build a team and keep the manager if we did manage promotion again.... warnock is just wanting a season long deal..... a fantastic time under warnock but time to move on.... just my opinion.. :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Our best chance of going up is getting Blakey in charge and then signing Ramsey on a free :lol:

Not forgetting Joe Ledley and possibly John Toshack as the missing goal scorer we've lacked

Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 pm

So for the club to progress we have to get rid of the manager with the most promotions ever.

Seems dull as f**k to me.

An the club is probably planning for the future the season after Warnock retires. An we are in with a good chance of that being in the premier league

Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 pm

krabb wrote:For me time for him to go, not for the reason that we came down, just let a new manager build a team and keep the manager if we did manage promotion again.... warnock is just wanting a season long deal..... a fantastic time under warnock but time to move on.... just my opinion.. :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Neil Warnock didn't 'want' a one-year contract; this next season was already in place as part of his original multi-year contract and who is to say he may not extend it?

He certainly hasn't said he won't; just that he doesn't see him managing another season in the Premier League

Keeping the current manager and squad together increases the club's chances of another promotion

After that, let's see... :ayatollah:

Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm

It's all very well him saying this but I would have a lot more time for it if he actually named this brilliant coach who is going to get us playing great football and has the up to date modern ideas who will guarantee us a long stay in the premier league. Maybe that Paul Trollope bloke who worked so well with Wales and turned Bristol Rovers into one of the most exciting sides in Europe, perhaps working in conjunction with an experienced old hand like Russell Slade.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Got a lot of time for nathan Blake.He may have a point what he says but the safe option at this point is to let warnock have another go makes sense at this point.
Hes not afraid to say what he thinks I admire him for that new he would be shot down as most wanted warnock to stay.
Hes entiled to his opinion as I am .
I'm happy for warnock to stay.

Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 pm

I would rather see a new manager come in but I cant deny warnock does wonders in the championship it's his comfort zone and northern many managers are comfortable there.

If warnock gets us promoted again we need a relevant manager with premier league tactics.

I take nothing away from warnock his past proves he struggles in the top flight

Ide like to see him bring I'm a new coach this year and bring some quality football to the games

Hes here next season no matter what anyone says he does deserve another shot so the show must go on and be there as usual

Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am

Does anybody listen to this pundit?? He's just a shit Chris Sutton/Paul Scholes looking for attention

Mon May 20, 2019 6:33 pm

I'd let Blakey go. And he can take Watham and the all-knowing Scott Johnson with him.