Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea to close its City centre store/Staff at Liberty Stad

Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Swansea City to close its City centre store, also staff at the club at the Liberty have been laid off from physio's , coaching staff, ticket office staff to academy staff, many haven now taken voluntary redundancy.

This week manager Graham Potter left to take over Brighton, whilst a number of star players have already agreed to leave, including Swansea City's winger Daniel James has signed for Manchester United this week.

Tuesday 21st May 2019

Swansea City's club shop in Union Street will close on May 25 2019

Swansea City have announced that its city centre club shop is to close its doors.

The outlet, situated in Union Street close to the Quadrant Shopping Centre, opened in October 2017.

Selling official merchandise and replica kits, it boasted state-of-the-art video screens and showed highlights of recent Swans games.

Despite initial success, the club have taken the decision to close the shop on Saturday (May 25) amid the backdrop of relegation from the Premier League.

Explaining the reasoning behind the move, the club revealed on their website: "While sales were strong in its initial year of trading, a combination of factors including relegation, a reduction in city centre footfall, an increase in online sales and an overall club restructuring has prompted the decision to close the store."

The Liberty Stadium store will remain open, and purchases can still be made via the club website.

Swansea's demotion to the Championship last summer and the subsequent loss of massive TV revenue saw a strict tightening of the belt in SA1, with cutbacks on and off the pitch conducted over the past 10 months.

In March the club distributed letters to employees warning them of possible job losses and asking for voluntary redundancy applications.

On the pitch, further sales are expected this summer, with Daniel James heavily linked with a £15million move to Manchester United as Swansea seek to fill the £30million hole in their finances.

At the Liberty Stadium more staff have been laid off from physios, coaching staff, ticket office staff to academy staff, many have already taken voluntary redundancy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Swansea to close its city centre store/Staff at Liberty

Tue May 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Annis, i can see these tramps going into administration AGAIN if so, i want my three pound back which i chucked into a bucket for the gypos in the early 80's at NP. :lol:

Tue May 21, 2019 5:21 pm

cityone wrote:Annis, i can see these tramps going into administration AGAIN if so, i want my three pound back which i chucked into a bucket for the gypos in the early 80's at NP. :lol:

Paul, there were some Welsh friends of mine over here on the weekend (Neath) and they knew many of the staff that have lost their jobs and they said the Jacks really are in disarray /chaos down there.

They are selling anyone they can.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
cityone wrote:Annis, i can see these tramps going into administration AGAIN if so, i want my three pound back which i chucked into a bucket for the gypos in the early 80's at NP. :lol:

Paul, there were some Welsh friends of mine over here on the weekend (Neath) and they knew many of the staff that have lost their jobs and they said the Jacks really are in disarray /chaos down there.

They are selling anyone they can.

My heart bleeds for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Swansea to close its City centre store/Staff at Liberty

Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Store takings massively down as they refuse to sell Liverpool and Manu kit to their loyal supporters. :lol:

Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Same here.Iput a few quid in the collection buckets to help them out.Never again,f**k em! :bluebird:

Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 pm

It's easy to laugh at the Jack's plight but the OP shows the serious side of what has happened to that club in the last couple of years; and sadly, it's the honest, hard working individuals that are suffering rather than the cash-rich, cash-grabbing asset strippers from the good old US of A or certain gobshite 'fans' who have likely now gone back to their 'egg'

And let's not forget two things here...

Firstly, our own beloved club found itself having to shed staff after our first relegation from the Bank of Premier League

Secondly, this more than puts into perspective the job that our owner, ably supported by our manager, is doing at our club

As people, my heart goes out to those losing jobs; and even Alan Curtis was effectively made redundant

But to the pathetic 'fans' (with one or two notable exceptions (Mike :thumbright: ) who so smugly infested this Forum for so long, I say it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people!

In the words of the famous terrace song: It's all gone quiet over there ..! :D

Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm

If I was a trader supplying goods to this club, I think I would be looking at cash on delivery. We know how they treated their creditors the last time this happened.

Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:If I was a trader supplying goods to this club, I think I would be looking at cash on delivery. We know how they treated their creditors the last time this happened.

There not going out of business don’t be silly. There doing exactly the same as all other clubs that get relegated do.

That’s including us the last time we went down.

Yes they are looking like they could be fucked for a while but there cutting costs so that they don’t go under not because there going under.

Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Leon Britton: Swansea appoint former midfielder as 'football advisor' to find them a new manager.

Tuesday 21st May 2019

Leon Britton has been appointed football advisor to the Swansea City board and will help choose the club's new manager.

Britton will be joined on what Swansea are calling a recruitment board by fellow club legend Alan Curtis.

Britton and Curtis will be consulted on transfers, with Swansea set to appoint a new head of recruitment.

Swansea are also searching for a new manager following Graham Potter's move to Brighton.

Chairman Trevor Birch says the club have already received "a significant number" of applications for what is a "great opportunity for an ambitious coach".

Britton had been touted as a candidate to take over from Potter, but the 35-year-old is to work alongside Birch, who he has known since a brief stint playing for Sheffield United nine years ago.

Curtis, 65, will also be involved despite being named club president having retired from coaching at the end of last season.

"We will take this opportunity to put in place, behind the scenes, an organisational structure that will bring stability and ensure continuity so that any future managerial changes will have the minimum impact," Birch said in a statement issued on Swansea's website.

"I will be looking to hire a new head of recruitment and build a robust scouting structure, which we don't have at present.

"I am going to enlist the help of professional recruiters to assist in finding the most suitable person for the position because it will play such a significant role in the future success of the club.

"I would like to think that it will be a quick process, but it may not be and will depend on the suitability of available candidates and their circumstances."

Birch said Britton and Curtis will assist him in when it comes to assessing applicants for the manager's job and will also be involved in the interview process.

Swansea are in the early stages of their manager search having failed to persuade Potter to stay.

Under-23s coach Cameron Toshack is one of a number of names who are to be considered, with the likes of Gus Poyet and Gary Rowett also thought to be interested.

Former Wales manager Chris Coleman is considered unlikely to be a candidate.

"Graham's departure was hugely disappointing but we now have to look forward to identifying a new manager who understands the club's beliefs and is hungry to work with our young talent," Birch added.

"Last season, seeing the young players, many of whom graduated from the academy, playing first-team football the Swansea Way, gave supporters great enjoyment and the new manager will have to buy into that philosophy."

Birch said he is "extremely hopeful" Swansea can agree a new deal with Wayne Routledge after a meeting on Monday.

The winger, 34, is out of contract next month, but Birch hopes he will stay on at the club next season.

Birch also confirmed more members of the squad will leave the Liberty Stadium after revealing but insisted there would be no "fire sale" of players.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:If I was a trader supplying goods to this club, I think I would be looking at cash on delivery. We know how they treated their creditors the last time this happened.

There not going out of business don’t be silly. There doing exactly the same as all other clubs that get relegated do.

Yes they are looking like they could be fucked for a while but there cutting costs so that they don’t go under not because there going under.

I know they are not going out of business. If they were I would not have been able to post on here. I would be rolling around on the floor pi**ing myself with laughter. ;)

Tue May 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:

its a bit more than what all clubs have to do..
12 players gone last summer plus a bunch more out on loan. but still looking at a 30 mill hole in the finances for this coming season.. fortunate really that their manager was in demand and DJ will fetch a big fee..

Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

most Cubs cost cut on relegation but this seems extreme if you look at other relegated clubs in the past! it's not as if they don't get few quid in payments it looks like yanks want to maximise the money they get while they can... :old:

Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Pay your staff with the 3 million you got from Brighton.

Or just keep it in your American bank accounts. Arseholes.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Wayne S wrote:Pay your staff with the 3 million you got from Brighton.

they need it to balance the books .. apparently their accounts show the Americans haven't taken any money out other than 800k in interest payments , fans will always blame owners though..we have some that think Tan is taking millions..

Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 pm

dogfound wrote:

they need it to balance the books .. apparently their accounts show the Americans haven't taken any money out other than 800k in interest payments , fans will always blame owners though..we have some that think Tan is taking millions..

Agree on both counts :clap: feel for the ordinary folk,losing employment in these times is hard.Shall we have a collection for them,at our 1st home game :?: I'll go around the ground with a thimble for it :thumbright: :laughing5: :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:

Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Agree on both counts :clap: feel for the ordinary folk,losing employment in these times is hard.Shall we have a collection for them,at our 1st home game :?: I'll go around the ground with a thimble for it :thumbright: :laughing5: :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:

I find it very difficult to have any sympathy for them as they been giving it the model club thing while in reality they were always sailing close to the wind .its all caught up with them and even after last summers fire sale they still have plenty of big earners about the place.. last season they had both ayews, Montero, carol and baston plus bony who I believe has now left out on loan...players they had paid a total of over 50 mill for with wages to match..

Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 pm

You would have thought that if they are getting £15 million for Dan James that should sort out any immediate problems.

Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Crayfish wrote:You would have thought that if they are getting £15 million for Dan James that should sort out any immediate problems.

the figure being quoted is 30 mill...I assume that shortfall is taking into account things like gate receipts, savings in players out of contract they will no longer have to pay etc. so even with the potter and dan james money they will still be looking to off load another 12 mill of players..

Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I think we should offer to help them out and buy McBurnie, especially if we can get him for 2-3m£. :D

Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

dogfound wrote:
Crayfish wrote:You would have thought that if they are getting £15 million for Dan James that should sort out any immediate problems.

the figure being quoted is 30 mill...I assume that shortfall is taking into account things like gate receipts, savings in players out of contract they will no longer have to pay etc. so even with the potter and dan james money they will still be looking to off load another 12 mill of players..

The sums don't add up. They sold £40m+ worth of players last summer and spent around £6m of it. £40m first year of parachute money on top of that, and they will have already been swimming in the cash. £18m now for James and Potter, and £30m parachute money - they should be boasting a £30m+ warchest not a £30m shortfall :lol: It's either fingers in the till, or they don't want other clubs to know how much they have

Tue May 21, 2019 11:52 pm

ffs wrote:
dogfound wrote:

The sums don't add up. They sold £40m+ worth of players last summer and spent around £6m of it. £40m first year of parachute money on top of that, and they will have already been swimming in the cash. £18m now for James and Potter, and £30m parachute money - they should be boasting a £30m+ warchest not a £30m shortfall :lol: It's either fingers in the till, or they don't want other clubs to know how much they have

yes in an ideal world :lol: if they recieved the 40 mill in a one off payment which clubs never do and did not have historic transfer fees / signing on fees { which are also spread across the term of contract even for players loaned out } to pay instalments off..

so its neither of the above its they are skint..

Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am

And so it begins

Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

dogfound wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

its a bit more than what all clubs have to do..
12 players gone last summer plus a bunch more out on loan. but still looking at a 30 mill hole in the finances for this coming season.. fortunate really that their manager was in demand and DJ will fetch a big fee..

There is a strong possibility they could do a Portsmouth or a Bolton if they get this next appointment wrong, fingers crossed they get a Trollope :thumbup:

Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 am

Light years ahead, the best run club in the World, model club, owned by the trust and the fans -- no sympathy :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 am

Light years ahead, the best run club in the World, model club, owned by the trust and the fans, whatever :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am

Bluebina wrote:

Light years ahead, the best run club in the World, model club, owned by the trust and the fans -- no sympathy :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

wont happen...spawniest bastards ever..sell pretty much their whole team bring in a manager from a small club in Sweden who they then make millions on and are forced to play people that couldn't get on Shrewsburys bench last season but turn out to be worth 15 million ..
they are in the shit but should be up to their eyes in it by now and are not .. :cry:

Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 am

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

wont happen...spawniest bastards ever..sell pretty much their whole team bring in a manager from a small club in Sweden who they then make millions on and are forced to play people that couldn't get on Shrewsburys bench last season but turn out to be worth 15 million ..
they are in the shit but should be up to their eyes in it by now and are not .. :cry:

They've had some luck, I'll give you that, but they are on the downward spiral, they could easily f**k this right up and if they get it wrong again they have had it. The jacks think it's going to be Toshack, if true he could easily do a Trollope!!!

Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 am

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

They've had some luck, I'll give you that, but they are on the downward spiral, they could easily f**k this right up and if they get it wrong again they have had it. The jacks think it's going to be Toshack, if true he could easily do a Trollope!!!

I was told Toshack a few days back but they've appointed Briton to sort a new manager so maybe its not as straight forward as many of them thought ?