Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sky Sports: Vincent Kompany to become player / manager

Sun May 19, 2019 11:23 am

Vincent Kompany to become Anderlecht player-manager following Man City departure

Vincent Kompany is leaving Manchester City after 11 years at the club.

Sky Sports

19/05/19

Vincent Kompany is returning to Belgium with his boyhood club Anderlecht

Vincent Kompany is to become the player-manager of Anderlecht after confirming his departure from Manchester City.

The City captain revealed he was leaving the club after 11 years on Sunday, a day after a 6-0 win over Watford in the FA Cup final saw them become the first English men's club to secure the domestic treble.

Kompany has now unveiled his plans for the future; he has signed a three-year deal with Belgian side Anderlecht, where he came through the ranks before joining Hamburg in 2006.

The 33-year-old explained his decision on Facebook, writing: "I have decided to take up the challenge at RSC Anderlecht. Player-Manager.

Kompany announced his departure from Manchester City on Sunday, after helping them to the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup this season

"I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations. With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium.

"This may come as a surprise to you. It's the most passionate yet rational decision I've ever made.

"As a footballer, I was born and raised at RSC Anderlecht. Since the age of 6, I have been one with that club. A history of 34 league titles, they are second to none."

'Man City play the football I want to play'

Kompany says he met with Anderlecht owner Marc Coucke and sports director Michael Verschueren at their training ground when on international duty with Belgium last year.

He offered his assistance to the club, before talks with technical director Frank Arnesen on "how to build a strong playing identity based on attractive, attacking football."

Kompany was then offered the player-manager role "not so long ago". He added: "Mr. Coucke, the owner, pledged full support: time, budget, framework, staff, facilities. I was left not only impressed, but also intrigued by this sign of confidence in me.

Kompany says Pep Guardiola 'reignited his love for the game'

"It got me thinking. The end of this season couldn't be more memorable. I have lived the dream here. I have learned so much the last 3 years. From an incredible manager. Pep Guardiola reignited my love for the game. I've witnessed, participated, analysed, absorbed, studied.

"Man City play the football I want to play. It is the football I want to teach and to see played."

Kompany made 103 appearances for Anderlecht during his first spell at the club, twice helping the club to the Belgian title.

They are the most successful club in Belgium, but have won just one title in the last five years and have not won the Belgian Cup for 11 seasons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sky Sports: Vincent Kompany to become player / manager

Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 am

KOMPANY JOINS ANDERLECHT

Vincent Kompany came through the youth ranks at Anderlecht, having joined the club at the age of six.

He revealed that he had met with club chairman Marc Coucke and sporting director Michael Verschueren last summer.

"I shared my thoughts and listened to their vision for the future: ambitious, courageous and determined to get back to number one. I offered my help, no strings attached, should they need it."

Kompany says he was then offered the player-manager job in the last few weeks.

"I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations," he continued.

"With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium. This is no goodbye. It's a see you later."

Sun May 19, 2019 1:32 pm

bit surprised City haven't bust a gut to keep him another season..

Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 pm

dogfound wrote:bit surprised City haven't bust a gut to keep him another season..

Same I thought there was plenty more still in the tank and his leadership skills and impact off the pitch as well as on it will be hard to replace for City. Comes across like a really good guy and will be interesting to see how he does in management.

Sun May 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
dogfound wrote:bit surprised City haven't bust a gut to keep him another season..

Same I thought there was plenty more still in the tank and his leadership skills and impact off the pitch as well as on it will be hard to replace for City. Comes across like a really good guy and will be interesting to see how he does in management.

Maybe they did. Very much doubt that this was a spur of the moment decision that nobody at Man city knew about until today.

Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Big loss for City. Guys a real leader of those players..

We have stopped producing guys like him..

Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 am

It's often been said that as well as being a great leader and defender, he's also one of the nicest people in football. Always comes across well when he's interviewed.

His goal against Leicester was unbelievable and was a huge goal in them winning the league. I remember his interview after when he said: "For 15 years I've been saying that one day I'm going to shoot from outside the penalty area and I'm going to score, and you're all going to be really happy about that one" :lol:

Good luck to him.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 am

Seen it before with City though and defenders with injuries being moved on, he’s been one of the better defenders in the PL for many seasons, would have been superb playing with Rio or Vidic. Yet another PL great left to move on