Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Etheridge

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Got a bad feeling about this one, I’m sure he’s on his way out of the club unfortunately. Nothing definite but a few hints I’ve noticed, selling their car, travelling in a luxury hire van to go somewhere for the day on Sunday, his partner also posting a picture at Nuffield health, picture on his fiancé Instagram with an empty living room aswell... I mean this may be me overthinking but it all seems abit weird. People will say business is business yes but we need a solid keeper in goal for next season if we’re going to go back up and I’m not sure smithies is that keeper

Re: Neil Etheridge

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm

All to do with him getting engaged on the weekend,just had a house party

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20 pm

caerblue wrote:All to do with him getting engaged on the weekend,just had a house party

Hmmm I’m not convinced, wish I was but with him being close to the keeper coach at Villa aswell, I think he’s going there. If we start our opening day fixtures with him in goal I will be over the moon, most important player in our squad I think

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Get a grip Poirot

There’s more to life than whether our Gk is leaving, f he does we will get a decent fee and bring in a championship standard GK, it isn’t the be all end all

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:45 pm

Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:
caerblue wrote:All to do with him getting engaged on the weekend,just had a house party

Hmmm I’m not convinced, wish I was but with him being close to the keeper coach at Villa aswell, I think he’s going there. If we start our opening day fixtures with him in goal I will be over the moon, most important player in our squad I think

I’ll be happy if he’s still in a Cardiff shirt after deadline day :thumbright:

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

I’ll be happy if he’s still in a Cardiff shirt after deadline day :thumbright:

Likewise :thumbright:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 am

Wolfpac wrote:Get a grip Poirot

There’s more to life than whether our Gk is leaving, f he does we will get a decent fee and bring in a championship standard GK, it isn’t the be all end all

Get a grip? More to life? come on mate, I’m not crying my eyes out, just pointing out that he’d be a massive loss, keepers aren’t easy to replace and people don’t realise how much of a good keeper he is until they’ve been a keeper themself, so calm down buddy, no need to get so aggressive with the replies, just making a point :lol:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:26 am

Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:Got a bad feeling about this one, I’m sure he’s on his way out of the club unfortunately. Nothing definite but a few hints I’ve noticed, selling their car, travelling in a luxury hire van to go somewhere for the day on Sunday, his partner also posting a picture at Nuffield health, picture on his fiancé Instagram with an empty living room aswell... I mean this may be me overthinking but it all seems abit weird. People will say business is business yes but we need a solid keeper in goal for next season if we’re going to go back up and I’m not sure smithies is that keeper

Bloody hell, are you their stalker?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 am

Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

Get a grip? More to life? come on mate, I’m not crying my eyes out, just pointing out that he’d be a massive loss, keepers aren’t easy to replace and people don’t realise how much of a good keeper he is until they’ve been a keeper themself, so calm down buddy, no need to get so aggressive with the replies, just making a point :lol:

Hes bang average at this level, he just had one half decent season in the premier league ( mainly due to the amount of shots against him ) and everyone thinks hes a top keeper. It was only 18months ago he lost his place in the side to Brian Murphy.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 am

He got engaged the end of last season.

As for the concern. I'll be honest I think it's better to sell him and get the top value while we can. I don't see his value going up at anytime with us. I would however like to see it done sooner rather than later.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 am

thomasblue wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

Hes bang average at this level, he just had one half decent season in the premier league ( mainly due to the amount of shots against him ) and everyone thinks hes a top keeper. It was only 18months ago he lost his place in the side to Brian Murphy.

That’s up there with one of the most idiotic post’s I’ve seen for a long time. A keepers job is to save shots, so if he had a good season because of doing that, it suggests he’s very good at his job. It’s pretty obvious he was our best player last year, and he deserves every bit of praise he gets. I really can’t see how you can call him bang average at championship level, yet he flourished at a higher level.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

That’s up there with one of the most idiotic post’s I’ve seen for a long time. A keepers job is to save shots, so if he had a good season because of doing that, it suggests he’s very good at his job. It’s pretty obvious he was our best player last year, and he deserves every bit of praise he gets. I really can’t see how you can call him bang average at championship level, yet he flourished at a higher level.

He values Etheridge at 1m so don't expect a glowing review.
Last edited by 2blue2handle on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

thomasblue wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

right up there.?
i can only conclude youve not read his other Etheridge posts...this one doesnt make the top 50 ..

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 am

dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

right up there.?
i can only conclude youve not read his other Etheridge posts...this one doesnt make the top 50 ..

I haven’t been on here much over the last month as I’ve been away, if this doesn’t rank in the top 50 I certainly don’t want to read the others.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am

2blue2handle wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Edwards_ccfc16 wrote:

He values Etheridge at 1m so don't expect a glowing review.

has he really valued him as high as 1mill ?..we must have won, Etheridge MOM and someones birthday down the pub with a free bar that day..

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:00 am

2blue2handle wrote:

As for the concern. I'll be honest I think it's better to sell him and get the top value while we can. I don't see his value going up at anytime with us. I would however like to see it done sooner rather than later.

Well he had an engagement party at his house Saturday night

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 am

We don't actually need to bring in a championship standard keeper as we have on in Smithies already good championship standard too. Plus our youth team keeper is supposed to be potentially very good too our best youth team player when we actually have two good ones too.

Personally if we could get around ten million for him and say get in a couple of decent midfielders I would do it.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 am

caerblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Well he had an engagement party at his house Saturday night

Very true, just seen the pictures, bit of a delay :lol:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:45 am

Crayfish wrote:

We don't actually need to bring in a championship standard keeper as we have on in Smithies already good championship standard too. Plus our youth team keeper is supposed to be potentially very good too our best youth team player when we actually have two good ones too.

Personally if we could get around ten million for him and say get in a couple of decent midfielders I would do it.

Agree.

I wasn't too impressed with the little I've seen of Smithies but he's hardly played and had a lot of injuries last season. QPR fans and others all rate him highly so they're probably better placed to comment than us.

I'd love Etheridge to stay but if we're offered £7m+ then I'd take that as our priority is for a goalscorer and that would go a long way to paying for one :ayatollah:

I think Etheridge is a great keeper but he is limited with most Prem teams wanting a keeper who is good with his feet which is his main weakness. So if big money is offered and he wants to go, let him.