Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Would you swap your style of play

Sat May 25, 2019 11:12 am

Do you Bluebirds sometimes wish you played a more expansive game.

I remember watching us under Cork and Hollins play a similar style to what you play now.

Re: Would you swap your style of play

Sat May 25, 2019 11:19 am

Northern Blue wrote:Do you Bluebirds sometimes wish you played a more expansive game.

I remember watching us under Cork and Hollins play a similar style to what you play now.

I suppose we could adopt Swansea's style and make 20 or 30 passes before ending up further back than where we started.

Sat May 25, 2019 11:24 am

Not quite true that played some very good stuff against Boro and Stoke was quite impressed.

Joking aside though the long ball game can be effective in the Championship.

But you will need to adapt if you ever go up again.

Sat May 25, 2019 11:34 am

It's not true that we play a long ball game. It's something similar , but not route one.
It works to get the best possible results from limited rescources and so that's what's been necessary.

It nearly worked in the Premiership but not quite, so WHEN we go up again, ( that'll be next year), we'll have to learn from that and adapt a bit. I'd say that that will have to start with a defence which is as close as possible to impregnable and be built upon from there, but flying all over the place trying to do tricks and emulate Ronaldo & Co on a limited budget isn't going to work .

Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 am

Cant see you going up to be honest but you never know.

I would have a wager but that Aberdare fella I mentioned on the other thread wouldn't pay so I will bet with the bookies.

Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Im not personally a fan of Warnock's style of football and would rather watch a style of football we played under Dave Jones and attack teams but nobody can argue that Warnock's football gets results in this division. Everyone enjoys different playing styles though.

Sat May 25, 2019 5:39 pm

No I just wish Warnock would press teams higher up the pitch away from home. Also stop the idiotic system of bringing everyone back for corners.

Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 am

Northern Blue wrote:Do you Bluebirds sometimes wish you played a more expansive game.

It gets results so it’s entertaining.

Passing the ball around and losing is the worst form of football there is. We can all promise you that because that’s what was happening when we were on our way to league one before Warnock saved us.

Sun May 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Id rather play good passing football but would need to change our team quite a bit as we don't have the players. However I'm happy with our style if its getting results

Sun May 26, 2019 6:32 pm

darran1927 wrote:Id rather play good passing football but would need to change our team quite a bit as we don't have the players. However I'm happy with our style if its getting results

That's how I feel about it as well.

Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm

It was a bit aimless at times last year, but the first half of the promotion season was excellent.

Fast direct football is fine by me, but with a purpose. We need a genuine passer in midfield and we'll be fine. Ralls is a good all rounder, but needs supplementing. If our differentiator is our pace on the flanks we need to get the ball to them quicker. NML needs a second to organise himself then he is frightening, Murphy has a better first touch but an extra second stops him running down blind alleys.

A genuine technical DM will allow us to go short if we need to change it, but we have had a stopper so kick it long has been the game plan.

I wouldn't like us to play like the Jacks in their pomp,its boring. But the guy a few rows behind me who has shouted "snap him Gunnar" for the last three season would be apoplectic

Mon May 27, 2019 12:59 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

I suppose we could adopt Swansea's style and make 20 or 30 passes before ending up further back than where we started.

was at a time teams would back off and allow possession in your own half, in fairness it worked for them..but entertaining {which some of them thought it was } it wasn't...when pass number 21 is tate to defries and none of the previous 20 passes have not even breached the halfway line its want your money back time..
expansive in that they used every inch of their own half of the field..

but they still believe there is this Swansea way that's being ignored by the more recent managers..
reality is teams press higher now and only any idiot { choose any one from the 19k that watched them } would attempt to play as they did 5 years back..

Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I'd welcome a change if I'm honest, it's been extremely frustrating at times watching the long ball with fingers crossed to win the first or second ball. Then the goal kicks, or kicks from hand, slow it down and wait until the opposition are all set in position to the left of the field, everyone being marked then kick it there, exactly where they knew it would go. At times we couldn't even win the ball off our own throw in. :banghead: :banghead:
That said, when we did have a go we played some good stuff and scored some good goals.