Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREXIT: THERESA MAY ADMITS DEFEAT AND SETS DEPARTURE DATE

Fri May 24, 2019 9:01 am

Theresa May has revealed her departure date in a tearful address this morning

Friday 24th May 2019

Theresa May has announced that she will stand down as Conservative leader on June 7

She made the announcement during a statement outside Downing Street.

It came after a Cabinet revolt over her Brexit plan.

It paves the way for a contest to decide the new Prime Minister.

A tearful Mrs May said: "I am proud of the progress we have made over the last three years."

The process to select a new Tory leader will begin in the week following Mrs May's resignation, she has announced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREXIT: THERESA MAY ADMITS DEFEAT AND SETS DEPARTURE DAT

Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

Theresa May to resign as prime minister
BBC News

Theresa May has said she will quit as Conservative leader on 7 June, paving the way for a contest to decide a new prime minister.

In an emotional statement in Downing Street, Mrs May said she had "done my best" to honour the 2016 EU referendum result.

It would remain a matter of "deep regret" that she had been unable to deliver Brexit, she added. But a new PM was "in the best interests of the country".

Mrs May said she will continue to serve as prime minister while a Conservative leadership contest takes place.

She will step down as Tory leader on 7 June and a leadership contest is due to begin the following week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:05 am

Worst PM in my lifetime, and that's saying something when you take Blair & Brown into consideration.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Worst PM in my lifetime, and that's saying something when you take Blair & Brown into consideration.

I am proud of the progress we have made over the last 3 years..?
I do not doubt she has worked hard. but progress ,there is none .
I agree with your worse PM...she got it wrong from the start and at no point seemed to consider she was getting it wrong.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:34 am

dogfound wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Worst PM in my lifetime, and that's saying something when you take Blair & Brown into consideration.

I agree with your worse PM...she got it wrong from the start and at no point seemed to consider she was getting it wrong.

We are making slow progress - I think. UK politics needs a good kick up the arse, and we are probably making a start.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:47 am

All political careers end in failure - as someone once said.

As it stands no one can deliver brexit. Anyone trying to deliver it wont succeed - if a PM goes for the customs union option - then conservatives will vote against it (as it doesnt deliver brexit) , if a PM goes all OUT brexit - nearly ALL MPs will vote against it and if a PM goes for the Barnier deal then Labour and the Conservatives will vote against it.

So the problem is not solvable given the current configuration of Parliament.

If nothing is agreed by 31st Oct - then the EU position will be that we will have left with no deal. BUT Parliament have stated that wont happen - and in such a case would then look to revoke Article 50, postpone it again or second referendum.

If any of those things happen - MPs will be held in contempt of democracy by the public - in my opinion.

Now on to Theresa May - in hindsight - holding that general election was the wrong thing to do - but understandable why she did it - to get a bigger majority. Once that back fired then the brexit writing was on the wall.

Worst PM in my lifetime ? - I dont think so - she didnt commit war crimes based on lies and send 100's of thousands of kids to their death in Iraq, not too mention the creation of ISIS as a consequence

She did not sell the gold at a rock bottom price and throw away billions and billions of pounds

And she did NOT leave the country with a crippling debt and deficit - which made trying to run an economy very difficult.

As of now - we have the lowest level of unemployment, the highest level of inward investment anywhere in the EU and growth forecast at 1.5%.

It will be interesting to see the result of the unofficial 2nd referendum last night. if we take the figures of the Lib Dems, the SNP, Plaid and then compare them against the Brexit party and UKIP - and see how they stack up.

If it's 50/50 ish again - then I dont know what to do (and neither does anyone else)

Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am

I think she did her best, just wasn't up to it.

Fri May 24, 2019 11:25 am

dogfound wrote:

I think the pair of you are a bit harsh. In my mind she made the strategic decision at almost every juncture but not even Thatcher would have got an agreement through this parliament. The difference is she would have pushed Corbyn off the fence and firmly placed him in with his remain party. She'd have gone for a GE 6 months ago on the ticket of the opposition obstructing the will of the people which is pretty much where we are.

Unfortunately there is no compromise position. Most people on both sides were in the trenches up to their knees 3 years ago. Now we're up to our necks. If we'd voted to stay in by a similar margin we'd have been in warts and all and that's how it should be having voted to leave.

Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 am

She is the Russell Slade of prime minister's.

ie fukin useless.

Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I was happy when she became PM, safe pair of hands in what was going to be a tricky situation. The problem was, we didn't really know her. I thought she'd be good, competent and not do anything daft, but it was a time for leadership and big visions not secrets and private cabals.

IMO the transition deal was fine, i would have voted for it. It was a compromise, no one gets everything in a deal. I think revoke or no deal are now closer than ever. One of the extremes will win and those who could have voted for her deal will be kicking themselves when they get the diametric opposite to what they wished for.

Sundays EU election results will kick the tories further to the right to counter Farage. It will also deliver a new EU president and commission. In what will be difficult times for the EU, getting brexit resolved will be very important. So the new PM may get this through a bit quicker and easier than the last.

I am not a tory, but i think she has held the position with dignity at all times. I wish her well.

Jesus wept looking at her potential replacements.

Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm

epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I think the pair of you are a bit harsh. In my mind she made the strategic decision at almost every juncture but not even Thatcher would have got an agreement through this parliament. The difference is she would have pushed Corbyn off the fence and firmly placed him in with his remain party. She'd have gone for a GE 6 months ago on the ticket of the opposition obstructing the will of the people which is pretty much where we are.

Unfortunately there is no compromise position. Most people on both sides were in the trenches up to their knees 3 years ago. Now we're up to our necks. If we'd voted to stay in by a similar margin we'd have been in warts and all and that's how it should be having voted to leave.

your 2nd paragraph ...no there is no compromise that would work within this parliament and people were polarised 3 years ago...correct.

i think it became very clear to most there was no deal that would get a majority ? yet our top politician seems to have missed it and just continued re arranging the furniture,darting back and fore to Europe while others shook their heads.

and this on top of making a real cawl of the general election against the weakest opposition there has been in at least half a century..and yes failing to get Corbyn to nail his flag to a mast..

Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 pm

She has been dogged by Brexit from the start. In fairness, she picked up a very poisoned chalice from PM Cameron.
That said, she made a lot of mistakes. These included going for an election and losing a big majority. Her campaign illustrated that she was unable to debate on the hoof and she needs to have set questions and set 'slogan' responses.

She tried to find a majority for a Brexit that would keep the Conservative party together. may needed to get cross party support at the outset but she left that until much too late.

Elements in her own party have been trying to bring her down for many months. Lots of them are now paying her compliments for her dignity and public service.- Hypocrites who could not wait to put themselves forward as a leader. The right wing Brexiteers will also be boosted by the Euro election results.
One hopes that her infamous slogan "no deal is better than a bad deal" - will not be put to the test. I have no doubt no deal would be disastrous for millions.
The new leader needs to bring people together. Difficult to see an outstanding candidate among the field of maybe 16 runners. :shock:

Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 pm

If you listen to her speech at one point she states that Sir Nicholas Winton the organiser of the kindertransport once told her: “Compromise is not a dirty word.”

I understand the context but I really don't think Theresa May does. You don't compromise for the sake of it and weaken your own position you compromise to get something back in return.

At an early stage she conceded £39billion to the EU with no guarantee of anything in return. She then allowed Parliament to vote away the option of no deal which was only possible because of her botched GE in 2017.

With a proper negotiation team who had the options of £39billion or walking away with no deal the EU would-not have had such a free run and frankly take the piss out of this country.

The only thing the EU has given us is this bollocks of a backstop in N Ireland :roll: which surprise surprise is better for them than us :lol:

The problem with Theresa May is she hasn't got any bollocks and I don't mean that in a sexist way ;)

Fri May 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Dahboy wrote:She is the Russell Slade of prime ministers

Good analogy old Russ liked his long ball game and TM couldn't half kick a can down the road......

Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 pm

I have to say that May is possibly the "most out of her/his depth Prime Minister" I can remember !!

In life I've always thought that knowing the limits of your own capabilities is key but she simply didn't recognise that she wasn't a good leader, she wasn't a good orator and she was a pretty disastrous strategist :roll: :lol:

I hated Thatcher with a passion that still burns, but nobody could argue that she wasn't a leader, whether you agree with her policies or not.

To be fair Cameron left May, and us,right in the lurch by agreeing to the EU Referendum purely to save his own career. Then, through his (and Corbyn's) lack of leadership through that campaign the Remainers message was never going to be recognised and the simple "Yes/No" vote was too early without there being options and impacts available for people to consider (even now 70%+ of the electorate would vote against a "No Deal" Brexit).

So now we place Brexit in the hands of a madman like Boris ...................................... "WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YA, WE'RE DOOMED" !!!!!!!

Fri May 24, 2019 1:19 pm

The statement TM gave this morning represents a good start for the future of this country but that's all it is a good start.

I'm amazed that anyone can feel any sympathy for her because IMO she has bought all of it on herself by standing in the Conservative Party Leadership Election back in 2016. This, at best mediocre politician, should NEVER have got within a million miles of 10 Downing Street but she got there by saying NOTHING of note during the referendum campaign and then doing and saying only what her minders, Fiona Hill & Nick Timothy, instructed her to do. As a result she was inflicted on this country under the mask of a "Strong and Stable Leader" when in reality she has proved to be "Weak and Wobbly" and the EU bullies have played her throughout the Brexit negotiations.

Remember she was Home Secretary when the "Windrush Scandal " was in full flow, a policy which ruined the lives of many innocent people whose only crime was, hang on they hadn't committed any crime, but they lost their jobs, homes and in many cases their right to live in this country.

Then look at the 2017 General Election Manifesto farce who will ever forget the Dementia Tax, or axing Winter fuel payments and free school meals ALL Policies within the Manifesto but removed within hours of the manifesto launch in Halifax. All clear signs of a "Leader" in control of nothing. During that election campaign she lost a 20 point lead in the opinion polls and in the election itself the conservative party majority in parliament. Any politician with integrity would have resigned on the spot but not teflon Theresa she made sure Nick Timothy fell on the sword.

Today is a good start but more needs to happen starting with getting rid of Comrade Corbyn, but for now that can wait, but hopefully not to long.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

castleblue wrote:The statement TM gave this morning represents a good start for the future of this country but that's all it is a good start.

I'm amazed that anyone can feel any sympathy for her because IMO she has bought all of it on herself by standing in the Conservative Party Leadership Election back in 2016. This, at best mediocre politician, should NEVER have got within a million miles of 10 Downing Street but she got there by saying NOTHING of note during the referendum campaign and then doing and saying only what her minders, Fiona Hill & Nick Timothy, instructed her to do. As a result she was inflicted on this country under the mask of a "Strong and Stable Leader" when in reality she has proved to be "Weak and Wobbly" and the EU bullies have played her throughout the Brexit negotiations.

Remember she was Home Secretary when the "Windrush Scandal " was in full flow, a policy which ruined the lives of many innocent people whose only crime was, hang on they hadn't committed any crime, but they lost their jobs, homes and in many cases their right to live in this country.

Then look at the 2017 General Election Manifesto farce who will ever forget the Dementia Tax, or axing Winter fuel payments and free school meals ALL Policies within the Manifesto but removed within hours of the manifesto launch in Halifax. All clear signs of a "Leader" in control of nothing. During that election campaign she lost a 20 point lead in the opinion polls and in the election itself the conservative party majority in parliament. Any politician with integrity would have resigned on the spot but not teflon Theresa she made sure Nick Timothy fell on the sword.

Today is a good start but more needs to happen starting with getting rid of Comrade Corbyn, but for now that can wait, but hopefully not to long.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

good post..
was gobsmacked when that manifesto came out..dementia tax and fox hunting...when all she had to do was nothing at all to win comfortably..

Fri May 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Sir Neil for PM he will sort the buggers out :old: :occasion5: :bluescarf:

Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Whistler wrote:Sir Neil for PM he will sort the buggers out :old: :occasion5: :bluescarf:

and Mozzer as chief Whip !!!!! :ayatollah:

Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Whistler wrote:
Whistler wrote:Sir Neil for PM he will sort the buggers out :old: :occasion5: :bluescarf:

Jazz Richards minister for Health

Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:
Whistler wrote:

Etheridge Defence minister :banghead:

Fri May 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Whistler wrote:
Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:
Whistler wrote:

Etheridge Defence minister :banghead:

Make sure the Yanks from Swansea stay away from the Treasury :D

Fri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Two things stand out why Brexit has not yet happened, calling a general election in 2017 and losing their majority was always going to be difficult. If an election was not called Brexit would have been done and dusted by now because the government had a large majority which would have passed all the motions needed in parliament. Also if the majority of MP's who campaigned for remain (I have no problem with that) just accepted the result of the people instead of making out that we are simpletons, then we would be free of the EU.

Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm

cityone wrote:Two things stand out why Brexit has not yet happened, calling a general election in 2017 and losing their majority was always going to be difficult. If an election was not called Brexit would have been done and dusted by now because the government had a large majority which would have passed all the motions needed in parliament. Also if the majority of MP's who campaigned for remain (I have no problem with that) just accepted the result of the people instead of making out that we are simpletons, then we would be free of the EU.

I thought calling the election in 2017 was a shrewd move at the time and she did end up with the similar share of the vote thhat gave Thatcher her landslide in 83. Didn't account for Corbyn promising everything to everyone and the Liberal Democrats vanishing without trace. Infact had the LD's put up a better show in 2017 we would ironically be out of Europe by now.

Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

epping blue wrote:
cityone wrote:Two things stand out why Brexit has not yet happened, calling a general election in 2017 and losing their majority was always going to be difficult. If an election was not called Brexit would have been done and dusted by now because the government had a large majority which would have passed all the motions needed in parliament. Also if the majority of MP's who campaigned for remain (I have no problem with that) just accepted the result of the people instead of making out that we are simpletons, then we would be free of the EU.

I thought calling the election in 2017 was a shrewd move at the time and she did end up with the similar share of the vote thhat gave Thatcher her landslide in 83. Didn't account for Corbyn promising everything to everyone and the Liberal Democrats vanishing without trace. Infact had the LD's put up a better show in 2017 we would ironically be out of Europe by now.

Agree with that, May's two advisers, (can"t remember their names, a male and female team, but they resigned shortly after the election) must take a lot of the blame for what happened, firstly for suggesting the election and secondly for running her pathetic campaign.

Fri May 24, 2019 4:36 pm

cityone wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Agree with that, May's two advisers, (can"t remember their names, a male and female team, but they resigned shortly after the election) must take a lot of the blame for what happened, firstly for suggesting the election and secondly for running her pathetic campaign.

Her strategy on Brexit has been poor. She should have left a position clear distance between the conservative policies and those of the remain parties. Yes the campaign was poor but you don't want Parties making promises they cant fulfil. I've lost count of how many things Corbyn et al will be privatising, Public sector, health, schools housing etc all receiving huge windfalls.

Fri May 24, 2019 5:42 pm

epping blue wrote:

it was a very shrewd move , but how anyone could then make such a mess of that beggers belief.

Fri May 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Totally agree. Never before have I seen anybody as incompetent as she has been
A total disaster

Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:All political careers end in failure - as someone once said.

As it stands no one can deliver brexit. Anyone trying to deliver it wont succeed - if a PM goes for the customs union option - then conservatives will vote against it (as it doesnt deliver brexit) , if a PM goes all OUT brexit - nearly ALL MPs will vote against it and if a PM goes for the Barnier deal then Labour and the Conservatives will vote against it.

So the problem is not solvable given the current configuration of Parliament.

If nothing is agreed by 31st Oct - then the EU position will be that we will have left with no deal. BUT Parliament have stated that wont happen - and in such a case would then look to revoke Article 50, postpone it again or second referendum.

If any of those things happen - MPs will be held in contempt of democracy by the public - in my opinion.

Now on to Theresa May - in hindsight - holding that general election was the wrong thing to do - but understandable why she did it - to get a bigger majority. Once that back fired then the brexit writing was on the wall.

Worst PM in my lifetime ? - I dont think so - she didnt commit war crimes based on lies and send 100's of thousands of kids to their death in Iraq, not too mention the creation of ISIS as a consequence

She did not sell the gold at a rock bottom price and throw away billions and billions of pounds

And she did NOT leave the country with a crippling debt and deficit - which made trying to run an economy very difficult.

As of now - we have the lowest level of unemployment, the highest level of inward investment anywhere in the EU and growth forecast at 1.5%.

It will be interesting to see the result of the unofficial 2nd referendum last night. if we take the figures of the Lib Dems, the SNP, Plaid and then compare them against the Brexit party and UKIP - and see how they stack up.

If it's 50/50 ish again - then I dont know what to do (and neither does anyone else)

If I could articulate my thoughts, my post would have looked something like RW-S-M's! :-D Considering the three years of uncertainty and political turmoil, you'd have to say everything has ticked along well. Hope this continues, I don't think Brexit will be sorted any time soon!

Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Boris as right idea deal or no deal we are out! If he got in That should put wind up junkers and his cronies .... :laughing6: