Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Selling the stadium

Sat May 18, 2019 9:31 am

Seems to be a new method of getting around FFP. Last year Derby sold their stadium to the owner and supposedly Sheffield Wednesday will/ have done the same. I dont know about you but that would make me feel massively uncomfortable. The stadium is the biggest asset a club has and you only need to look at Coventry to see what can happen if all goes wrong and you dont own your ground.

Re: Selling the stadium

Sat May 18, 2019 9:48 am

would depend on the wording of the contract..

if it was specified that the only sport that could be played there was football ?
im sure I read ages ago the council had some provisos as to what uses it could have ?

Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

dogfound wrote:would depend on the wording of the contract..

if it was specified that the only sport that could be played there was football ?
im sure I read ages ago the council had some provisos as to what uses it could have ?

Yes there is a council thing about selling stadium it was to stop certain owner from doing what's been posted ! not sure if it's just about sport but could be a total block on it being sold without council permission .... sure someone will have full details :thumbup:

Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am

That's good news, the whole thing of selling your stadium to raise capital short term seems like very short term thinking and a real gamble.

Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 am

Sounds like a desperate way out of a hole that could go horribly wrong.

Sat May 18, 2019 12:19 pm

I thought we owned our stadium

Sat May 18, 2019 12:28 pm

And after they have sold the stadium and it fails, what next ?

Sat May 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Ive often wondered why we don't raise money by renaming it. It's not as if it's got a tradition in the name like Ninian Park.

Sat May 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I think the renaming of your stadium is only really attractive if you play in the premier league and have sky sports mentioning the stadium name in the pre-game. Though I may be wrong.

Sat May 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Does not Sam still benefit from any naming rights within a certain period?

Sat May 18, 2019 2:10 pm

fred keenor wrote:Does not Sam still benefit from any naming rights within a certain period?

Think that ran out a couple years ago. But he is reason why stadium cannot be sold by any owner council did not trust him after what he did to Wimbledon, so they've put in place a cuvinant or something to prevent it being sold :old:

Sat May 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Should be done after 2/3 years in the Prem to gain bigger sponsors willing to pay more...

Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 pm

quite often I read that selling the naming rightrs would be a good way to generate cash...
not sure how easy it is to get a sponsor for naming rights though....

seems to be a heck of a lot of stadiums that have not sold their naming rights. and it doesn't really have to be a new stadium to do it..

Sun May 19, 2019 11:16 am

Should never be renamed because it gives it and us an identity that's lacking in named stadiums :thumbup:

Mon May 20, 2019 3:36 am

pembroke allan wrote:
fred keenor wrote:Does not Sam still benefit from any naming rights within a certain period?

Think that ran out a couple years ago. But he is reason why stadium cannot be sold by any owner council did not trust him after what he did to Wimbledon, so they've put in place a cuvinant or something to prevent it being sold :old:

stadium always has to be used for sports so cannot be sold off for housing etc

Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 am

Your not selling the stadium, but the naming rights.

Just look around the country - some of the biggest clubs stadium comes with branding.... Emirates, Ethiad, Reebok Stadium, DW, King Power, John Smiths, Principality Stadium Cardiff, Aviva Stadium Dublin..... Its an easy way for short term revenue.

I have to say with our SE Asia connections Im astonished we haven't done it yet. They love a bit of branding.

You look at Man City & Arsenal its done them absolutely no harm whatsoever!

Tue May 21, 2019 12:55 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Your not selling the stadium, but the naming rights.

Just look around the country - some of the biggest clubs stadium comes with branding.... Emirates, Ethiad, Reebok Stadium, DW, King Power, John Smiths, Principality Stadium Cardiff, Aviva Stadium Dublin..... Its an easy way for short term revenue.

I have to say with our SE Asia connections Im astonished we haven't done it yet. They love a bit of branding.

You look at Man City & Arsenal its done them absolutely no harm whatsoever!

Emirates paid for the stadium arsenal paid peanuts for it if anything .... Etihad airways paid 400m or something stupid for name ! Would it be worth selling name every 5 years or so? Prefer keep it way it is at least it's got an identity to the club and city of Cardiff :thumbup:

Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 pm

It has a unique identity because of a tier of different coloured seats. Should a sponsor want to pay for a long term deal the club would do it I'm sure. Sponsors though would look for as much assurance as possible of a bright future before investing. Can't imagine a long running legal case over an unpaid transfer fee would add much to clubs negotiating position. Maybe there is some marketing angle in a deal which sees blue seats being put in.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:01 am

It's not naming rights I was talking about. If you look at derby they sold their stadium to lease it back off the owner. This helped them circumvent FFP. Sheffield Wednesday are looming to do the same. I'm not suggesting it by the way, I'm asking whether other would be comfortable doing this. I personally would not.

Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 am

LaBamba wrote:It's not naming rights I was talking about. If you look at derby they sold their stadium to lease it back off the owner. This helped them circumvent FFP. Sheffield Wednesday are looming to do the same. I'm not suggesting it by the way, I'm asking whether other would be comfortable doing this. I personally would not.

Cannot do it without permission from council as they've put in something to stop owners selling stadium ! leasing it back whilst way of making money it still can go tits up if owner was as unscrupulous as some we've seen in football.. cannot ever seeing the actual stadium being sold no reason really to do so :old:

Thu May 23, 2019 9:07 am

LaBamba wrote:It's not naming rights I was talking about. If you look at derby they sold their stadium to lease it back off the owner. This helped them circumvent FFP. Sheffield Wednesday are looming to do the same. I'm not suggesting it by the way, I'm asking whether other would be comfortable doing this. I personally would not.

i think in our case if Tan were to buy it and lease it back the council have legal agreements regarding what use the stadium /land can be used for..so it would be pretty safe..