Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Marshall (Prem) or Etheridge (Prem)?

You may select 1 option

View results

David Marshall or Neil Etheridge

Sun May 19, 2019 8:47 am

Just been having a bit of a think, thought this would be a good poll.
If you had to choose between having Neil Etheridge or David Marshall after the way they both performed in the Prem, who would you choose?

Re: David Marshall or Neil Etheridge

Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 am

Interesting one,both great shot stoppers but both poor distribution.Etheridge commanded his area a little bit better and has only one champ and one prem to his name where Marshall has had a lot more.
Both very good keepers for us.
Etheridge for me.

Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 am

Fred Davies really , but I couldn't choose between the two great keepers you've listed, other than to say Etheridge has got to pip it on the basis that he's still here.

Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 am

We conceded 74 goals in 2013/14 with David Marshall in goal and 69 this season with Neil Etheridge. So by 5 goals NE seeks it :D

Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:We conceded 74 goals in 2013/14 with David Marshall in goal and 69 this season with Neil Etheridge. So by 5 goals NE seeks it :D

We also had malky and ole as our managers back then this season we had Neil warnock throughout so also have to put them factors in :D

Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am

Appreciate it's a straw poll but no vote from me

Both deserve/earned that respect for their heroics in a Cardiff City shirt from me :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah:

Sun May 19, 2019 11:41 am

Easy decision.

David Marshall by a mile.

Sun May 19, 2019 12:39 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Easy decision.

Fair point. I think both have been very, very good keepers for us.
But, why do you say Marshall by a mile? Only asking because most people are saying Etheridge.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Both are good championship keepers

Neither are really good enough for the Premier league full time due to their all round game. Both are good shot stoppers but neither could kick a ball and both their distribution is poor.
Etheridge is slightly better at crosses but Marshall was better at commanding his area which Etheridge massively fails at.

Marshall is/was the better keeper

Sun May 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Cardiffboy95 wrote:

But, why do you say Marshall by a mile? Only asking because most people are saying Etheridge.

A lot of Etheridge's saves, he'd be rightly criticised if he let them in. Marshall made some saves that were genuinely top class.

Both had bad distribution, but I'd say more so in Etheridge's case.

I would even put Heaton ahead of Etheridge, during the time he was Marshall's deputy.

Certainly don't see the bids coming in for Etheridge that some are suggesting.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Both brilliant shot stoppers but Marshall gets it for me just because his distribution and kicking is so much better than Etheridge's. But not much between them tbh.

Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Cardiffboy95 wrote:

A lot of Etheridge's saves, he'd be rightly criticised if he let them in. Marshall made some saves that were genuinely top class.

I would even put Heaton ahead of Etheridge, during the time he was Marshall's deputy.

no idea how marshal got back in over Heaton...

Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm

dogfound wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Cardiffboy95 wrote:

Wouldn’t put it past Malky to pick him just because he was Scottish

Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Cardiffboy95 wrote:

Wouldn’t put it past Malky to pick him just because he was Scottish

It was a tight decision at the time and Malky could have selected either as his No.1 with the other leaving for more first team football (as Heaton did)

I'm recalling a report from back then that Tom Heaton was suffering from some sort of confidence issue(?) and it may have been a simple case of Malky trusting Marshall that little bit more

Who is to say which was the right choice? Marshall was superb for Cardiff in his time here and Heaton has got 3 England caps to his name since he left, so both pretty good at their craft ;)

Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 am

David marshall out of contract this summer? Make a good back up to Smithies if we were to sell

Mon May 20, 2019 10:26 am

fred keenor wrote:David marshall out of contract this summer? Make a good back up to Smithies if we were to sell

I'd rather we pushed for someone younger.

Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Neither can save a decent shot from outside the area. Etheridge was poor on distribution,speed of thought and got beat too easily from distance shots. But on the plus side he is young and a great reaction shot stopper
All three teams that went down have keepers who had good save stats it's the nature of the beast. All 3 wanted by other clubs. I expect Murphy or Smithies would have had good stats.