Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

emiliano - fair play

Tue May 21, 2019 4:54 pm

I have been able to relate to the ownership of the club by Vincent Tan because he appears to have attempted to run the club on sound business principles. In the real business world the rebranding failure of the blue to red debacle would have resulted in the decimation of his marketing department who failed to tell him or advise him the terrible danger he and the club were in moving for blue to red!
However the Emiliano Sala tragedy is different.
Imagine the flight went well, Emiliano entered his first training session and BAM!!! his leg gets broken in several places and the medics say his playing days are sadly at an end..............would we be seriously asking our insurers to declare that he really wasn't a CCFC in the first place!
Come on our board do the right thing........he was our player, we owe the money, if we were deprived of his services because third parties are liable/responsinble, chase the bastards through the courts Vincent and make them pay, but let us hold our heads up high as CCFC supporters and lets not slip back into the ducking and diving days of the Riddler! We are so much better that that now.

Re: emiliano - fair play

Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Bluegunner wrote:I have been able to relate to the ownership of the club by Vincent Tan because he appears to have attempted to run the club on sound business principles. In the real business world the rebranding failure of the blue to red debacle would have resulted in the decimation of his marketing department who failed to tell him or advise him the terrible danger he and the club were in moving for blue to red!
Imagine the flight went well, Emiliano entered his first training session and BAM!!! his leg gets broken in several places and the medics say his playing days are sadly at an end..............would we be seriously asking our insurers to declare that he really wasn't a CCFC in the first place!
Come on our board do the right thing........he was our player, we owe the money, if we were deprived of his services because third parties are liable/responsinble, chase the bastards through the courts Vincent and make them pay, but let us hold our heads up high as CCFC supporters and lets not slip back into the ducking and diving days of the Riddler! We are so much better that that now.

He did'nt break his leg though, he never actually had a training session with us did he? If he was our player, the board will have to do the right thing. They will have no choice. If he was'nt our player because Nantes were trying to delay things in order to get a replacement which has resulted in the transfer not being complete, why on earth would the club pay? It was a long drawn out affair which seemed to be in the balance almost until the last minute. None of us have an insight as to what has gone on in the background, and none of us know the legal position, so why guess and assume we should just part with £15m because it will make us look good for a day, before everyone then completely forgets about it and gets on with their lives.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Bluegunner wrote:I have been able to relate to the ownership of the club by Vincent Tan because he appears to have attempted to run the club on sound business principles. In the real business world the rebranding failure of the blue to red debacle would have resulted in the decimation of his marketing department who failed to tell him or advise him the terrible danger he and the club were in moving for blue to red!

So you would pay the many millions of pounds then fifa says he wasn't our player! what you going to do ask politely for it back or are you going to spend several millions in the courts And perhaps couple of years in doing so? :clap:

Tue May 21, 2019 5:13 pm

I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land sorry.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

So you would pay the many millions of pounds then fifa says he wasn't our player! what you going to do ask politely for it back or are you going to spend several millions in the courts And perhaps couple of years in doing so? :clap:

Have to wonder why a so called City fan would join the forum and immediately criticise the club about the re-brand and the Sala tragedy, both of which have been done to death over a long period of time. Makes you think this is not the first time he has been on this forum.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Holier than thou when its not your money.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Have to wonder why a so called City fan would join the forum and immediately criticise the club about the re-brand and the Sala tragedy, both of which have been done to death over a long period of time. Makes you think this is not the first time he has been on this forum.

Noooo surely not Steve.Just someone genuinely concerned about the morality of the people who run our club,so much so,that he felt he had to join up and put matters right. :lol:

Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I have taken on board the 6 replies so far, they are considered and reasonable, however under the agreed payment schedule we were obligated to pay an initial instalment of c£5m not he whole £15m. For obvious reasons that player would be unable to fulfil his part of the agreement in any way and therefore would be in default.
So my final response is I was not suggesting we paid £15m walked away and wrote it off to experience but said to everyone what a nice bunch of people we are!!!!
Well done the responder who realised I was a long term poster and 50 year city supporter. I have not attempted to deceive anyone but my long term access didn't work for some reason so had to re register.

So enough is enough, I only have the Bluebirds success and reputation at the heart of my posts.

thank you for taking the time to read my post even if you totally disagree.
\

Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Here's a couple of questions that politely request an honest answer...

Have you ever refused or reneged on a payment or deal because you felt you didn't receive the goods, they weren't up to standard or the contact wasn't completed, so therefore legally non-binding?

Many people/businesses have, so why should Cardiff City be any different?

Would you readily give away an equitable amount of your personal money when it may not be your actual debt?

The sum involved is no small amount but then again I guess it's okay, so long as it's someone else's?

Tue May 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Sven....... Its such a good point you make and of course there have been times when I have not paid up because the contract has been fulfilled.

One of the great things about this site is that it gives you the opportunity to test your beliefs against others who feel equally as passionate about the club. So I have posted, listened . reflected and respected the views of others and believe that I may have been naive in my initial post.

Tue May 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Smacks of roathy or similar posters who think they are better than us simple mortals ... :old:

Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Just because I've got a brain doesn't mean I can't express an opinion.
So Pembrooke Allan, listen, learn and stop being sucj=h a fuc***ng arsewipe!!!

Tue May 21, 2019 8:24 pm

:lol:

Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Bluegunner wrote:Just because I've got a brain doesn't mean I can't express an opinion.
So Pembrooke Allan, listen, learn and stop being sucj=h a fuc***ng arsewipe!!!

5 posts in,and you are abusing a fellow fan :roll: great start (not)and there are only 2 * needed not 3 :laughing5: now breathe,and start again :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Bluegunner wrote:I have taken on board the 6 replies so far, they are considered and reasonable, however under the agreed payment schedule we were obligated to pay an initial instalment of c£5m not he whole £15m. For obvious reasons that player would be unable to fulfil his part of the agreement in any way and therefore would be in default.
So my final response is I was not suggesting we paid £15m walked away and wrote it off to experience but said to everyone what a nice bunch of people we are!!!!
Well done the responder who realised I was a long term poster and 50 year city supporter. I have not attempted to deceive anyone but my long term access didn't work for some reason so had to re register.

So enough is enough, I only have the Bluebirds success and reputation at the heart of my posts.

thank you for taking the time to read my post even if you totally disagree.
\

OK I'll buy that. so as a forum regular what name do you normally post under as I'm sure the guy's on here can sort your log-on problems out.

Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

He did'nt break his leg though, he never actually had a training session with us did he? If he was our player, the board will have to do the right thing. They will have no choice. If he was'nt our player because Nantes were trying to delay things in order to get a replacement which has resulted in the transfer not being complete, why on earth would the club pay? It was a long drawn out affair which seemed to be in the balance almost until the last minute. None of us have an insight as to what has gone on in the background, and none of us know the legal position, so why guess and assume we should just part with £15m because it will make us look good for a day, before everyone then completely forgets about it and gets on with their lives.

:thumbup: Spot on.

Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 am

I cant be bothered to get into this debate other than to say - he only becomes our player once there is a valid contract signed / agreed by the parties involved. If that contract is not valid and not in place then no contract of employment exists.

Further more the actions of the agent / agent fixers will come into play. There are things which McKay has done that appear to in breach of certain restrictions.

best leave it to the lawyers to sort out rather than wannabe detectives on messageboards (like me)

Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am

It's in the hands of FIFA , also the English FA the French FA and the Welsh FA .
Cardiff and Nantes lawyers.
Once a satisfactory outcome as been achieved and everybody agrees who owes who what , or doesn't owe.
Then it will be sorted.
But it's going to be a long dragged out case.
As long as the agents involved don't get a penny , and Emiliano Sala's family get something at the end of all this .

Wed May 22, 2019 9:59 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Yep, pay the money.

In this scenario it's about integrity and the attitude of the club to the outside world.

Any issue with the contract would have been sorted out within 48 hours of Sala arriving. It's not as if Cardiff City would have cancelled the whole deal because the paperwork was wrong.

Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 am

Sven wrote:

Have you ever refused or reneged on a payment or deal because you felt you didn't receive the goods, they weren't up to standard or the contact wasn't completed, so therefore legally non-binding?

Would you readily give away an equitable amount of your personal money when it may not be your actual debt?

The sum involved is no small amount but then again I guess it's okay, so long as it's someone else's?

Quite right. We can't afford £15m for a grand gesture to show how generous and nice we are when that'd pay for a top class player or two very decent ones this season .
The money wouldn't be going to the players family or represent some vague tribute to his memory, it'd be going to an already wealthy Polish businessman who owns Nantes and he's not making any generous gestures because of the surrounding circumstances.

Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 am

Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yep, pay the money.

In this scenario it's about integrity and the attitude of the club to the outside world.

Any issue with the contract would have been sorted out within 48 hours of Sala arriving. It's not as if Cardiff City would have cancelled the whole deal because the paperwork was wrong.

agree
have to say these completely ill thought out constant comparisons to goods and how their shadey dealer mates operate in what they consider business does my head in .

Wed May 22, 2019 10:55 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

Quite right. We can't afford £15m for a grand gesture to show how generous and nice we are when that'd pay for a top class player or two very decent ones this season .
The money wouldn't be going to the players family or represent some vague tribute to his memory, it'd be going to an already wealthy Polish businessman who owns Nantes and he's not making any generous gestures because of the surrounding circumstances.

paying an agreed fee is not a grand gesture.
and not having a very high opinion of who owns Nantes really shouldn't be of issue..
and no Danny James mum wont be getting the 15 million transfer fee off Man Utd either..

Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yep, pay the money.

How do you know it would have been agreed within 48 hours? Cardiff City may not have had a choice if Sala would not agree to his signing on fee being split over his contract Cardiff could not have signed him as per FA Rules. If anything the transfer was in Sala hands more so than Cardiffs.

It wasn't a simple paperwork mistype it was something that had to be negotiated and agreed. Clearly it was important to Sala he had all his signing on fee upfront or he wouldn't have asked for it that way. For that to be changed could have made a big difference to him. It may not have but we cant be sure either way.

If I took a job and they said you get 20k a year plus 50k upfront as a joining fee then came back and said no actually its 20k upfront then 50k over 4 years I wouldn't just say Yes ok like a nodding dog, id negotiate and look at other options. I don't see why Sala would have been any different.

Wed May 22, 2019 2:02 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yep, pay the money.

How do you know it would have been agreed within 48 hours? Cardiff City may not have had a choice if Sala would not agree to his signing on fee being split over his contract Cardiff could not have signed him as per FA Rules. If anything the transfer was in Sala hands more so than Cardiffs.

It wasn't a simple paperwork mistype it was something that had to be negotiated and agreed. Clearly it was important to Sala he had all his signing on fee upfront or he wouldn't have asked for it that way. For that to be changed could have made a big difference to him. It may not have but we cant be sure either way.

If I took a job and they said you get 20k a year plus 50k upfront as a joining fee then came back and said no actually its 20k upfront then 50k over 4 years I wouldn't just say Yes ok like a nodding dog, id negotiate and look at other options. I don't see why Sala would have been any different.

no it wasn't a mistype it was being unable to fill in a standard form and know your leagues rules..
the mistakes were ours. and im sure if youd made a similar mistake you feel an obligation as most would..

Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes the club made a mistake in thinking they could do something they couldn't and were hoping to make it right between them and the player but didn't get that chance.

I don't see hope us now giving Nantes 15m not owed to them helps the situation other than to line Nantes pockets who it seems had clauses of their own which they wanted put in and didnt comply with.

Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Yes the club made a mistake in thinking they could do something they couldn't and were hoping to make it right between them and the player but didn't get that chance.

I don't see hope us now giving Nantes 15m not owed to them helps the situation other than to line Nantes pockets who it seems had clauses of their own which they wanted put in and didnt comply with.

im not sure about the lining pockets ..we wouldn't see it like that if this were the other way around thats for sure..no player and no compensation either ...
keeps being said its a lot of money..or it 15 mill...seems to me that most would be quite happy to cough up if it were a smaller amount...

Wed May 22, 2019 5:47 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Yes the club made a mistake in thinking they could do something they couldn't and were hoping to make it right between them and the player but didn't get that chance.

im not sure about the lining pockets ..we wouldn't see it like that if this were the other way around thats for sure..no player and no compensation either ...
keeps being said its a lot of money..or it 15 mill...seems to me that most would be quite happy to cough up if it were a smaller amount...

Isn't their chairman supposed to be taking a huge slice of the fee. If the signing wasn't complete they should have insurance not that I see any insurance for anyone paying out for a long time with this dodgy flight paid for by the agent employees by Nantes.

Wed May 22, 2019 6:00 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Isn't their chairman supposed to be taking a huge slice of the fee. If the signing wasn't complete they should have insurance not that I see any insurance for anyone paying out for a long time with this dodgy flight paid for by the agent employees by Nantes.

Everything I hear about this is third hand, and I'm pretty sure just speculation. What I hear is that the delay in signing him, and therefore rushing through paperwork, came from the Nantes end. The flight was arranged by a representative of Nantes. The transfer paperwork was not complete. If this is true, I'm not sure why some fans think Cardiff should just pay out anyway, although I had'nt heard about their chairman being due a slice of the fee in addition to the previous points. All rumours, and I have no idea if any of them are true. If they are, it is perfectly reasonable to get everything clarified before handing over £15m. I doubt if any of us on this forum have all the facts.

Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Fully agree.
Or broken his leg falling down the steps getting off the plane.
The observation about Tans bad advice on rebrand is spot on too. Though somehow both Dalman and Choo remain in post. Also responsible for recruiting two, if not three, of our worst managerial appointments in OGS, Slade and Trollope.
Warnocks appointment has salvaged club from goodness knows what plight.
I'd love to know if he thinks the deal was concluded and if club should pay? That would be an opinion worth having and worthy of a bbc documentary!

Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 am

dogfound wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Sven wrote:

paying an agreed fee is not a grand gesture.
and not having a very high opinion of who owns Nantes really shouldn't be of issue.
and no Danny James mum wont be getting the 15 million transfer fee off Man Utd either..

Yeah it is a grand gesture is we don't owe it. It's a legal question as to when a contract does or doesn't become binding upon both parties and of course we must accept the decision when it's made. Paying up before that just because of the sad circumstances can't be anything else but a grand gesture.
Saying this, I'd probably do that myself, but you can't critisise the club for acting upon legal advice to protect funds which might not be due.