Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is sheepshagger racist?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Basically, in work, me and a colleague got in a random debate on wether Sheep shagger is racist if said to a Welsh person?

My current opinion is that it obviously is? But since the guy I'm speaking to seems CONVINCED that it isn't, I just want to grasp the general opinion.

Now, before you answer I am 100% not saying I'm offended by sheepshagger, I call others sheepshaggers too, even at Cardiff games we sing "sheepshagging bastards we know what we are" etc. I'm well aware it's all in good fun etc.

But if you weren't Welsh and you call a Welsh person a sheep shagger, surely it's racist? Just logically it is? that's my opinion anyway.

Obviously we take it well and joke about it, but I still think technically and everything else it's racist, surely?

That's all I'm asking. Is it racist, if it is - why, and if it isn't - why?
-I can come up with alot of reasons why it IS, but not really any reasons to explain why it isn't.

Re: Is sheepshagger racist?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm

its actually a compliment dating back to when the penalty for sheep stealing was death..

Welshmen caught in the act of stealing a sheep were smart enough to claim it was nothing of the sort and they just wanted a quick shag...hence { very smart } sheepshaggers..as opposed to very stupid dead Englishmen..

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm

My personal opinion is that it's not racist. It does'nt apply to a particular race or person. Anyone of any colour or any nationality could be called a sheepshagger. It is getting to the stage where virtually everything is classed as racist, just seems the popular thing to do. The most recent being someone other than white having to be considered for a managerial post in football. There used to be a time when you would succeed in getting an interview based on ability rather than colour. Like most things, a reasonable idea becomes an obsession, and everyone goes over the top. Happens in all walks of life, and just a sign of the times I suppose.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Welsh isn't a race so no, its not racist

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:My personal opinion is that it's not racist. It does'nt apply to a particular race or person. Anyone of any colour or any nationality could be called a sheepshagger. It is getting to the stage where virtually everything is classed as racist, just seems the popular thing to do. The most recent being someone other than white having to be considered for a managerial post in football. There used to be a time when you would succeed in getting an interview based on ability rather than colour. Like most things, a reasonable idea becomes an obsession, and everyone goes over the top. Happens in all walks of life, and just a sign of the times I suppose.

Agree.
Went on a stag night in Blackpool recently and we were singing “Sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers”. Everyone was asking us if we were from Burnley as this is a common theme in parts of Lancashire.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Only if it's a black sheep.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm

:happy1:
stickywicket wrote:Only if it's a black sheep.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:24 pm

No how can shagging a sheep have anything to do with race?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:My personal opinion is that it's not racist. It does'nt apply to a particular race or person. Anyone of any colour or any nationality could be called a sheepshagger. It is getting to the stage where virtually everything is classed as racist, just seems the popular thing to do. The most recent being someone other than white having to be considered for a managerial post in football. There used to be a time when you would succeed in getting an interview based on ability rather than colour. Like most things, a reasonable idea becomes an obsession, and everyone goes over the top. Happens in all walks of life, and just a sign of the times I suppose.

The we are only interviewing you because your black thing is more racist then not interviewing any black people at all.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:Welsh isn't a race so no, its not racist

Of course we are a race.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:No how can shagging a sheep have anything to do with race?

It is a race, if your slow you will end up with ugly one

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:37 pm

moonboots wrote:

Of course we are a race.

Bollox.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm

You never hear the sheep complain. :lol:

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Agree.
Went on a stag night in Blackpool recently and we were singing “Sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers”. Everyone was asking us if we were from Burnley as this is a common theme in parts of Lancashire.

Aberdeen fans are renowned for their enthusiasm for Lamb love, so are Kiwis.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:You never hear the sheep complain. :lol:

Because they’ve a gimp ball in their gobs?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Remarks are considered racist if the people they are directed at have a link to the remarks and they also find them offensive or demeaning. You could argue that their is a link between sheep shagging slurs and people from Wales but I would suggest it would be extremely hard to find anyone who is offended by it. ;)

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

moonboots wrote:

Of course we are a race.

We are Celts which is a race.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Of course we are a race.

Bollox.

Nice contribution.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Deep Blue FC wrote:Basically, in work, me and a colleague got in a random debate on wether Sheep shagger is racist if said to a Welsh person?

My current opinion is that it obviously is? But since the guy I'm speaking to seems CONVINCED that it isn't, I just want to grasp the general opinion.

Now, before you answer I am 100% not saying I'm offended by sheepshagger, I call others sheepshaggers too, even at Cardiff games we sing "sheepshagging bastards we know what we are" etc. I'm well aware it's all in good fun etc.

But if you weren't Welsh and you call a Welsh person a sheep shagger, surely it's racist? Just logically it is? that's my opinion anyway.

Obviously we take it well and joke about it, but I still think technically and everything else it's racist, surely?

-I can come up with alot of reasons why it IS, but not really any reasons to explain why it isn't.

Well it's only racist if you accept that all Welsh people shag sheep. In fact though ,it's a term I've heard all over the uk and the world ,generally referring to country people.
I used to live in Scotland and the low landers often call highlanders and islanders that. Australians and Kiwis call each other sheep shaggers and troops in the Falklands used to call the locals that too.

Mind you, anything can be racist these days if you want it to be so if you want to think it is, it is.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 pm

moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Of course we are a race.

Bollox.

Nice contribution.

It is bollocks though isn't it ? How the f**k can Welsh be a race ?
Shirley Bassey isn't the same race as Gareth Edwards but they're both Welsh.
And Welsh people aren't any more or less likely to be of a Celtic origin than English people.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Of course we are a race.

We are Celts which is a race.

Black, Caucasian, Capoid, Mongoloid, Australoid are races.
Welsh/Celtic is not a race. Celts are a part of the caucasian race.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Xenophobic might be the word you're looking for

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Taken from the Urban Dictionary

Welsh
A race that is misunderstood by their neighbours the English due to their craftiness and intelligence. The English call the Welsh sheep-shaggers due to an old trick used by the Welsh against their gullible English neighbours in medievel times, when the English had a nasty habit of f*cking sheep. When Wales adopted English law they noticed the penalty for shagging a sheep was less than stealing one (due to the English's habit) so whenever they were caught stealing a sheep they would instead say they were planning to f**k it instead to avoid the fine.
Therefore there is a very long list of crimes involving Welshmen shagging sheep, although it is only the English who would actually ever f**k a sheep, it is just another example of the Welsh tricking the English once again.
Englishman "You are going to have your hand chopped off with an axe because you stole a sheep."

Welshman "I was infact taking the sheep to f**k."

Englishman "Oh, thats good then our law endorses sheep shaggers. You will only have to lose a finger.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 am

Deep Blue FC wrote:Basically, in work, me and a colleague got in a random debate on wether Sheep shagger is racist if said to a Welsh person?

I would say yes, if you received an email from your English Boss, saying get this work done by five you sheepshagger............
you could take it to HR and complain and they would have to act if you said that was racist against you because you are Welsh?

They wouldn't say no that's fine because you're not a race?

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:48 am

I agree with everyone pretty much. But just so we’re clear. If say a politician or someone on tv was to refer to a Welsh person as a sheep shagger, other than being called out for the word shagger, could they possibly be deemed to have made a racial slur? If you get what I mean. I’m trying to come up with situations where my point would be more clear. I know it doesnt seem racist to any of us including me, but racism comes in many forms, and surely this would still count as it, as small and petty as it is

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

I don' t think its racist but it usually used to be offensive,
I was at englands h.q. twickers watching wales and got shouted at pretty quickly when we scored , sit down you sheep sh.gg.ng tw t, the english named us, taffys, scots jocs, and irish paddy's, oddly enough us celts don't have a collective name for them.

We where told as kids sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never harm me which made people a bit more tolerant, but some people in the uk are a bit touchy about name calling mention something about the phrophet and see what happens.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

Bluebina wrote:

I would say yes, if you received an email from your English Boss, saying get this work done by five you sheepshagger............
you could take it to HR and complain and they would have to act if you said that was racist against you because you are Welsh?

Thats stupid as f**k of course they wouldnt say its ok, its still a form of bigotry but its not racist because welsh isnt a race

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 am

Bluebina wrote:

Welsh, Scottish, English, French, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, Spanish, Portugese are not races, they're all part of the Caucasian race

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 am

Llan_Blue wrote:No how can shagging a sheep have anything to do with race?

Who can cum quickest? :? :thumbright:

The original 'sheepshaggers' were, in fact, the English ;)

As dogfound partly alludes to, being a little smarter than their English neighbours after the Welsh accepted English Law in Mediaeval times, they noticed the penalty for shagging a sheep was less than stealing one (due to the English's habit) so whenever they were caught stealing a sheep they would instead say they were planning to shag it instead to avoid the fine.

Therefore, although there is a very long list of crimes involving Welshmen shagging sheep, it is only the English who would actually ever shag a sheep

Just another example of the Welsh tricking the English once again! :clap: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am

montyblue wrote:The english named us, taffys, scots jocs, and irish paddy's, oddly enough us celts don't have a collective name for them.

We do have a word for the English, but I promised not to use strong language on the board so I can't say it! Suffice to say it begins with a C and ends with T ;)

Technically, I think Deep Blue is right that logically given everything else that has become defined as racist Sheepshagger must now also be racist - I'm pretty sure that when Tommy Robinson got arrested for use of a racial slur at a football match it was for calling someone a Sheep Shagger at a Luton vs. Newport game - I can't find a link to that, so might be wrong but seem to remember that being the case.

All of that that being said, the reality is anywhere other than the clown land that is now the insanely politically correct UK/Europe it, of course, isn't racist - for a whole bunch of reasons already stated. In most instances, it is not even offensive, just merely friendly banter - which leaves the user open to the wonderful return banter of 'Yep, we shag 'em, then you eat 'em!'

Being Welsh is pretty much the last unprotected class in the UK so as long as your name isn't Tommy Robinson (or Steven Yaxley-Lennon for those that prefer it that way) likelihood is you can call a Welshman a sheep shagger to your heart's content. Christ, I think you can still technically shoot us with a crossbow in Hereford given the right conditions, so I don't think we can expect anyone to get in trouble for hurting our feelings with mean words :lol:

We should rightly wear it like a badge of honour whilst the rest of the world get their knickers in a twist about being continually offended for whatever the offensive term of the week is.

I remember when I was walking around Ealing wearing my City shirt (was the day of the FA Cup final I think) and a couple of young lads about 15 or so called me a sheep shagger from across the street. To be honest I was too busy being chuffed that they recognised I was wearing a City shirt to be offended!

:ayatollah: