Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Womans football!

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Been watching bits of womans world cup and was listening to two so called experts talking about changing goal size? Earlier this week one ex player said goals should be made smaller the two on tonight said no basically it will put womans game back years! Want to be equals with the men (pay as well in world cup) the reason for change is the fact that women are average 6 ins shorter than Males but if you take goalkeepers there is something like 8 ins height advantage for non Asian goalies compared to other parts of world? Should goals be smaller in womans game to make it more equal ?

Re: Womans football!

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Makes sense, nothing wrong with making the change and doesn’t take anything away from their game. As a side some of the GK are simply appalling.
As for equal pay, they can talk about that once the game generates the same income as the men’s.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:49 pm

These days the biggest difference does seem to be the standard of goalkeeping. Their skills, speed, fitness all seem to have improved. Especially with the top teams. But the GK always seems to be crap. Will making the goals smaller help? Not sure. And don't get me started on the equal pay...

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:These days the biggest difference does seem to be the standard of goalkeeping. Their skills, speed, fitness all seem to have improved. Especially with the top teams. But the GK always seems to be crap. Will making the goals smaller help? Not sure. And don't get me started on the equal pay...

What got me was fact they want to be treated as equals when clearly they are not! they are not recognising fact that asian players are disadvantaged considerably! It's accepted in other sports that women are physically inferior to men tennis for example have 3 sets and other sports use different standards between women and men to help the women... pitied Dion Dublin stuck in middle of 3 women! :laughing6:

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:38 am

I don't think smaller goals for women's football would set their game back whatsoever. I agree that in general women's goalies are really poor although Argentinas keeper had a great game last night. Also agree that when women's football generates the sort of money the men's game does, they should also be paid the same. Woman's football especially in this country has come a long way in the last 10 years or so, so that's a good thing.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 am

The BBC have paid a lot of taxpayers money on promoting women's football . It's a social engineering project , plain and simple, and part of their intention to destroy natural roles.
It'll soon open the door to demands for equal pay for lady footballers , complaints that there are no women managers and probably a quota of lady players in every team.
Enjoy football while you can then, because they're gradually dragging it into their world of politically dominated misery.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:52 am

Or make the goals in men's football bigger!

Average male considerably bigger now than 100 years ago and more athletically advanced.

To create the same space as players had years ago pitches should be made bigger, same for rugby, but that's not practical as stadiums already built. Make goals bigger and see games with more goals. Simples.

And then see what the women's game wants next.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:08 am

mistaflux75 wrote:I don't think smaller goals for women's football would set their game back whatsoever. I agree that in general women's goalies are really poor although Argentinas keeper had a great game last night. Also agree that when women's football generates the sort of money the men's game does, they should also be paid the same. Woman's football especially in this country has come a long way in the last 10 years or so, so that's a good thing.

Argies goalie was 6ft which is part of what I was saying? The womans game will never create same income as mens as its nowhere near as fast and exciting and at moment ladies competitions are bolt on with mens competitions so share sponsorship so fifa/uefa would have to create a separate organisation with separate funding ect cannot see it being a success for reasons stated.. watched bits of game last night but couldn't get into it no passion from crowd (kids screaming) and generally game to slow just my opinion of course. :old:

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 am

Out of interest, what level of men’s football would you have to go down to where the English women’s national team would have a chance?

For me well down into the amateur ranks, just not sure what level?

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:01 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Out of interest, what level of men’s football would you have to go down to where the English women’s national team would have a chance?

I'd say going down age groups might make more sense where they are not fully grown men. Maybe u16 England boys Vs Full women's team?

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:20 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Out of interest, what level of men’s football would you have to go down to where the English women’s national team would have a chance?

I believe they are different games and need different rules. Trying to be a direct duplication of the mens game is pointless.

They need to change the rules in favour of reducing the need of physicality. Otherwise you'll end up with 6 footers with limited skill simply overpowering higher skilled smaller players.

The NFL has different rules to College football but its fundamentally the same game.

I believe Cardiff Met (Welsh premier league) would batter England simply due to the physicality. If you compare the difference in Caster Semenya who is a women but with testosterone to other equally trained women then i don't think you can compare
If you change the tackle rule that you can not leave the ground (Block tackles and nicking the ball only) I think it would be a bit closer, but for the womens game an improvement. I also agree about the height of the goals. Currently you just need to give it a crack from 20 yards out and watch the ball sail over a 5'7" keeper.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 am

llan bluebird wrote:

I believe they are different games and need different rules. Trying to be a direct duplication of the mens game is pointless.

They need to change the rules in favour of reducing the need of physicality. Otherwise you'll end up with 6 footers with limited skill simply overpowering higher skilled smaller players.

The NFL has different rules to College football but its fundamentally the same game.

I believe Cardiff Met (Welsh premier league) would batter England simply due to the physicality. If you compare the difference in Caster Semenya who is a women but with testosterone to other equally trained women then i don't think you can compare
If you change the tackle rule that you can not leave the ground (Block tackles and nicking the ball only) I think it would be a bit closer, but for the womens game an improvement. I also agree about the height of the goals. Currently you just need to give it a crack from 20 yards out and watch the ball sail over a 5'7" keeper.

5.7 goalie is rare in womans football that's the point the ex footballer was making regarding goal size! The other two ex players want parity with the men but as you say physically they are nowhere near that of men and never will be, think it needs an committee to look at how to improve game and make it more equal for all countries including Asian ones.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm

They can do what they want. The only thing that matters is that woman's football is utter shite.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:13 pm

nubbsy wrote:They can do what they want. The only thing that matters is that woman's football is utter shite.

Totally agree. If they want pay equal to the standard they play at, then about £2.50 a week is about right.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm

I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch womens football.

Womens football = shit

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Pembroke Allan : Your right mate!! I can't really disagree with you. I am glad women's football has come on a bit but agree it will never ever be where the men's game is. Argentina keeper was lanky and that did make all the difference. Do Cardiff have a women's team? Not planning on watching them just curious :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 pm

mistaflux75 wrote:Pembroke Allan : Your right mate!! I can't really disagree with you. I am glad women's football has come on a bit but agree it will never ever be where the men's game is. Argentina keeper was lanky and that did make all the difference. Do Cardiff have a women's team? Not planning on watching them just curious :bluescarf:

Yes they do no idea how good but see them before games on TV in ground :thumbup:

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:05 am

Want to be paid Messi wages the one minute, smaller goals and pitches the next;

Get the dinner on luv...

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:28 am

Women's football is for women. There is no comparison to be had with a Male game.
Why don't we reduce the goal size for under 14s and down in both mens and womens football? Theres a huge disparity in both.

I'm pretty sure when equality is talked about its not an expectation to earn what premier league players earn and theres no expectation to go straight to that bracket. What is requested is that they have the opportunity to get better and have no block on progression. Womens football was banned for 50 plus years so they are behind.

The constant negativity is akin to the shite the average tele Rugby fan dishes about about football and the players being not as "tough" as rugger buggers.

Give it a rest, how many of you critsiscising have represented your country at a World Cup?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 am

NorthGwentBlues wrote:Women's football is for women. There is no comparison to be had with a Male game.
Why don't we reduce the goal size for under 14s and down in both mens and womens football? Theres a huge disparity in both.

I'm pretty sure when equality is talked about its not an expectation to earn what premier league players earn and theres no expectation to go straight to that bracket. What is requested is that they have the opportunity to get better and have no block on progression. Womens football was banned for 50 plus years so they are behind.

The constant negativity is akin to the shite the average tele Rugby fan dishes about about football and the players being not as "tough" as rugger buggers.

Give it a rest, how many of you critsiscising have represented your country at a World Cup?

If you saw the interview you would have seen that they are not happy at the disparity in what Male teams get fior world cup compared to the mens teams because womans game is attached to men's competition with sponsorship so get less money? And it was a woman who said goals should be altered because of the disparity in size of ethnic players? Was interesting to see that the ones who didn't want any change were English who don't have same problem as Asian players hight wise! But anyway it's a debate that's all :thumbup:

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:22 pm

As a side issue why aren't there mirrors on goalposts in the women's game so they can redo their hair if they head the ball ? Thinking about it that would also apply to many Prem footballers mmm might need to rethink that one.

Seriously though, in my humble opinion men and women's football are totally different sports, tied loosely together by the rules of the game. The physicality, skill levels, speed of the game etc are incomparable with each other. As an earlier poster alluded to, the women's game is being promoted as some kind of political diversity campaign. I won't stand for it I tell you !

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 pm

NorthGwentBlues wrote:Women's football is for women. There is no comparison to be had with a Male game.

when equality is talked about.. it just shouldnt be.
i have no issue with women earning money as footballers or even earning MORE than men should they start getting huge sponsorship/tv deals/ crowds....to just expect money is wrong ..
btw this ban..it was from playing at clubs who belonged to the assoiciations..not a ban from playing football.
oh and the last time i looked young boys no longer play in full size goals..

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

The charity football on ITV a few women are playing. Be interesting to see how they got on Vs a bunch of fat celebs.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Well the counter argument against any change is to look at Basketball.

The height and size of the hoops is the same for Detroit Pistons Boban Marjanovic (7’3”) as it is for those who play the game in a wheelchair.

For me there should be no changes.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:Well the counter argument against any change is to look at Basketball.

The height and size of the hoops is the same for Detroit Pistons Boban Marjanovic (7’3”) as it is for those who play the game in a wheelchair.

For me there should be no changes.

Good point but the difference is all wheelchair users are basically same height Male or female so doesnt matter height of hoop maybe physically Male stronger that's it, but in football female players height differs enormously from different continents other day one goalie 6ft other 5.5 from Asia doesn't take in arm reach either! This is why the ex player brought up subject of goal size, Male goalies rarely if ever under 6ft no matter where they are from! :thumbup: