Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE POSITIONS WARNOCK PLANS TO STRENGTHEN

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

THE POSITIONS WARNOCK PLANS TO STRENGTHEN

Vaulks and a goalkeeper appear to be coming in. Warnock also needs at least one other midfielder and is looking at a centre-back, striker, right-back and winger.

Sol Bamba will miss the start of the season so Cardiff need cover there.

Warnock is intent on putting together a squad with enough depth and quality that Cardiff can cope with the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday demands of the Championship and go up again.

But the plan is to bring in the newcomers to supplement the stars already there, not to replace them.

Re: THE POSITIONS WARNOCK PLANS TO STRENGTHEN

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:58 pm

So far it looks like Vaulks, Day and Nelson.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Concerning if we have to many players to be honest, Warnocks weakness seems to be when he rotates and then other players he seems to be left in the cold.

I don't think it's numbers we need, more quality.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 pm

1 centre midfielder????????? We’ve only got 3 and we play a 4-3-3 so we need at least 6. Ralls, damour and Bacuna are our only midfielders, suppose you could count Paterson and Reid but they aren’t proper central midfielders, we need too spend on the midfield and not just quick fix it

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Well I thought a new striker was our first port of call. I suppose we await and see!

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:53 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Concerning if we have to many players to be honest, Warnocks weakness seems to be when he rotates and then other players he seems to be left in the cold.

I don't think it's numbers we need, more quality.

Agreed Its quality we need. We need 2 top CM's and a top striker. However im sceptical whether that will happen tbh.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm

If think the only way we maximize Reid is a 4231

striker - Madine, Zohore, Paterson, Ward - Can't see us getting a striker
Wide forwards - Murphy, NML,Holliet Paterson - Need a wide forward
10 - Reid, Tomlin, Paterson - Can't see us getting another 10
CM - Ralls,Bacuna, Damour - Need another 2 as i don't think Damour can play in a sitting 2
LB - Bennett Cunningham , Bacuna- fine
RB- Jazz, Pelts, Coxe, Bacuna - Fine
CB - Morrison, Manga, Sol - Need a potential starter as no idea if father time catches up with Sol
GK - Collecting them

So Imo we need a wide forward, 2 CM's, and a CB as well as any replacement if one leaves.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

People argue for top striker but didn't we get promotion without one? :shock:

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Allan,
You are correct in what you say. But I still feel we need a top striker to give us that edge. It is a pity you retired.
See you in August.
Regards
Geoff

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 pm

llan bluebird wrote:If think the only way we maximize Reid is a 4231

CM - Ralls,Bacuna, Damour - Need another 2 as i don't think Damour can play in a sitting 2
CB - Morrison, Manga, Sol - Need a potential starter as no idea if father time catches up with Sol
GK - Collecting them

So Imo we need a wide forward, 2 CM's, and a CB as well as any replacement if one leaves.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:08 am

GK - Collecting them

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am

GK - Collecting them

Agree on formation, but remember we still have Connelly as CB cover, so we need to move out some of the deadwood to make room for signings apart from 2CM’s. Much easier said than done, who will pick up Madine, Tomlin Zohore’s wages?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:32 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:

GK - Collecting them

Agree on formation, but remember we still have Connelly as CB cover, so we need to move out some of the deadwood to make room for signings apart from 2CM’s. Much easier said than done, who will pick up Madine, Tomlin Zohore’s wages?

You would not find a problem sending Medine and Zohore out on loan, it would be madness mind.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:32 pm

We better not only sign one midfielder.

We need to get 3 CM's in ASAP other than that we need a another RB and another winger given we let Harris leave. Im happy with the other positions.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:04 pm

phildavies wrote:We better not only sign one midfielder.

We need to get 3 CM's in ASAP other than that we need a another RB and another winger given we let Harris leave. Im happy with the other positions.

I agree with you but quite honestly I only see us signing 2 CM's. Also not sure why we've supposedly offered Jazz Richards a new contract if we're meant to be looking at a right back. I think we'll end up with a GK, CB, CM, CM, RW, ST.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:People argue for top striker but didn't we get promotion without one? :shock:

Twice ;)

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:

I agree with you but quite honestly I only see us signing 2 CM's. Also not sure why we've supposedly offered Jazz Richards a new contract if we're meant to be looking at a right back. I think we'll end up with a GK, CB, CM, CM, RW, ST.

Why do we need another Keeper? Unless either Etheridge or Smithies are leaving? We need our Young Player of Year Radcliffe as our No 3 otherwise we might as well abandon our Under 23’s?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:

Why do we need another Keeper? Unless either Etheridge or Smithies are leaving? We need our Young Player of Year Radcliffe as our No 3 otherwise we might as well abandon our Under 23’s?

I agree with you i dont think we personally need a new GK but there seems to be quite a lot of people saying we're gonna sign Joe Day whether thats as a number 2 or 3 choice GK i dont know. Id be happy with Etheridge, Smithies and Ratcliffe as back up otherwise as you said whats the point in having an academy as it just blocks players progression and path into the first team.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm assuming that we're going to sign some players of a much higher quality than those already mentioned - otherwise we will be throwing away everything achieved and putting up with mediocrity

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Smithies is on his way to a loan spell with Birmingham so ratcliffe gets promoted to 3rd choice, and talks are ongoing with Murphy to sign for another year... that’s gk sorted as long as we keep NE.

Not sure if hoilett will be back for start of the season or for January as he’s on loan stateside.

We need to ship players out too before bringing in but we do need quality players not squad players, 2 or 3 midfielders 1 striker and 1 cb