Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New signing at last(probably)

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 am

Cardiff agree deal to sign Curtis Nelson as the Oxford defender spurns interest from Sunderland
Cardiff City are expected to sign Oxford defender Curtis Nelson on a free
There has been interest from Sunderland but he will instead sign for Cardiff
His manager Karl Robinson recently admitted he'd leave the Kasaam Stadium

Re: New signing at last(probably)

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:08 am

Squad player if he joins unless theres a few going out we don't know about yet.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 am

Don't know much about him tbh. At only 6ft he seems on the small side for a CB but has also operated in MF, presumably as a defensive MF. Don't know if he can play full back. Can't find much on YouTube. Anyone know any Oxford fans to get a lowdown on him?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Never heard of him but he seems very well regarded on the Oxford United forums all of them reckon he his easily good enough to play in the championship. One or two even think he might be good enough for the premiership. Played virtually every game for Oxford last season so not injury prone. His best position seems to be as a central defender. With Bamba missing the start of the season would not be surprised to see him feature early on. Good signing as we would probably have to have paid a fair chunk for him if he was not out of contract.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Crayfish wrote:Never heard of him but he seems very well regarded on the Oxford United forums all of them reckon he his easily good enough to play in the championship. One or two even think he might be good enough for the premiership. Played virtually every game for Oxford last season so not injury prone. His best position seems to be as a central defender. With Bamba missing the start of the season would not be surprised to see him feature early on. Good signing as we would probably have to have paid a fair chunk for him if he was not out of contract.

That's pretty much how I see it. Warnock knows we need a CB with Sol out so getting someone on a free at a good age is a no brainer really.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Seems like a squad player but may get some more game time with Bamba missing the start of the season. Is probably a like for like replacement for Matthew Connolly who I expect will be leaving this summer in search of first team football.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Never played above league one and at 26 is not an up and coming youngster. If true I hope he is nothing more than back up for the three good centre backs we have, though I would have thought Connelly fits this description already and he would probably be first choice in about half the championship sides.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:34 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Never played above league one and at 26 is not an up and coming youngster. If true I hope he is nothing more than back up for the three good centre backs we have, though I would have thought Connelly fits this description already and he would probably be first choice in about half the championship sides.

I think Connolly may want to leave this summer after not playing regular football for close to 3 years so we need a back up option to Manga, Morrison and Bamba.