Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: emiliano - fair play

Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 am

Essentially he was either a City player if contract was complete, or if it wasn’t, then he was still a Nantes player. The Courts need to decide.

An idea to minimise the hard ship to the family, might be if both clubs agree to deposit the players money in a trust account / escrow.

Sala’s family could receive whatever monies they are owed when they are owed it.

If both Nantes and City deposited the same amount, and let courts decide, then whoever was found liable/the club that Sala belonged to at death, would lose their money, with the other club having their deposit money returned.

I know this is a hardship to the clubs to pay an’deposit’ for no reason, but it is a good gesture to help the family, and from a PR point of view it paints the clubs in a much better position. Afterall, most people only care about the families being in hardship after their loss.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 am

Taffrocker wrote:Essentially he was either a City player if contract was complete, or if it wasn’t, then he was still a Nantes player. The Courts need to decide.

An idea to minimise the hard ship to the family, might be if both clubs agree to deposit the players money in a trust account / escrow.

Sala’s family could receive whatever monies they are owed when they are owed it.

If both Nantes and City deposited the same amount, and let courts decide, then whoever was found liable/the club that Sala belonged to at death, would lose their money, with the other club having their deposit money returned.

I know this is a hardship to the clubs to pay an’deposit’ for no reason, but it is a good gesture to help the family, and from a PR point of view it paints the clubs in a much better position. Afterall, most people only care about the families being in hardship after their loss.

Not sure why the family should be suffering hardship. You would not ordinarily expect to be responsible for parents or siblings once you become an adult. However, it may be different where he comes from, and if so, he was plenty old enough to know the importance of life insurance. I made sure I had plenty of life cover when I was 23 and had started a family. Like most people, I was worth way more dead than alive, and my wife and children probably suffered more financial hardships because I stayed alive rather than died. I am sure he was earning more than enough to make adequate provisions in the event of some sort of tragedy.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Maybe the family suffering hardship is the wrong word. Suffering further distress by having to fight to have their sons / brothers contract honoured ?

Either way, both clubs could avoid any hardship or distress for the family by paying into a deposit / escrow scheme, without admitting any liability?