Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I thought last nights programme made Cardiff City look bad,

Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 am

I thought last nights programme made Cardiff City look bad, OPINIONS?

Emiliano's Sala's home town, his family, the French people in Nantes, the media in France etc all believe Cardiff City should pay,including many Cardiff fans.

Its already been agreed that its not £15mill anymore as the agent has stated he won't take his £1,5mill, plus the other agents amount to another £1.5mill, that makes it £12mill over 3 years.

Our court cases on two fronts will run in to £millions, but the name cardiff City will be dragged badly through the mud.

It was stated last night once again, everything was completed at 5:30pm on the night Sala died and Sala was officially a Cardiff player.

Nantes FC state they have the registered certificate of Emiliano Sala being a Cardiff City player.

Neil Warnock & Cardiff City on numerous occasions have stated Emiliano Sala is a Cardiff City player.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: I thought last nights programme made Cardiff City look b

Tue May 21, 2019 6:07 am

'Emiliano Sala was abandoned like a dog': The devastating words of Cardiff City signing's father before his own death

By John Doel

MONDAY 20 MAY 2019

Emiliano Sala's late father claimed the footballer was 'abandoned like a dog' ahead of the doomed flight that led to his death.

Speaking before his death last month, Horacio Sala told a BBC TV programme, which airs tonight, all parties involved in the transfer - including clubs and agents - should have made more effort to look after the welfare of his son.

Sala, 28 , had just signed from French side Nantes when he disappeared with the pilot of the Piper Malibu private plane when it crashed in the English Channel north of Guernsey on January 21.

His body was recovered on February 6 following an extensive search but pilot David Ibbotson, 59, of Crowle, Lincolnshire, has not been located.

Horacio Sala, who died in April , told the programme: "I always expected to find him alive, but when the news said the plane was in the sea, it became impossible.

"Why was it so hard for them to find something safe? Why couldn't they?

"They left him alone, they left him alone like a dog. They abandoned him."

His mother, Mercedes Taffarel, added: "It still hurts so much.

"I think he's going to call me on the phone, but no. It's terrible, a pain that I can't explain."

Friends and family pay respects to Emiliano Sala at funeral
The family want someone to be held accountable for the death, the BBC reported.

Martin Molteni, a close friend of Sala's at school, told the BBC: "It was a really big thing for us that our friend, someone who lived with us, who played football with us, who went to school with us, went to play at a big club in France.

"Clearly there was carelessness, clearly there was negligence. Whose? Justice will determine it," he added.

"That person has to pay."

A Cardiff City statement said: "This season has been one of abject tragedy for everyone who knew Emiliano Sala. In this unprecedented situation, Cardiff City conducted a review to establish the facts. The status of the agreement between the two clubs is clear: the transfer between FC Nantes and Cardiff City was not completed. Legally, there is no grey area.

"The transfer agreement was subject to terms and conditions and stipulated that if any were not satisfied the contract would be deemed "null and void''. Several of the required terms and conditions were not satisfied. In addition, material negotiations were ongoing with Emiliano's agent.

"We were very excited about Emiliano preparing to join Cardiff. Tragically, his life was cut short before that could take place.

"Cardiff City has been working with the appropriate parties to ensure that the Sala family is taken care of - as a matter of principle. And we would encourage others involved to do the same."

FC Nantes said: "FC Nantes understands perfectly the pain of Emiliano Sala's family and the misunderstandings that may result.

"The club, like all of its players, was committed to supporting Emiliano Sala from his signing in Nantes in 2015 until his signing with Cardiff."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

The status of the agreement between the two clubs is clear: the transfer between FC Nantes and Cardiff City was not completed. Legally, there is no grey area.

If the contract wasnt completed then there is nothing to pay, we owe Nantes or the agents involved nothing if the contract wasnt signed or there was a problem with the paperwork, whether that makes us look bad is a matter for of opinion but I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. Cardiff City have, it seems, looked after Sala's family which is the right thing to do in the circumstances, I wonder if any agents involved or Nantes have contributed anything to the Sala family?

Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

I don't think anyone is going to come out of this looking good. A footballer has lost his life and a mother has lost both her son and husband.

What surprised me the most was the amount of time allocated to the program. 30 Minutes!

For me it was an extremely poor piece of Journalism. It just needed more padding - and perhaps should have been made in a years time when the full facts are known.

Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I don't think anyone is going to come out of this looking good. A footballer has lost his life and a mother has lost both her son and husband.

What surprised me the most was the amount of time allocated to the program. 30 Minutes!

For me it was an extremely poor piece of Journalism. It just needed more padding - and perhaps should have been made in a years time when the full facts are known.

My thoughts exactly

A programme going over what's all ready out there.

Hardly an investigation and pulled in a few quid for the BBC

Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 am

The programme was poor, basically told us nothing more than was already out there, it just gave an insight to the families pain.

Ref Cardiff city if the contract wasn't completed then I'm sorry we don't pay.

Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 am

Nothing new.

I certainly don't think we should be chucking money at Nantes as a gesture of good will.

Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 am

Did'nt bother watching it, because I would never expect to hear a balanced view of anything where the BBC are concerned. If it was put together by BBC Wales, I would imagine it made our club look bad, after all we are talking football and not their beloved rugby.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am

2blue2handle wrote:Nothing new.

I certainly don't think we should be chucking money at Nantes as a gesture of good will.

Spot on, we take legal advice and IF anything is owed we pay!

The programme was very poor, all of the information was known on here and way more within weeks, they didn't really investigate anything, just rehashed old news.

I was hoping they were going to throw more light on the pilot situation and the paperwork as to who was going to fly the plane, but I suppose everything will be fully investigated over the next year or five.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am

Yea if it was the egg it certainly would have been more balanced.
Quite difficult for Salas family at the moment which is totally understandable.
The journalist in France was poor in his assesment and also the presenter.
No discussion of insurance etc and the part they may be playing.
No mention of the incorrect documents presented at the airport.
I do hope when it is settled the club does look after his direct family and his local club though.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am

You could see the anger in Horacio (RIP) not so much in his mother, it was more hurt than anger. His sister is obviously angry as she wasn’t involved other than news footage of her at Cardiff.

What they failed to mention was that even though the case is being heard by FIFA Cardiff have never said they won’t pay. They want clarification on the contract etc first. The PL have to answer to FIFA as well as they refused the contract. As far as we were all concerned Sala signed and was unveiled as our player with the usual ‘subject to PL acceptance and International Clearance’.

McKay had to have his 2 minutes again, at least he’s stated public ally now that he doesn’t want the cash... I’m sorry but that’s blood money and he’s got blood on his hands, along with his boys who had a hand in the transfer. He picked the pilot, Henderson and Ibbertson, and his son pushed for Sala to get on the plane in the evening....

There are so many stones that have been left unturned, the AAIB investigation report will be an interesting read and, in my opinion, should lead to prosecutions.

I did feel parts of the report were loaded against Cardiff, but after this season nothing surprises me with the biased against us

Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 am

Was always going to be a waste of time! Its said nothing we already knew yes we know the pain of amelianos family, regarding his death club did nothing wrong we offered a flight it was declined what else could we do ? Having listened to experienced pilots the over whelming opinion is the flight should never have happened at night regardless of wether he was commercial trained or not! The blame lies squarely with whoever's arranged for the flight and a pilot not suitable for flying at night in those conditions? My one complaint of club is why didn't they say travel in morning especially as there was no urgency in him arriving in Cardiff with game 10 days away :old:

Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 am

RageJon wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:I don't think anyone is going to come out of this looking good. A footballer has lost his life and a mother has lost both her son and husband.

My thoughts exactly

A programme going over what's all ready out there.

Hardly an investigation and pulled in a few quid for the BBC

I agree. It was a meaningless programme that brought nothing new to those that have followed the story.

As licence holders we should be unhappy BBC spend our money on such a wasteful exercise. It would have cost them money not made them any

Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 am

All the shite that this unfortunate situation has dragged up I feel will hamper us in this summer's transfer market, the fact we may or may not be held accountable for our actions will make little difference to the way we will be perceived by other clubs/agents/ players.
If I was a player I would be a little wary of dealing with us, it will seem like we deal with transfers in a shabby way and don't always have the players best interest at heart, same with agents..is our name now shite amongst the agent fraternity? only time will tell :o

Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 am

Like many other posters, I thought the program was ill timed,,, but there again I wasn't expecting anything more from BBC Wales.

They couldnt wait untill the full facts of the air investigation were completed, or investigate the "other" so called agents & accociates involved in the transfer, let alone the Mackays legal involvement. We will have to wait for FIFA to complete their investigations in to this. I also recall that it was alleged that the Mafia was involved???

The one thing that does surprise me, is that this awfull matter has not (yet?) become a crinimal matter, involving both British & French authorities.

Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:All the shite that this unfortunate situation has dragged up I feel will hamper us in this summer's transfer market, the fact we may or may not be held accountable for our actions will make little difference to the way we will be perceived by other clubs/agents/ players.
If I was a player I would be a little wary of dealing with us, it will seem like we deal with transfers in a shabby way and don't always have the players best interest at heart, same with agents..is our name now shite amongst the agent fraternity? only time will tell :o

1. People see we have a happy tight squad that's appealing to new players.

2. McKay is hated amongst clubs and other agents, anything down to take down his power will be seen as good by many.

3. If you think a player having an opportunity to possibly more than double his salary in some situations will turn us down because of the Sala accident your living in cloud cuckoo land.

4. Nantes end of the deal is where the mistakes are....how do you perceive that as shabby by Cardiff city?

5. You say we don't have the players best interests? Sala had a player liason officer with him whenever dealing with Cardiff over here, we flew to Nantes 3 times to meet and deal with him, we offered him a commercial flight and he the player turned it down. What exactly could Cardiff have done??

Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am

I don't think last nights programme added anything new to this tragic story so in my opinion it was pretty much pointless. The French journalist making the claim the ITC was issued at 5.30pm on the evening is meaningless in my opinion because ES would ONLY become a Cardiff City player when his registration had been confirmed by the FA. Cardiff City also claim there were contractual matters which were not completed at the time of ES death, if this is true then it's a matter for the lawyers to sort out.

This I'm afraid will likely run for years before the matter is settled and there are any number of possible outcomes including possible criminal charges for those who arranged the flight.

As for our club looking bad I just don't see that.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:All the shite that this unfortunate situation has dragged up I feel will hamper us in this summer's transfer market, the fact we may or may not be held accountable for our actions will make little difference to the way we will be perceived by other clubs/agents/ players.

Give them the money and they will come, it's a one-off situation, I don't think any other club has had a player die before turning up for the first days training.

All our other signings and teams we signed them from have been happy with the contracts and what they get paid, they will understand.

Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Did'nt bother watching it, because I would never expect to hear a balanced view of anything where the BBC are concerned. If it was put together by BBC Wales, I would imagine it made our club look bad, after all we are talking football and not their beloved rugby.

Exactly why I didn't bother watching it.

Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 am

Surely it comes down to which club he legally belonged to at the time? If he was still legally a Nantes player, then they would have to claim on their insurance, likewise, he was legally our player, the our insurance would kick in. But nothing will happen until it is confirmed either way is what I think. Like has been said, the BBC said nothing we didn't already know.

Tue May 21, 2019 10:57 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

2. McKay is hated amongst clubs and other agents, anything down to take down his power will be seen as good by many.

3. If you think a player having an opportunity to possibly more than double his salary in some situations will turn us down because of the Sala accident your living in cloud cuckoo land.

4. Nantes end of the deal is where the mistakes are....how do you perceive that as shabby by Cardiff city?

5. You say we don't have the players best interests? Sala had a player liason officer with him whenever dealing with Cardiff over here, we flew to Nantes 3 times to meet and deal with him, we offered him a commercial flight and he the player turned it down. What exactly could Cardiff have done??

I agree. I don't think this saga will have any effect whatsoever on the transfer front. It's all about money. If Cardiff meet the demands of a particular player and his agent, he will play for us. Cardiff appear to have done very little, if anything at all, wrong at the moment. This is a one off, probably never happened before and almost certainly will never happen again. Football players are interested in playing football, not what goes on in the background or the legal aspects of the actual day to day running of a club. The club will pay the players well to do their job, and will pay their legal representatives well to do theirs. The fans will not stop attending because of this, and the players will do what they always do, follow the money and preferably play for a club with ambition.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

It's how I see us being perceived by any club/player that we may want to do business with, if I supported another club this business would seem bad if I'd seen the report and read some of the media reports.
For instance if ourselves and say the 'wurzels' were both chasing the same player and both offering identical terms and conditions I feel that this terrible accident and the following accusations about our handling of the "he's our player/ he's not our player" scenario would push the selling party and player towards choosing the 'wurzels' so as to avoid any misunderstandings about whether he's ours or not ours.
Like I said time will tell..I hope I'm wrong for all concerned at CCFC.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

It's how I see us being perceived by any club/player that we may want to do business with, if I supported another club this business would seem bad if I'd seen the report and read some of the media reports.
For instance if ourselves and say the 'wurzels' were both chasing the same player and both offering identical terms and conditions I feel that this terrible accident and the following accusations about our handling of the "he's our player/ he's not our player" scenario would push the selling party and player towards choosing the 'wurzels' so as to avoid any misunderstandings about whether he's ours or not ours.
Like I said time will tell..I hope I'm wrong for all concerned at CCFC.

I really cant see that happening. The Sala incident was a one off incident probably never to be repeated, I doubt it will even enter their minds. The player will most likely go to the club he thinks he has the best chance of progressing himself. I wouldn't give players to much credit for thinking.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am

I also didn't waste my time watching this program as there is nothing new to here about the accident and only news that we already no. I get more information from you guys on here than I would from the BBC tossers.
Sala was due to train with us the morning after his terrible accident which tells me he was a city player, just my opinion. Time will tell though.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

Agreed.

I'm really struggling to see why people are jumping to conclusions and commenting that it makes us look bad.

It's generally accepted that Nantes had been delaying parts of the process to ensure they had a replacement lined up. If the transfer hadn't been finalised they will have to accept responsibility for that, their insurers may even cover that loss.

If the courts/FIFA decide that the transfer had been completed then we will be liable and our insurers might even cover us.

Neither club's insurers (even if they are covered) would pay out this sort of money without a formal finding on whether the transfer was completed or not.

It is hugely sad and regrettable that a young person has died at the highpoint of his career but unfortunately the money involved means that this has to be poured over with a fine tooth comb.

There has to be a formal finding over whether the transfer was completed or not before either club can make any progress over who should be liable.

The program last night did nothing to advance the case as to whether the transfer as completed or not and therefore was pretty pointless.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

Agreed.

I'm really struggling to see why people are jumping to conclusions and commenting that it makes us look bad.

It's generally accepted that Nantes had been delaying parts of the process to ensure they had a replacement lined up. If the transfer hadn't been finalised they will have to accept responsibility for that, their insurers may even cover that loss.

If the courts/FIFA decide that the transfer had been completed then we will be liable and our insurers might even cover us.

Neither club's insurers (even if they are covered) would pay out this sort of money without a formal finding on whether the transfer was completed or not.

It is hugely sad and regrettable that a young person has died at the highpoint of his career but unfortunately the money involved means that this has to be poured over with a fine tooth comb.

There has to be a formal finding over whether the transfer was completed or not before either club can make any progress over who should be liable.

The program last night did nothing to advance the case as to whether the transfer as completed or not and therefore was pretty pointless.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am

it was probably more interesting for those who are not Cardiff fans. for us there was nothing new...im not sure a program made in one years time will be any better/ informative either other than maybe the transfer money will be sorted .

Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm

The club and its supporters did everything possible and more or the family. I'm certain that we'd do more if called on and I'd like to see an ongoing connection - scholarships and support for that local football team for example.

Paying Nantes £15million or whatever it is when we might not be contracted to is another matter. That's for the lawyers and the courts to sort out and it doesn't help Emilliano or his family one way ir another.

Actually, a good bit of PR would be to say that if we don't have to pay Nantes in the end we'll give his family £1m and some big figure to the local football club which was featured .

A panorama presenter commented to me privately last night that the programme in question was very badly made , which was why they showed one about salmon farming on every other regional BBC 2 in the uk. I agree with his comment that this was great materiel for a show which would have been of nationwide interest if they hadn't fucked it up.

Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

It was only the family and friends of Sala that made Cardiff look bad.

In the interests of balance the programme should have sought Cardiffs views in response to the familys comments but they didn't. The familys take is based entirely on what Emiliano told them ie that he had signed for Cardiff, so their animosity towards us is centred around that, without knowing the full story. I don't remember the family being asked to comment about the flight arrangements at all.

Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Regarding insurance .
Here's an example how they will do anything not to pay.

About 20 years ago I had a video camera stolen while on holiday in Spain.
I contacted my travel insurance , they said it comes under my house insurance?

I contacted my house insurance , they said it's down to my travel insurance.
Finally after a lot of hassle my house insurance said they would cover it.

They wanted a receipt , I said I will get one as it belonged to my brother and he had the receipt.

They then said in that case it's nothing to do with us , tell your brother to claim on his insurance.

In the end no insurance company paid and I ended up buying a new camera for my brother.

Sorry about that long winded example,it was only a £400 camera not a £15 million player.

So I don't blame Cardiff City not paying until everything is legally finalised .

Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying.