moonboots wrote:
Bedwas Bluebird wrote:For clarity the Equality Act 2010 defines race as:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;
(c)ethnic or national origins.
(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—
(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;
(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.
(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.
(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

Anyone who is treated less favourably because of race can potentially claim race discrimination. I am not personally offended by the term but work in employment law so am aware of what to say or not say in the workplace to avoid any issues. Interestingly racial harassment (or harassment based on other protected characteristics such as gender, age, disability etc) is only a problem if unwanted as illustrated by a recent appeal case where someone was called a fat ginger pikey - https://www.dentons.com/en/insights/new ... harassment . To be harassment it has to be unwanted. Be warned however that someone else could be offended and complaints can be made because of race and not necessarily their own

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't create the law we just have to work with it!!

Also, the following is taken from the ACAS website:

Race
The Equality Act protects employees from discrimination, harassment and
victimisation because of the protected characteristic of Race, which may
include different elements that often merge:
 race – an umbrella term for the other four aspects.
 colour – like ‘race’ it tends to overlap, particularly with the concepts of
‘ethnic origin’ and ‘national origin’. Examples include black and white.
 ethnic origin – may include racial, religious and cultural factors which
give a group of people a distinct social identity with a long and shared
history. Examples include Sikhs, Jews, Romany Gypsies and Irish
Travellers.
 national origin –birthplace, the geographical area and its history can
be key factors. Examples include Welsh and English.
 nationality – usually the recognised state of which the employee is a
citizen. In other words, what it says in their passport if they have one.

I think that pretty much proves it conclusively, that in the eyes of the law IT IS racism. So for those who say that the Welsh are not a race, the law seems to say that we are. Welsh and proud. :thumbup:

So you have a Welsh Passport?

Irrelevant. Don't need a passport to be Welsh...and proud.
You obviously have strong views on this based on something. Whereas Bedwas Bluebird, who works with employment law, has cited current legislation and I found something on the ACAS website that actually gives English and Welsh as an example. If that's not good enough for you then it's pointless me trying to convince you any further. Don't take it personally...we are all City fans after all :thumbup:

Those who rule us have decreed a man can stick on a frock self identity as a bird and we all have to call him Gladys, so forgive me if I don’t fall into agreement because ACAS tells me. Listen mate if you believe Welsh is a race you crack on. It’s all about opinions. Personally I’d say it’s a Nationality.

Re: Is sheepshagger racist?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;
(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;
(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.
(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.
(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

Anyone who is treated less favourably because of race can potentially claim race discrimination. I am not personally offended by the term but work in employment law so am aware of what to say or not say in the workplace to avoid any issues. Interestingly racial harassment (or harassment based on other protected characteristics such as gender, age, disability etc) is only a problem if unwanted as illustrated by a recent appeal case where someone was called a fat ginger pikey - https://www.dentons.com/en/insights/new ... harassment . To be harassment it has to be unwanted. Be warned however that someone else could be offended and complaints can be made because of race and not necessarily their own

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't create the law we just have to work with it!!

Race
Travellers.

I think that pretty much proves it conclusively, that in the eyes of the law IT IS racism. So for those who say that the Welsh are not a race, the law seems to say that we are. Welsh and proud. :thumbup:

You obviously have strong views on this based on something. Whereas Bedwas Bluebird, who works with employment law, has cited current legislation and I found something on the ACAS website that actually gives English and Welsh as an example. If that's not good enough for you then it's pointless me trying to convince you any further. Don't take it personally...we are all City fans after all :thumbup:

Those who rule us have decreed a man can stick on a frock self identity as a bird and we all have to call him Gladys, so forgive me if I don’t fall into agreement because ACAS tells me. Listen mate if you believe Welsh is a race you crack on. It’s all about opinions. Personally I’d say it’s a Nationality.

The point being if some Englishman (for example) called me a sheepshagger, I would say that it is 99% certain that he is referring to my Welshness and it is just as certain that he is intending the comment as an insult to my country as well as to me personally. In this situation, despite what your beliefs are, in the eyes of the law, whether you agree or not, it is seen that he is attacking me on the basis of my national identity or my national origin. That is deemed as racism whether you agree or not. From your viewpoint it seems that you are condoning the action I described above simply because you state that Welsh is a nationality rather than a race. But in the context of the situation I described, racism is the label given, for the purpose of law, in order to bring people to account for judging another person simply for being of a different country or national origin to themselves, which most reasonable people would see as unacceptable.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Depends.. calling someone a Sheepshagger is acceptable to most reasonable people.

Unless someone takes offence. Then it is generally accepted that the offendee is a knob.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am

moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

The point being if some Englishman (for example) called me a sheepshagger, I would say that it is 99% certain that he is referring to my Welshness and it is just as certain that he is intending the comment as an insult to my country as well as to me personally. In this situation, despite what your beliefs are, in the eyes of the law, whether you agree or not, it is seen that he is attacking me on the basis of my national identity or my national origin. That is deemed as racism whether you agree or not. From your viewpoint it seems that you are condoning the action I described above simply because you state that Welsh is a nationality rather than a race. But in the context of the situation I described, racism is the label given, for the purpose of law, in order to bring people to account for judging another person simply for being of a different country or national origin to themselves, which most reasonable people would see as unacceptable.

Maybe time to man the fekk up, if somebody says something to you find very offensive bounce your head off his nose, it tends to help people see things from your point of view.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

Maybe time to man the fekk up, if somebody says something to you find very offensive bounce your head off his nose, it tends to help people see things from your point of view.

I assume you are joking, as only thugs see violence as the best way to resolve issues. Advocating violence is not a good idea. Also I would appreciate it if you didn't tell me to man the fekk up. I've had to face up to 30 years of adversity and I've never had to resort to violence to show how tough I am.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Political correctness gone maaaaaaad

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm

moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

I assume you are joking, as only thugs see violence as the best way to resolve issues. Advocating violence is not a good idea. Also I would appreciate it if you didn't tell me to man the fekk up. I've had to face up to 30 years of adversity and I've never had to resort to violence to show how tough I am.

Well next time somebody calls you a sheepshagger, treat it as a micro aggression, vacate to a safe space and have a cryw@nk :!:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

Well next time somebody calls you a sheepshagger, treat it as a micro aggression, vacate to a safe space and have a cryw@nk :!:

I'm not in the slightest bit offended by your childish comments. Got bigger things to worry about to be honest. And I've never actually been called a sheepshagger...but thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Jock wrote:So you have a Welsh Passport?

Ok so we aren't a race but 'British' is a race as we have British passports. Caucasian black and asian aren't races as those people don't have specific passports, but people from Vatican City are a race as they have unique passports.

Never thought of it this way makes total sense now thanks.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 am

CityBlue93 wrote:
Jock wrote:So you have a Welsh Passport?

Ok so we aren't a race but 'British' is a race as we have British passports. Caucasian black and asian aren't races as those people don't have specific passports, but people from Vatican City are a race as they have unique passports.

Never thought of it this way makes total sense now thanks.

Caucasian, Black and Asian are races, Scottish, Welsh or British aren’t, in my humble opinion.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am

moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

I'm not in the slightest bit offended by your childish comments. Got bigger things to worry about to be honest. And I've never actually been called a sheepshagger...but thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

You’re most welcome mate.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 am

moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

Exactly racism is a broader term, is Pakistan a race?