Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ‘ The Future ‘

Wed May 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Stevejonesfrom62 wrote:Do u really think it can be worse under him have a look around the south wales valleys thanks to the tories starting with thatcher destroying the coal industry and selling off the railways etc i can remember hard working class people i the valleys with morals the tories destroyed all that so no it couldnt be worse under corbyn and there are no facts to prove it would

Thatcher selling off the railways? Ever thought of getting a job as a history teacher? Thought not.

Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am

Oh ao the tories didnt sell off the tories then thought not lol

Fri May 31, 2019 9:10 am

Stevejonesfrom62 wrote:Oh ao the tories didnt sell off the tories then thought not lol

Thatcher had started the sell off with peripheral elements of the railways, land, hotels etc and realistically that would have progressed at some stage during the 90's as that was what she believed in strongly. As it was Major had to sell it off quick due to him nearly bankrupting the country trying taking us into the ERM as a consequence of his pro European ideology. Was never right then and never will be, but without doubt if we remain in Europe we'll be part of the single currency within 5 years

Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 am

Stevejonesfrom62 wrote:Oh ao the tories didnt sell off the tories then thought not lol

Thatcher had started the sell off with peripheral elements of the railways, land, hotels etc and realistically that would have progressed at some stage during the 90's as that was what she believed in strongly. As it was Major had to sell it off quick due to him nearly bankrupting the country trying taking us into the ERM as a consequence of his pro European ideology. Was never right then and never will be, but without doubt if we remain in Europe we'll be part of the single currency within 5 years

Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 am

I see the poll carried for You Gov this week showing the Lib Dems topping the pile didn't show an option for The Brexit Party. They were taken as part of the " others " . They'd just topped a national poll for Christ sake. I cant believe the lengths the establishment are going to airbrush this party off the map.

Fri May 31, 2019 9:38 am

I’m still bemused at Labour plans for introducing student tuition fees and when Blair was ousted, the Tories carried out LABOUR’S plan for introducing the fees and there was bedlam!! Labour accusing the Tories of just providing for the rich blah blah blah.

Abbott has been quoting as saying ‘West Indian women make the best morhers’. Racist??
And in the same interview she was ‘cornered’ when asked where she sends her children to school. She tried to squirm out of the question as usual but eventually was TOLD by the interviewer that they attended a private school.

One of the many reasons that I think people would be nuts to vote Labour is that this fool would be basically in charge of our police etc. Completely incompetent.
That and her JCs love of Hamas, IRA to name s few.
No way!!!!!!

Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I’m still bemused at Labour plans for introducing student tuition fees and when Blair was ousted, the Tories carried out LABOUR’S plan for introducing the fees and there was bedlam!! Labour accusing the Tories of just providing for the rich blah blah blah.

Abbott has been quoting as saying ‘West Indian women make the best morhers’. Racist??
And in the same interview she was ‘cornered’ when asked where she sends her children to school. She tried to squirm out of the question as usual but eventually was TOLD by the interviewer that they attended a private school.

One of the many reasons that I think people would be nuts to vote Labour is that this fool would be basically in charge of our police etc. Completely incompetent.
No way!!!!!!

To be fair I doubt the anybody could of made a bigger balls up of student finance than the Tory's have. Why do we pay countless millions on experts to take years coming up with the rubbish that came out yesterday. Once step forward in fairness but 2 steps backwards. Reduction in fees - could have been better a move in the right direction. Cap in overall interest payable neutral - ok but the interest levels remain ridiculous. Reduction to the payment threshold not so good but the extending the term to 40 years is just outrageous.

We need this to be treated as a loan and not an additional pretty much working life tax. In the liklihood fees are here to stay the reduction is good. Corbyn is away with the fairies if he thinks the country could afford anything else.

Interest on the loan should be no more than 0.5% above base rate probably with a minmum of 2% and a maximum of 4%.

Thresholds broadly where they are now althoogh repayments increased by from 9 - 15%. However all repayments would be tax, NI and employers NI deductable. In practical terms you wouldnt mess with the NI's you would adjust tax adjust all student loan repayments by + 45%. Additionally allow all pension contributions could be used in offsetting student loans up to the age of 30. Tax rebate fixed so not giving those on higher staring salaries an advantage.

Make it retrospective.

We need to accept fees are here to stay, but we've got move away from them being a life time debt burden, as much for the country as the individuals.

Fri May 31, 2019 10:32 am

epping blue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I’m still bemused at Labour plans for introducing student tuition fees and when Blair was ousted, the Tories carried out LABOUR’S plan for introducing the fees and there was bedlam!! Labour accusing the Tories of just providing for the rich blah blah blah.

No way!!!!!!

To be fair I doubt the anybody could of made a bigger balls up of student finance than the Tory's have. Why do we pay countless millions on experts to take years coming up with the rubbish that came out yesterday. Once step forward in fairness but 2 steps backwards. Reduction in fees - could have been better a move in the right direction. Cap in overall interest payable neutral - ok but the interest levels remain ridiculous. Reduction to the payment threshold not so good but the extending the term to 40 years is just outrageous.

We need this to be treated as a loan and not an additional pretty much working life tax. In the liklihood fees are here to stay the reduction is good. Corbyn is away with the fairies if he thinks the country could afford anything else.

Interest on the loan should be no more than 0.5% above base rate probably with a minmum of 2% and a maximum of 4%.

Thresholds broadly where they are now althoogh repayments increased by from 9 - 15%. However all repayments would be tax, NI and employers NI deductable. In practical terms you wouldnt mess with the NI's you would adjust tax adjust all student loan repayments by + 45%. Additionally allow all pension contributions could be used in offsetting student loans up to the age of 30. Tax rebate fixed so not giving those on higher staring salaries an advantage.

Make it retrospective.

We need to accept fees are here to stay, but we've got move away from them being a life time debt burden, as much for the country as the individuals.

Oh another thing. Student housing - Basic accommodation should be available everywhere at no more than a hundred quid a week.

Fri May 31, 2019 10:43 am

I think the definition of poverty has changed since I was a kid. I never considered myself as being terribly poor, or living in poverty. A fridge was a luxury, and I was around 7 years old before we had one. Not many people could afford their own telephone, and there was just one family in my street who owned a car. Most householders had one black & white tv if they were lucky.Washing day was quite a lengthy event, with my mother putting each item through a hand operated mangle before hanging them out to dry. Poverty today almost seems linked to whether or not you can afford to top up your mobile phone, or being able to afford the full Sky package. No doubt there are people struggling, but the one or two that I know personally who consider themselves to be living in poverty can still afford to smoke, and have things like Sky Cinema and Netflix, Sky Sports and plenty of other things that they class as a necessity which I class as a luxury. I suppose priorities have changed, and most people think that they are entitled to all these mod cons.

Fri May 31, 2019 12:57 pm

epping blue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

No way!!!!!!

Make it retrospective.

Oh another thing. Student housing - Basic accommodation should be available everywhere at no more than a hundred quid a week.

How would you fund that mate?

Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

No way!!!!!!

Make it retrospective.

Clearly not easy. On the student finance side the country takes hit in tax receipts during the loan repayment. The benefit being that people get shot of their loans and move quicker into a life of full spending power. A good few people are sent to college by companies, all those costs will be tax deductible against their corporation tax. So there is some principal of the tax payer already paying towards education.

The housing bit is not so easy. Cant see us ever go back to providing housing benefit to students. My main gripe around this is really around the private company construction of student accommodation and the ever increasing rents they want to charge. Daughter yesterday finsihed a 4 year mMath at Durham. We've been lucky there with average rents after the first year in hall being around a £ 100 a week. Sons in Nottingham and the private rents there are about the same but we've got friends who in paying £ 300 a week.

Fri May 31, 2019 3:05 pm

epping blue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
epping blue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

No way!!!!!!

Make it retrospective.

Clearly not easy. On the student finance side the country takes hit in tax receipts during the loan repayment. The benefit being that people get shot of their loans and move quicker into a life of full spending power. A good few people are sent to college by companies, all those costs will be tax deductible against their corporation tax. So there is some principal of the tax payer already paying towards education.

The housing bit is not so easy. Cant see us ever go back to providing housing benefit to students. My main gripe around this is really around the private company construction of student accommodation and the ever increasing rents they want to charge. Daughter yesterday finsihed a 4 year mMath at Durham. We've been lucky there with average rents after the first year in hall being around a £ 100 a week. Sons in Nottingham and the private rents there are about the same but we've got friends who in paying £ 300 a week.

I feel your pain mate.
My son finished in Reading with similar costs and has a loan to pay back.
I genuinely think we could discuss the pros and cons of each party but I think there wouldn’t be a vast difference whoever is in power. They’d make a mess of it and the opposition would no doubt say the changes that need to be made.
It’s refreshing to discuss these issues with you and for you not to have a completely blinkered view on the alternative.
Btw, most politicians lie through their teeth so God only knows! :roll: