Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OT Barry Island Butlins

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Any of you got any memories from the old holiday camp, either as Butlins or when
Rick Wright , Ex-City chairman had it as Barry Island Resort?

The Pig+Whistle, outdoor pool, staff club-Freddy's Bar with the bouncy stage?

Perhaps you used to sneak in through the railings at the top of the camp :P

Maybe you met 'a lady (or two) there? :ayatollah:

http://www.realradiowales.co.uk/present ... blog-1106/

Have a butchers and let me know!

Cheers

Wigs

Re: OT Barry Island Butlins

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Ahh mate,many summers I spent in Barry butlins. I was only a kid 7-12 years old when i started going & the last time I went. Me & my cousin used to spend hours on the cable cars & I must admit :oops: we used to spit over people :lol: but we were only kids :D .one year I was down there perhaps 1983 & I was 7 loads of skinheads were down there fighting & trashing the place :lol: .I always sneaked through the railings as we weren't old enough to go past security,at the time I was obsessed with knives :oops: ,the ones with a dear foot as a Handel & there were good shops in Barry that used to sell them to us :lol: I remember it all,the indoor fair,cinema,indoor & outdoor pools, the redcoat shows wow did I fancy all of them women in red coats .The best times ever without a doubt !!!

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Nice one cheers :ayatollah:

Surprising how many used to sneak in through those railings! Lived in fear of
the security!

:old:

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Between 1960-62 the fairground was practically blown away with the gales. I recall the rollwecoaster/big dipper whatever it was called was blown full over.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akB8IGQ1vNk&feature=fvw :cry: :cry:

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 pm

i worked there one summer what an experience that was lol

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 pm

my memories was mainly on the beach,as a youngster my mum wouldnt let me go in the sea, when i cried , but there in the water, my mum said, but there on holiday,,,,,,,, meaning,,,,,,,, they dont know whats in there,,,,,, sewage :roll:

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 pm

1975 and 1976 - a week at Barry Island Bultins down from Cwmbran. And now I live in Barry.

In 1976, the people on our table won the donkey Derby jackpot/sweep which was around £120. They bought me Carling black Label all night, and at the age of 17 was uncontrollably drunk for the first, but not the last, time in my life. Happy Days indeed!
:old:

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:35 am

Remember being on holiday there in 1978 with my grandfather and watching the world cup in Argentina