Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Your first football love

Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am

Which player made you fall in love with football?

Or Cardiff?

Mine was Earnie. Him scoring the goals really made me pay attention to him and then Cardiff and the love for the Bluebirds was born :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: Your first football love

Thu May 23, 2019 10:06 am

Tosh, brian clarke and ian gibson, then when i first went down the city that was it.....i was hooked.

Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 am

Don Murray the no nonsense Scottish centre half, loved the way he played, not particularly skilful but a rock in our defence.

Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am

A few players stood out when I first started going down the City as a youngster but Phil Dwyer was my first City 'hero'

Great player, loyal and a nice man whenever you meet him; even back then when I remember excitedly stopping him with his wife in St Mary Street to ask for an autograph, which he readily gave

No 'selfies' back then! ;) :lol:

Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Josh Low was always my favourite player :lol:

Thu May 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Watching Toshack aged 7 then he moved. :roll:

Thu May 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Davies
Carver
Bell
Sutton
Murray
Harris
King
Gibson
Toshack
Clark and
Bird loved those boys :bluescarf:

Thu May 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Sven wrote:A few players stood out when I first started going down the City as a youngster but Phil Dwyer was my first City 'hero'

Great player, loyal and a nice man whenever you meet him; even back then when I remember excitedly stopping him with his wife in St Mary Street to ask for an autograph, which he readily gave

No 'selfies' back then! ;) :lol:

Yep similar for me. He was just starting the year after my old man took me to my first game and he was tough even as a youngster.

Met him a couple of times in different pubs after he'd finished and always had time for a chat and a laugh. Top bloke :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Thu May 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Toshack

Thu May 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Derek Brazil

Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 pm

salopiancity wrote:Watching Toshack aged 7 then he moved. :roll:

With you on that. I was a very little boy and saw him make his debut as a sub and score against Orient. It would have been about only the third game I had ever been to. He was my hero from then on. I was devastated when he left!

Thu May 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Carl Dale was my football hero. I can remember leaning over the tunnel as a 7 year old with my autograph book or programme. He would always sign and have quick chat. Top man

Also he scored goals for fun

Thu May 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Andy Legg Legg Legg

Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm

As a kid my first season ticket was 75/76 and I thought Tony Evans was brilliant. :bluescarf: :old:

Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 pm

since64 wrote:Davies
Carver
Bell
Sutton
Murray
Harris
King
Gibson
Toshack
Clark and

Couldn't argue, but it's interesting that this was the golden era and team for many many people even though not the most successful one.
Coincidentally I was thinking about them last night, contrasting them with the way some of our players were bumping into each other as they ran for the exit as soon as we got relegated. It seems to me that the group you've mentioned and Sir Jim had much more of a connection with the City and the fans and a club loyalty which doesn't seem to exist any more.
Maybe that's only in my mind, but the whole game seems much more mercenary these days.

Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
Carver
Bell
Sutton
Murray
Harris
King
Gibson
Toshack
Clark and

Couldn't argue, but it's interesting that this was the golden era and team for many many people even though not the most successful one.
Coincidentally I was thinking about them last night, contrasting them with the way some of our players were bumping into each other as they ran for the exit as soon as we got relegated. It seems to me that the group you've mentioned and Sir Jim had much more of a connection with the City and the fans and a club loyalty which doesn't seem to exist any more.
Maybe that's only in my mind, but the whole game seems much more mercenary these days.

summers were longer and sunnier as well jim...
we had a few decent seasons with some interesting European nights but as our form deserted us so did fans just like today..
the season afer the Madrid games we were down to a 15k average and down to 11k the year following that....think they were called bakelites back then though..

Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 am

Stant, Dale, Perry and Millar

Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 pm

pezza, Cohen Griffith, Andy legg, Phill Stant (that era of players) made me fall in love with cardiff, as for football, it was Mexico ‘82 World Cup in general

Sat May 25, 2019 12:45 am

Nigel Vaughn, , Les Sealy, and that Jersey with the Yellow and White down the left side. Later it was Stant, Fowler, Dale, Perry, Wimbledon, Griffith's, Blakey. Fond memories as a teenager at Ninian Park.

Sat May 25, 2019 11:19 am

Thought was about 1st female city supporter you loved? :laughing6:

But have no preference regarding city players scoulars teams in Europe were my favourite :thumbup:

Sat May 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Sat May 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Billy Ronson for me :notworthy:

Sat May 25, 2019 12:54 pm

Carver
Bell
Sutton
Murray
Harris
King
Gibson
Toshack
Clark and

Yes basically this lot, plus a few reserves like Bobby Ferguson, Graham Coldrick, Steve Derrett, Sandy Allan, Les Lea, Frank Sharp.

Prior to this, as a young lad, I watched Spurs on telly and my hero was Jimmy Greaves, but as soon as I went down NP that was it for me. The smell of stale beer, cigarettes and pasties just added to the atmosphere. I think my 5th game was against Arsenal in the FA Cup with 55,000 there. only 50 years ago!

Sat May 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Oh Willie, willie, willie, willie Anderson

Sat May 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Oh Willie, willie, willie, willie Anderson

Sat May 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Zico

Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Loads, but Dennis Bergkamp was the best of em. He was an artist..

Sat May 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Phil Dwyer for Cardiff

Stevie Highway at Liverpool

Last hero was Craig Bellamy ...magic on his day

Sun May 26, 2019 6:08 am

Leo Fortune West! Awkward, gangly but scored some good goals for us! Gentleman off the pitch too! Andy Legg too, I don't think I've seen a player tie everything to the cause like him!!!

Mon May 27, 2019 3:38 pm

joe mason or peter whitiningham