Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The man returning to Cardiff in search of another promotion

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Involved in 5 goals: The man returning to Cardiff City in search of another promotion

By Toby wilding

Saturday 15th June 2019

Following their relegation from the Premier League last season, Cardiff City will be looking to bounce back immediately when they return to the Championship next season.

As many sides before them have shown, that is not always an easy task, although Cardiff could have an advantage in their quest to do that, given that one man in particular enjoyed a positive start to 2019 in the Championship during the back half of last season.

Striker Gary Madine is set to return to Cardiff in the summer, having spent the latter half of last season helping Sheffield United win promotion back to the Premier League after moving to Bramall Lane on a temporary deal in January.

So could that make Madine an asset for Cardiff in the Championship next season?

Here, we put the spotlight on Madine’s performances for The Blades to find out.

Given Madine played the full 90 minutes just once during his 16 appearances for Sheffield United, you have to feel that his record of three goals and two assists does not seem too bad a return.

It should also be noted that Madine will provide an attacking threat for Cardiff next season. Even with his limited game time, Madine still averaged the third highest shots per game amongst The Blades’ regular features last season. The striker’s average of 1.4 shots per game beaten only by fellow strikers David McGoldrick and Billy Sharp, showing that he will look to make things happen for Cardiff if the is given the chance next season.

Another hugely promising aspect for Cardiff is Madine’s record in the air, with only the defensive colossus Jack O’Connell bettering Madine when it came to aerial duels won for the promotion winning Blades – and even that was by the tiniest of margins of 4.9 to 4.8, indicating the advantage Madine could give Cardiff when both attacking and defending set pieces next season.

There may be a small concern around Madine’s slightly underwhelming return when it comes to passing, although if Madine continues to trouble defences with his attacking presence, that should not be too much of a worry for Cardiff.

In spite of the disappointment of relegation, there is plenty to be encouraged by for Cardiff ahead of their return to the Championship next season, and Madine’s time at Bramall Lane at the start of 2019 is certainly appears to be something that will have contributed to that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The man returning to Cardiff in search of another promot

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:40 pm

I thin we will see a different madine this season

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I hope we don't see him and he's sold.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:51 pm

HARRYccfc1927 wrote:I thin we will see a different madine this season

I'm hoping we dont see him at all
Not hood enough for a promotion chasing side as a main striker.

I would have Zahore, Ward Patterson and Reid ahead of him

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:17 pm

He's been pushing a move to Sheffield United.

Can't see him here tbh

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:54 pm

i think hes made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be here, much too settled up north. maybe things would of been different if he scored that penalty

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm

thomasblue wrote:
HARRYccfc1927 wrote:I thin we will see a different madine this season

I'm hoping we dont see him at all
Not hood enough for a promotion chasing side as a main striker.

I would have Zahore, Ward Patterson and Reid ahead of him

And Toshack !!!

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:26 pm

He’s a cumbersome log, with mild rigor mortis...

Hopefully Bristol Rovers will cough up £3M.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am

He was constantly fishing for a permanent move to Sheffield United. Whenever he played for them, their fans said that the team's fluency and movement disappeared and everything became laboured and predictable.

I could just picture him if he ever scored for us.. doing the finger to lip routine of "ssshhh" or cupping his hand to his ear at.. US!
I wouldn't want him back.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:20 am

I don't think Madine was given a fair crack at it here. He always seemed to be coming off the bench with a few minutes left and trying to make an impact. When he was given the odd start, it didn't seem to matter how he performed, his place wasn't certain next week. A bit like Bobby Reid IMO, I feel that if they were given some time to gell, they could be a potent attacking option. I wouldn't think his wages are breaking the bank, so I'd like to see him given a chance if he wants it. NW does seem to have his favourites who are in week in week out no matter how they play. Just seems a pity that we may have striking options within the club instead of bringing in more unknowns. Think Rudy Gestede, same situation but went from here and scored goals, just a thought.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 am

I'd have him back with little issue, of our strikers if probably put him behind Zohore but ahead of the rest to lead the line.

Id bet he will probably end up going out on loan.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:He was constantly fishing for a permanent move to Sheffield United. Whenever he played for them, their fans said that the team's fluency and movement disappeared and everything became laboured and predictable.

I could just picture him if he ever scored for us.. doing the finger to lip routine of "ssshhh" or cupping his hand to his ear at.. US!
I wouldn't want him back.

I remember a certain player doing that in 2013/14 season when we were in the prem and scored against Norwich and ended up winning 2-1 :lol:

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I'd have him back with little issue, of our strikers if probably put him behind Zohore but ahead of the rest to lead the line.

Would you have him ahead of Danny Ward? I mean i know he gets injured quite a bit but his goal scoring record in the championship for us was pretty good and he impressed me whenever i saw him last season.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I'd have him back with little issue, of our strikers if probably put him behind Zohore but ahead of the rest to lead the line.

same here, not a first team player but would be a good option in certain games or off the bench which is what he was brought here for, and why Wilder took him on loan..

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:

Would you have him ahead of Danny Ward? I mean i know he gets injured quite a bit but his goal scoring record in the championship for us was pretty good and he impressed me whenever i saw him last season.

He's just to injury prone for me. Gets the odd goal and certainly puts himself about. I liked the look of him last season but the more closely I watched him for all his effort and his chasing unsettling the defenders he never actually held the ball up very well or won a lot in the air.

I just don't think I would be happy relying on him to be fit for very long. If I could only choose one Medine or Ward for a season then it would be Medine.

We of course need a first choice striker as well so even then they would be 3rd choice.