O/T Who's been to New York?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am

Anyone on here been to New York before?

I'm looking to take the wife away next year and I'm trying to get as many tips as possible as I know nothing at all of the city :laughing6:

Anyone have any recommendations? Places to stay or visit etc :thumbup: :thumbup:
Pantmawr Bluebird

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: O/T Who's been to New York?

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Anyone on here been to New York before?

I'm looking to take the wife away next year and I'm trying to get as many tips as possible as I know nothing at all of the city :laughing6:

Anyone have any recommendations? Places to stay or visit etc :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great place to go mate.
Deffo do Central park - your Mrs will love it and so will you. Make sure you ask your guide where exactly the trip covers as it's sometimes worth haggling.
Do either Empire state OR Rockerfella CBuilding as , personally I think it's a waste of time and money to do both. Go day time rather than night as views are (obviously) better. Not sure how they do it nowadays but queues can be horrendous so we went very early and were practically straight up. Maybe book a slot in advance?
Statton Island is interesting - Gives some early history a la Gangs of New York and there's a free ferry that runs regularly from Manhattan which gives you superb views of the Manhattan skyline.
Personally didn't go a bundle on Chinatown but Brooklyn and the bridge were great.
Natural history museum to north of Manhattan is excellent. Went to see the NY Yankees at their stadium in the Bronx and that was also very good.
Hated Times Square - far too busy and full of tourists.
We visited the church that the firemen that worked during 9/11 used as a base - that was sobering. The memorial was under construction when we visited.
We wanted to go to Harlem (daytime!!) but were advised not to as there'd been a spate of shootings the night before.
Saying that, I've never felt safer in a city and the people were really friendly to tourists.
Hope this helps mate. Anything else you want to know PM by all means.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby cf40 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

Been there twice, last time was for my missus 50th. Went on 22nd Dec 2014 for a week. Best advice I can give is get yourself a pen and lots of paper. I spent hours looking at different websites comparing prices on flights, hotels, and packages. In the end, by far the best I found was Expedia. We flew with Delta and stayed in the Radisson Martinique on Broadway (think its changed now). There were people on the same flights as us who paid more for flights only than we paid flights and hotel. You need to write each flight/hotel price down so you can compare, and then scribble out when you find a better deal. Also, on check in at the hotel I said to the guy "check the date on my missus passport". He saw that she was 50 the next day and gave us the penthouse suite!!! Good luck mate, you will love it.
cf40

Postby City in Cwmbran » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm

A must. Take your missus to Grand Central Station, enjoy a cocktail at the bar in the main hall......and just watch the world move around in front of you!! The ceiling is spectacular. The building is stunning. Then, at the next level down, track level, is a labarynth of pop up type shops serving up any sort of food you can imagine. It really is an experience you will both remember. We then took a train to Tarrytown, 40 minutes up track, thru Yonkers, Bronx and alongside Hudson River. 10 bucks each but you can say you took a train from GCS.

Something else.... take a tour of a typical old NY tenement block. Such as https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/hist ... ent-museum Gives you an idea of how the old days were and how the Irish became so prominent in New York.

Best advice we had from a local? Take the NYC Ferry downtown https://www.ferry.nyc/ticketing-info/. If you are staying in Midtown, get on at East 34th street. And then enjoy zig zagging along the Hudson, under Brooklyn Bridge and get off at Financial District, Wall Street, Pier 11. 30 minutes for $2.75 each !! Take in 9/11 Memorial and have a pint of Guiness in O'Hara's.... proper old bar, right next to the Twin Towers.

While you are downtown, and you have an interest in the American Indians, take a look at The National Museum of the American Indians https://americanindian.si.edu/visit/newyork

Enjoy.....
City in Cwmbran

Postby Bluebird For Life » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

An awesome city and as the others have said - Central Park is a must do and the ferry to Statton Island gives you a great view of the Statue of Liberty too. The Ellis Island museum there was excellent, but to be honest, the view of the statue itself was better from the ferry - you are sometimes able to go up it if you apply in advance if that appeals.

We stayed on 57th Street in the Salisbury Hotel which was very well placed for Central Park, not far from Times Square [10 minutes] and offered excellent value [back in 2007...]. Not an upmarket place but perfectly acceptable for anyone not wanting to spend a fortune on accommodation. Beware when eating out as 20% is often the expected tip - and not all service is like it is in the movies!!

I must admit I enjoyed just walking in the city but note the subway stations can sometimes be some distance apart. Ground Zero wasn't finished when we visited but imagine they have done an excellent job on the memorial - for me it was a must do to try and put what happened into perspective there and it was rewarding but as you would expect solemn experience.

Overall, there is lots to do away from the well known tourist attractions and I'm sure you will have a great time.
Bluebird For Life

Postby Caztheturkk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Went there 2 year's ago lots to see and do wherever you stay your near the subway, went to statue of liberty Ellis island ,Greenwich Village is great for jazz and I went to stillwell avenue south broken last stop on the subway very rough area ,also went to yankee stadium but nothing on when I was there cental park is huge .wanted to go to harlech which is next stop down from yankee stadium .but was told by big black doorman its just streets man full of blacks ?!! Also grand central station is werth a visit downstairs are some amazing eateries and madding square gardens if you can catch somthing on there can be very expensive.
Caztheturkk

Postby nojac » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I flew from Cardiff via Amsterdam KLM , which was great.
Get yourself a New York city pass (enables you to all the attractions) not cheap but very much worth it.
It includes everything you can think of.
The city itself is brilliant and very safe.
We stayed in Korea town , right by the empire state building.
Subway is easy to get around .
Do a bus tour shows you all around the city , central park bike tour.
Whispering gallery in grand central .
New York city is like being on one big movie set.
Go and enjoy.
I can't wait to go back .
nojac

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Do us a favour mate.. come back on when you get back, let us know how it went..

Cheers
rumpo kid

Postby Big Ceri » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Go to the Sheraton hotel and ask for the only revolving restaurant in NY. The buffet is very reasonable and sights and views amazing :bluebird: :bluebird:
Big Ceri

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Bes5 advice stay somewhere central. It’s huge and walking around for miles everyday can soon wear you out.

I’ve been 3 times and stayed next to grand central once and next to times sq another time.

In dec it’s freezing and mega busy in summer it’s humid
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby danielrees17 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 pm

I'm looking to go next December with the mrs so do let us know how it went :thumbup:
danielrees17

Postby bullerlever » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm

I wouldn't go again as it's mad. However I went last October and the highlight of the 4 days was the 911 memorial. OMFG... moving ain't the word. Spent 6 hours just on 1 of the towers. Just outside the new tower is a pub called O' HARA'S. go in have a drink and ask to see the scrapbook about the day of the attacks. You won't believe whats in it. Great weekend and had a great crack.
bullerlever

Postby charlieduke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Been three times, the most recent being last month. There has been good advice on this thread but here is some more.
I don’t know when you intend going but December to March is freezing in New York and June through to September can get very warm. As there are only two of you going I would personally avoid getting the city passes. You have to go into a separate queue if it’s a school holiday and the attractions give priority to people with pre paid tickets with time slots. Go early to the Empire State Building (8-9am) to avoid queues. Book seats for the theatre before you go. You can book up to a year in advance. Use the official websites as others can charge extra fees. Don’t be pressured into tipping 22-25%. Tip how much you want to. I did 10-15% at restaurants. The subway is excellent and the trains run regularly all night. The fares are $2.75 a ride irrespective of length of journey. I suggest you get an unlimited use card which is $32. It depends how much you want to walk. I suggest staying somewhere in midtown Manhattan which would be between 30th-45th street. It’s a great place. Enjoy
charlieduke

Postby theclaw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Been three times and going again next year,been to see the NY Mets which was a good experience.If you go in summer time try Brighton Beach and Coney Island,lots going on.
theclaw

Postby Jock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 pm

As has been said Grand Central Station is a must, we did the Rockefeller Building at night so you get a view of The Empire State and everything else. When you thinking of going, we went in March and it was fekkin freezing.
Jock

Postby Xcasual » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Been twice ,My favourite city. Some good clothes shops too if you’re into your designer gear.
Xcasual

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks for all of the replies chaps! :thumbup:

Sounds like a terrific place to go, I'm looking forward to it. We will have to go in the school holidays as the Mrs is a teacher so I'm counting on it to cost an arm and a leg but will be worth it!

Booking in advance for day trips/experiences sounds like the way to go so I'll get on that asap
Pantmawr Bluebird

Postby Xcasual » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Thanks for all of the replies chaps! :thumbup:

Sounds like a terrific place to go, I'm looking forward to it. We will have to go in the school holidays as the Mrs is a teacher so I'm counting on it to cost an arm and a leg but will be worth it!

Booking in advance for day trips/experiences sounds like the way to go so I'll get on that asap

If you want to go on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty,Go on a week day as on the weekends it’s full of locals and very busy.
Xcasual

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am

Big Ceri wrote:Go to the Sheraton hotel and ask for the only revolving restaurant in NY. The buffet is very reasonable and sights and views amazing :bluebird: :bluebird:

Isn’t that the Marriott Marquis in time square?
Carpe Diem

Postby kimble » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 am

Been 4 Times love it.....the revolving hotel Big Ceri was on about used to be called the View Restaurant at The Raddison ...might have changed names now..excellent ...the floor is revolves so whilst your dining you get a magnificent view all around the skyline.

Also go up to the Greyhound Terminal on eigth ave and book tickets to go to Woodbury Common..its about an hour upstate...its a massive shopping outlet with all the big names...clothes ..trainers .shoes at fantastic prices...you buy jeans they will alter them whilst you wait...i go there everytime..

Also Maceys and Bloomingdales are good.
kimble

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Thanks for all of the replies chaps! :thumbup:

Where does she teach mate?
I’m doing the same in your vicinity. :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am

kimble wrote:Been 4 Times love it.....the revolving hotel Big Ceri was on about used to be called the View Restaurant at The Raddison ...might have changed names now..excellent ...the floor is revolves so whilst your dining you get a magnificent view all around the skyline.

Also go up to the Greyhound Terminal on eigth ave and book tickets to go to Woodbury Common..its about an hour upstate...its a massive shopping outlet with all the big names...clothes ..trainers .shoes at fantastic prices...you buy jeans they will alter them whilst you wait...i go there everytime..

Also Maceys and Bloomingdales are good.

It is called The View and located in the Marriott Marquis from the off.
Carpe Diem

Postby maccydee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

Get the New York Pass. Definitely help you out loads and let’s you jump queues etc.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

maccydee wrote:Get the New York Pass. Definitely help you out loads and let’s you jump queues etc.

Neil, this was my experience of the New York Pass :thumbup:

What also helped was booking the 3-day Sightseeing Bus Pass and them upgrading to the 'Priority Boarding' ticket, which allowed me to queue hop during busy periods

No real recommendations on what to go see, as it's all good; but my personal favourites were the One World Tower (arrive in the light and leave in the dark for a double experience up top) and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat