Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dwight Gayle 24 goals but won't be signing

Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am

WEST BROM RULE OUT PERMANENT GAYLE DEAL

21/05/19

West Brom have confirmed they will not be signing Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle on a permanent deal.

Gayle scored 24 goals for the Baggies this season while on a loan swap deal with Salomon Rondon.

But having failed in their bid to return to the Premier League after losing to Aston Villa on penalties in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs, West Brom technical director Luke Dowling has said Albion are not in a position to keep the 29-year-old at The Hawthorns.

"No-one would like to keep Dwight more than myself," said Dowling. "We can all recognise what he gives us on the pitch and the way he conducts himself off the pitch in the local area - he's brought his family down from Newcastle for the year, he's bought into everything we want to do.

"Financially, we were prepared to pay the money for Dwight's contract for this season. It hasn't worked out [after they failed to win promotion]. Dwight's contract is a Premier League contract and we will pay Premier League contracts, but we'll only do that once we're back in the Premier League.

"I know it won't be the news Albion fans want to hear, but they need to trust us and know we're doing everything right for this club. We don't want to keep players on big contracts and have to lay the general staff off and make people redundant. We want to keep everyone here because we've got good people behind the scenes."

Re: Dwight Gayle 24 goals but won't be signing

Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 am

Good news for us as they would be one of the sides to challenge at the top next season.

Tue May 21, 2019 12:55 pm

I suspect he will be back in the championship next season. Unlikley Newcastle will want him and someone like 'boro will pay his massive wages.

Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 pm

My mate bumped into Neil last night in Tesco Culverhouse Cross, and was told one of our main targets is Dwight Gayle and we will agree to pay his £50k per week wages, he's also got interest from Bournemouth, Leeds and Stoke but we are interested and will be holding talks with the Gayle family to ensure what we offer is right, one of the negotiations is that we allow him some land to bring his prize pet goat to graze on the S Wales hills

Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Wolfpac wrote:My mate bumped into Neil last night in Tesco Culverhouse Cross, and was told one of our main targets is Dwight Gayle and we will agree to pay his £50k per week wages, he's also got interest from Bournemouth, Leeds and Stoke but we are interested and will be holding talks with the Gayle family to ensure what we offer is right, one of the negotiations is that we allow him some land to bring his prize pet goat to graze on the S Wales hills

Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone of this calibre or better, I've always said after last season Warnock will throw the boat out to get at least three decent Striker next season!

If we'd had him last season we would have stayed up!

Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

At the age of 30 not sure id want him permanently with those wages but id defo take him on loan and pay his full wages for a season as he's the closest thing to guaranteeing you 20+ goals a season in the championship as you can get. Watching him against Aston Villa I was actually surprised by how good his hold up play and link play was with players around him.

Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:At the age of 30 not sure id want him permanently with those wages but id defo take him on loan and pay his full wages for a season as he's the closest thing to guaranteeing you 20+ goals a season in the championship as you can get. Watching him against Aston Villa I was actually surprised by how good his hold up play and link play was with players around him.

Didn't realise he was 30, a no from me on a perm deal. A loan would be ideal tho.

Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:At the age of 30 not sure id want him permanently with those wages but id defo take him on loan and pay his full wages for a season as he's the closest thing to guaranteeing you 20+ goals a season in the championship as you can get. Watching him against Aston Villa I was actually surprised by how good his hold up play and link play was with players around him.

Didn't realise he was 30, a no from me on a perm deal. A loan would be ideal tho.

He is 28 will be 29 in October

Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

Igovernor wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

He's 29 now and will be 30 in October when I searched him. Born 17th October 1989.

Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 am

Never like Gayle, although he does seem to have a 'hoodoo' over us when he plays! :(

Not surprised WBA are bombing him out; he effectively cost them promotion with his sending off! ;)

Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

He's 29 now and will be 30 in October when I searched him. Born 17th October 1989.

Ok! this is one of the many sites that say he is 28, wikipedia it seems is the odd one out!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dwight- ... ler/196522

Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Ok! this is one of the many sites that say he is 28, wikipedia it seems is the odd one out!

My apologies if im wrong, was just going on his wiki age tbh. Be interesting to know what his wages are at Newcastle

Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 pm

He's 28. Born in 1990

Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

My apologies if im wrong, was just going on his wiki age tbh. Be interesting to know what his wages are at Newcastle

Reported on some sites that his wages are £40k or £50k depends where you look :laughing6:

Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Reported on some sites that his wages are £40k or £50k depends where you look :laughing6:

:lol: :laughing6: