Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE TRUTH ABOUT NEIL ETHERIDGE

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:14 am

THE TRUTH ABOUT NEIL ETHERIDGE

Cardiff's goalkeeper is said to be attracting £8million interest from Liverpool and Aston Villa, but we're told NO bid has been tabled from anyone for Neil Etheridge.

Much as Warnock loves his number one, if that sort of money was offered the Bluebirds would probably snap it up and make a sizeable profit on a player they signed from Walsall on a free transfer.

Neil Etheridge has attracted interest

At 29, Etheridge is one Cardiff star whose stock rose hugely during the Premier League campaign. As with David Marshall last time, the Bluebirds keeper excelled in the top flight and can't be held accountable in any way for relegation.

It is Warnock's intention to keep hold of the bulk of the side who came within a whisker of remaining in the Premier League. In other words, a 'Hands Off Our Stars' approach.

But let's see what happens with Etheridge as the summer goes on. Warnock is believed to be close to unearthing another goalkeeper from the lower leagues, who he believes can mirror Etheridge and shine at a higher level.

There is some talk this could be Newport County's Joe Day, but we'll see in time.

Let's not forget Alex Smithies, either. He signed for £4m from QPR last year but, because of Etheridge's excellence, hasn't had a look-in.

And the club are still talking to Brian Murphy, although he may end up being released.

Warnock doesn't need four goalkeepers. But Etheridge, Smithies and the unnamed newcomer he rates so highly would be a terrific starting base for his side in the Championship, real strength in depth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT NEIL ETHERIDGE

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:16 am

Smithies
still talking with Murphy
a new keeper coming in.
and an 18 year old goalkeeper was academy player of the year..

sounds like the truth is....nobody knows the truth

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:48 am

dogfound wrote:Smithies
still talking with Murphy
a new keeper coming in.
and an 18 year old goalkeeper was academy player of the year..

sounds like the truth is....nobody knows the truth

Very true :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 am

I wouldn't have any worries about Smithies as our number 1, never had a sustained run and QPR fans rate him very highly from his time there.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 pm

The eternal optimist wrote:I wouldn't have any worries about Smithies as our number 1, never had a sustained run and QPR fans rate him very highly from his time there.

Finally some sense talked about smithies! Most QPR fans rate him as one of their all time best keepers!

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:50 pm

trotskie wrote:
The eternal optimist wrote:I wouldn't have any worries about Smithies as our number 1, never had a sustained run and QPR fans rate him very highly from his time there.

Finally some sense talked about smithies! Most QPR fans rate him as one of their all time best keepers!

Remember seeing us playing QPR at home and Zohore would have had a hatrick if it wasnt for Smithies. And every game i saw QPR play apart from Luke Freeman he was always their best player.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:04 pm

If a big offer comes in for him I'd let him go. Smithies is a quality keeper at Championship level.