Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City Want £10million '

Sun May 19, 2019 11:39 am

Report: West Ham need to pay £10m for Neil Etheridge

My Opinion, we have been down that road before and sold David Marshall for £5mill, really hope this is not true???

By John Blake

Sunday 19th May 2019

According to reports from, West Ham will need to pay in the region of £10m to sign Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge in the summer transfer window.

The 29-year-old enjoyed a superb 2018-19 campaign for the Bluebirds. He came behind Hammers stopper Lukasz Fabianski in terms of the number of saves made in the Premier League this season.

Recently, reported that West Ham are eager to sign the Cardiff City stopper following the Welsh side’s relegation into the Championship.

A spokesman for Cardiff City said offers would have to be over £10m to secure the services of Etheridge.

The Hammers are set to lose Adrian this summer, and are looking to sign a new goalkeeper. And the latest report suggests that they will have to pay a decent transfer fee to secure his services. However, Cardiff are not keen to let him go.

Etheridge has proven that he is Premier League quality and he could be a decent addition to the squad. However, doubts remain whether he will get enough opportunities should he move to the London Stadium in the summer.

Fabianski has arguably been West Ham’s best player over the past campaign and although he is 34 now, he still is good enough to be the first choice keeper at the club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Cardiff City Want £10million '

Sun May 19, 2019 12:05 pm

£10m with add on if transferred again seems about right

Sun May 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Not keen to let go,but will listen to offers over 10m lol,if clubs don’t want to lose players they simply say he’s not for sale

Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm

12 mill plus Adrian or no offer

Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Havnt they already come out and said they are not interested in him?

Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm

If Gary Madine is worth £6m, then Etheridge is worth £25m!

Why do we sign crap players for over the odds money yet always sell for low fees?

Sun May 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Very contradictory they say want a goalie temporary until youngster that have is ready and fabianski is no1? Why would etheridge go for 1 season to sit on bench? Seriously doubt he would go but no reason why city shouldn't sell at that price especially as we got decent back up who can fit in more than adequately :thumbup:

Sun May 19, 2019 1:17 pm

15mill and adrian i say aswell

Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm

I think Etheridge has done well this season but he is the most overrated player in our squad.

He is a good shot stopper but his all round game is average at best and I would snap their hands off if they offered £10mill

Sun May 19, 2019 2:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think Etheridge has done well this season but he is the most overrated player in our squad.

He is a good shot stopper but his all round game is average at best and I would snap their hands off if they offered £10mill

Agree.

The other day, someone on here (can't remember who) posted that it's another case of our fans exaggerating the quality of one of our players - that sums it up.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:18 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I think Etheridge has done well this season but he is the most overrated player in our squad.

Agree.

The other day, someone on here (can't remember who) posted that it's another case of our fans exaggerating the quality of one of our players - that sums it up.

You two need to get down to Specsavers as quick as you can.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:36 pm

It's all bollux, west ham have said they are not interested, they have a great goalkeeper who has at least two more years in him and they have a replacement already in place a young goalie who is being groomed to become first choice, who is supposed to be out of this world, so Etheridge is going to West ham to be third choice, I don't think so :thumbup:

Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm

mugsy wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Agree.

You two need to get down to Specsavers as quick as you can.

Really, I posted about this a few months ago.
The question was:

Name one other premier league goalkeeper this season you would choose Etheridge over as a #1 from Any team ?

Personally I couldn't think of any and would pick a fair few championship keepers over him aswell, that tells me his level.

Dont get me wrong I hope we keep him because in the championship he is good, frustrating with his distribution but is still a good championship keeper

Sun May 19, 2019 3:18 pm

I thought this was confirmed as a bullshit story a few days ago.

Paper talk. Probably picked up an rehashed from this forum.

Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:I thought this was confirmed as a bullshit story a few days ago.

Paper talk. Probably picked up an rehashed from this forum.

the first article was B/S...the others just put a twist on it..
find it strange because if a poster came up with 2 or 3 of these nonsense stories in a row pple would be taking the P.

yet these...inside football/ sports lens types get away with a dozen completely wrong stories everyday.

ill add WOL as most of their stories either come from these non sources or off here..

as for those mentioning Adrian, he is out of contract , is leaving and is the reason these roathalikes in basements are making shite up..

Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

The question is what keeper would we get for 10 million, somebody better than Ethridge
i am happy with him to stay with us, a young player a shot stopper is what you need, and imo he's in the90% bracket,
his distribution needs some work on but he has held his own the prem this season
And 10 mill is to cheap to a prem club like west ham imo.

Sun May 19, 2019 3:50 pm

'We won't sell any player.' say City and then with undue haste Etheridge is supposedly valued at only £10m. That fee chronically undervalues his value to us and in the transfer market. Furthermore his stats last season show how good a keeper he is. In today's inflated market £20m should be the starting point. The £10m fee is chicken feed for any PL club to pay.

StT.
<><

Sun May 19, 2019 3:52 pm

'We won't sell any player.' and then with undue haste a Etheridge is supposedly valued at only £10m. That fee chronically undervalues his value to us and in the transfer market. Furthermore his stats last season show how good a keeper he is. In today's inflated market £20m should be the starting point. The £10m fee is chicken feed for any PL club to pay.

StT.
<><

Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Kenbird1927 wrote:15mill and adrian i say aswell

Is that Adrian who is on 50k a week?

Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 pm

This is about the player as well. He is not on a great amount, is 30 next birthday and a London boy.

A 3 or even 4 year deal on genuine premier league 2nd string salary with no relegation clauses would turn a players head.

Fanianski is 34, Adrians contract is up and Etheridge came here as the supposed 2nd string and won the jersey, why wouldn't he think he could do that again.

A £10 mill profit with Smithies in the wings for a club preaching financial prudence appears OK to me.

We need to buy three decent top end championship or bottom half premier central midfielders, a centre half and wide forward. You need cash and a bit of luck to buy class, so it all helps.

Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:'We won't sell any player.' and then with undue haste a Etheridge is supposedly valued at only £10m. That fee chronically undervalues his value to us and in the transfer market. Furthermore his stats last season show how good a keeper he is. In today's inflated market £20m should be the starting point. The £10m fee is chicken feed for any PL club to pay.

StT.
<><

City haven’t put any value on him where have they said that?

Your not believing a newspaper are you??

Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 pm

i would put a £15 to £20 million price tag on Etheridge

Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:i would put a £15 to £20 million price tag on Etheridge

I think £15 is a bit low, Sam...and £20m is a bit ambitious ;) :laughing6:

The feeling is still that Neil Etheridge will go nowhere this summer (other than his holidays) and West Ham wouldn't meet Cardiff's valuation anyway :thumbright:

Sun May 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Pointless madeup article. West Ham confirmed there is no interest.

Story trying to drum up interest.

Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:'We won't sell any player.' and then with undue haste a Etheridge is supposedly valued at only £10m. That fee chronically undervalues his value to us and in the transfer market. Furthermore his stats last season show how good a keeper he is. In today's inflated market £20m should be the starting point. The £10m fee is chicken feed for any PL club to pay.

StT.
<><

City haven’t put any value on him where have they said that?

Your not believing a newspaper are you??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
yes they are....it wasnt even initially a newspaper....sportslens who have a batphone direct to Tans yacht..

Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 am

Name the Spokesman!!! Hate these journalists who say " a spokesman or a source close to the club " name them so they can be sacked.

Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 am

If we can get 10m i would sell him, we have Smithies who is capable in the championship.

What would you rather next season Etheridge in goal and smithies on the bench

Or smithies in goal (and Murphy as number 2) and a new 10m midfielder?

No brainer for me.

Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 am

2blue2handle wrote:If we can get 10m i would sell him, we have Smithies who is capable in the championship.

No brainer for me.

easy..Etheridge in goal and Smithies sold..
have never understood people saying...if we could get x amount we should sell...any player that is good enough to play regular is worth their weight in gold as every transfer is a gamble and at least half do not work out for various reasons .

here is a list of our last 26 signings...now if Warnock was picking a team to play Tonight how many of these wouldn't be in it ? so sell someone that does get in and gamble for maybe someone that does not …

etheridge
murphy
reid
Cunningham
bacuna
smithies
camp
tomlin
laing
Patterson
madine
damour
brian murphy
ward
bogle
immers
gouningbe
zohore
Richards
huws
bennet
lambert
hoilet
bamba
miete
halford

Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 am

We need to keep him, but any goalkeeper who can start in the premiership for you next week is worth 20/30 million.
If that seems high, try and buy one.

Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 am

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:If we can get 10m i would sell him, we have Smithies who is capable in the championship.

No brainer for me.

easy..Etheridge in goal and Smithies sold..
have never understood people saying...if we could get x amount we should sell...any player that is good enough to play regular is worth their weight in gold as every transfer is a gamble and at least half do not work out for various reasons .

here is a list of our last 26 signings...now if Warnock was picking a team to play Tonight how many of these wouldn't be in it ? so sell someone that does get in and gamble for maybe someone that does not …

etheridge
murphy
reid
Cunningham
bacuna
smithies
camp
tomlin
laing
Patterson
madine
damour
brian murphy
ward
bogle
immers
gouningbe
zohore
Richards
huws
bennet
lambert
hoilet
bamba
miete
halford

That's fine but even if we got our money back on smithies that's 3.5m to bring in a midfielder. Doesn't work as well got me.

We had this years ago with Marshall and eventually we sold him for a lot less than what was being reported after relegation.

Imo Etheridge value is at his highest, even if he had a good season got us next season will his value go even high? Doubt it.

I think 10m would be great business.