Is sheepshagger racist?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Is sheepshagger racist?

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:46 am

dogfound wrote:its actually a compliment dating back to when the penalty for sheep stealing was death..

Welshmen caught in the act of stealing a sheep were smart enough to claim it was nothing of the sort and they just wanted a quick shag...hence { very smart } sheepshaggers..as opposed to very stupid dead Englishmen..

Never knew that - good bit of knowledge that mate cheers! :thumbup:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:Welsh isn't a race so no, its not racist

Of course we are a race.

Bollox.

Nice contribution.

It is bollocks though isn't it ? How the f**k can Welsh be a race ?
Shirley Bassey isn't the same race as Gareth Edwards but they're both Welsh.
And Welsh people aren't any more or less likely to be of a Celtic origin than English people.

Exactly. This is all about looking for something to take offence to.
Jock

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
dogfound wrote:its actually a compliment dating back to when the penalty for sheep stealing was death..

Welshmen caught in the act of stealing a sheep were smart enough to claim it was nothing of the sort and they just wanted a quick shag...hence { very smart } sheepshaggers..as opposed to very stupid dead Englishmen..

Good bit of knowledge for what, if you get caught sheep rustling, just drop your keks and fire into the nearest sheep? :lol:
Jock

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Jock wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Good bit of knowledge for what, if you get caught sheep rustling, just drop your keks and fire into the nearest sheep? :lol:

Don't judge me too harshly Jock, London's an expensive town and I got mouths to feed. Mans gotta make a living somehow! :lol:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Jock wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Don't judge me too harshly Jock, London's an expensive town and I got mouths to feed. Mans gotta make a living somehow! :lol:

:lol: needs must mate.
Jock

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:Black, Caucasian, Capoid, Mongoloid, Australoid are races.
Welsh/Celtic is not a race. Celts are a part of the caucasian race.

That is a matter of opinion not fact
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Crayfish » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 pm

I have been at matches involving Hereford and Shrewsbury where the opposition fans sign "you're Welsh and you know you are" is that racist?
Crayfish

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Deep Blue FC wrote:Basically, in work, me and a colleague got in a random debate on wether Sheep shagger is racist if said to a Welsh person?

My current opinion is that it obviously is? But since the guy I'm speaking to seems CONVINCED that it isn't, I just want to grasp the general opinion.

Now, before you answer I am 100% not saying I'm offended by sheepshagger, I call others sheepshaggers too, even at Cardiff games we sing "sheepshagging bastards we know what we are" etc. I'm well aware it's all in good fun etc.

But if you weren't Welsh and you call a Welsh person a sheep shagger, surely it's racist? Just logically it is? that's my opinion anyway.

Obviously we take it well and joke about it, but I still think technically and everything else it's racist, surely?

That's all I'm asking. Is it racist, if it is - why, and if it isn't - why?
-I can come up with alot of reasons why it IS, but not really any reasons to explain why it isn't.

I would say yes, if you received an email from your English Boss, saying get this work done by five you sheepshagger............
you could take it to HR and complain and they would have to act if you said that was racist against you because you are Welsh?

They wouldn't say no that's fine because you're not a race?

Thats stupid as f**k of course they wouldnt say its ok, its still a form of bigotry but its not racist because welsh isnt a race

Yes it is!

So are the Scottish and to call them Sweaties would be racist!
Bluebina

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Deep Blue FC wrote:Basically, in work, me and a colleague got in a random debate on wether Sheep shagger is racist if said to a Welsh person?

My current opinion is that it obviously is? But since the guy I'm speaking to seems CONVINCED that it isn't, I just want to grasp the general opinion.

Now, before you answer I am 100% not saying I'm offended by sheepshagger, I call others sheepshaggers too, even at Cardiff games we sing "sheepshagging bastards we know what we are" etc. I'm well aware it's all in good fun etc.

But if you weren't Welsh and you call a Welsh person a sheep shagger, surely it's racist? Just logically it is? that's my opinion anyway.

Obviously we take it well and joke about it, but I still think technically and everything else it's racist, surely?

-I can come up with alot of reasons why it IS, but not really any reasons to explain why it isn't.

I would say yes, if you received an email from your English Boss, saying get this work done by five you sheepshagger............
you could take it to HR and complain and they would have to act if you said that was racist against you because you are Welsh?

Thats stupid as f**k of course they wouldnt say its ok, its still a form of bigotry but its not racist because welsh isnt a race

Yes it is!

You need to learn the difference between race and nationality.
Bluebird1990

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

:lol: No its not, its 100% fact
Bluebird1990

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:

http://theconversation.com/why-racism-a ... cism-96303
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 pm

YES
Bluebina

Postby Llan_Blue » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:

YES

No because it’s not just welsh people who get called it
Llan_Blue

Postby Bluebird1990 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Well done for finding a random articles writen by a random journalist, that doesn't make it scientific fact. If you think welsh, french, english ect. are races then you're genuinely stupid.
Go learn the difference between race, nationality and ethnicity
Bluebird1990

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Yes it is!

Terrible racism :!: :lol: Scots are not a race.
Jock

Postby Jock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Well done for finding a random articles writen by a random journalist, that doesn't make it scientific fact. If you think welsh, french, english ect. are races then you're genuinely stupid.

It’s like claiming every country in Africa or Latin America is a different race, beyond absurd.
Jock

Postby rumpo kid » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Wales/Welsh is not a race in itself, but we have what may be a fork in the metaphorical evolutionary river.
It’s the gene ‘TAF’... thick as f**k..
rumpo kid

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Jock wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

It’s like claiming every country in Africa or Latin America is a different race, beyond absurd.

Quite right Jock. I think some people just search for something that could be interpreted as racist even when it is obviously nothing of the sort. Almost seems like a hobby to a small minority of people.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Bedwas Bluebird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm

For clarity the Equality Act 2010 defines race as:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;
(c)ethnic or national origins.
(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—
(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;
(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.
(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.
(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

Anyone who is treated less favourably because of race can potentially claim race discrimination. I am not personally offended by the term but work in employment law so am aware of what to say or not say in the workplace to avoid any issues. Interestingly racial harassment (or harassment based on other protected characteristics such as gender, age, disability etc) is only a problem if unwanted as illustrated by a recent appeal case where someone was called a fat ginger pikey - https://www.dentons.com/en/insights/new ... harassment . To be harassment it has to be unwanted. Be warned however that someone else could be offended and complaints can be made because of race and not necessarily their own

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't create the law we just have to work with it!!
Bedwas Bluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Loads of stuff on the internet about this eg. :-The traditional definition of race and ethnicity is related to biological and sociological factors respectively. Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color. Ethnicity, however, refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language.

An example of race is brown, white, or black skin (all from various parts of the world), while an example of ethnicity is German or Spanish ancestry (regardless of race) or Han Chinese. Your race is determined by how you look while your ethnicity is determined based on the social and cultural groups you belong to. You can have more than one ethnicities but you are said to have one race, even if it's "mixed race".
Steve Zodiak

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:

On whose say so yours? I identify myself as Welsh and when I had a DNA test I had 75% Celtic genes. As far as I'm concerned I am a Celt and that is my race proven by genetic testing.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Loads of stuff on the internet about this eg. :-The traditional definition of race and ethnicity is related to biological and sociological factors respectively. Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color. Ethnicity, however, refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language.

An example of race is brown, white, or black skin (all from various parts of the world), while an example of ethnicity is German or Spanish ancestry (regardless of race) or Han Chinese. Your race is determined by how you look while your ethnicity is determined based on the social and cultural groups you belong to. You can have more than one ethnicities but you are said to have one race, even if it's "mixed race".

But if someone was say assaulted or discriminated against because of their ethnicity the perpetrator would almost certainly have committed racially aggravated crimes. Surely it is a grey area or even one and the same race/ethnicity?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:20 pm

The snowflakes would say yes I guess ?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Philippine blue » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:06 am

It all depends if the sheep is black or white
Philippine blue

Postby Bluebina » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

For clarity the Equality Act 2010 defines race as:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;
(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;
(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.
(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.
(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

Anyone who is treated less favourably because of race can potentially claim race discrimination. I am not personally offended by the term but work in employment law so am aware of what to say or not say in the workplace to avoid any issues. Interestingly racial harassment (or harassment based on other protected characteristics such as gender, age, disability etc) is only a problem if unwanted as illustrated by a recent appeal case where someone was called a fat ginger pikey - https://www.dentons.com/en/insights/new ... harassment . To be harassment it has to be unwanted. Be warned however that someone else could be offended and complaints can be made because of race and not necessarily their own

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't create the law we just have to work with it!!

Based on this message above, for an English Boss to call you (if you're Welsh) could be deemed racist, it doesn't matter if Wales is a race or not!
Bluebina

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 am

If someone wants to call me a sheepshagger they are quite welcome. I am from an era where a sense of humour was permitted, and when we could laugh at ourselves as well as others. I have called myself much worse than that. We certainly never made it our life's ambition to try and find something that could be considered insulting or racist every time someone opened their mouth.
Steve Zodiak

Postby moonboots » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 am

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:For clarity the Equality Act 2010 defines race as:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Also, the following is taken from the ACAS website:

Race
The Equality Act protects employees from discrimination, harassment and
victimisation because of the protected characteristic of Race, which may
include different elements that often merge:
 race – an umbrella term for the other four aspects.
 colour – like ‘race’ it tends to overlap, particularly with the concepts of
‘ethnic origin’ and ‘national origin’. Examples include black and white.
 ethnic origin – may include racial, religious and cultural factors which
give a group of people a distinct social identity with a long and shared
history. Examples include Sikhs, Jews, Romany Gypsies and Irish
Travellers.
 national origin –birthplace, the geographical area and its history can
be key factors. Examples include Welsh and English.
 nationality – usually the recognised state of which the employee is a
citizen. In other words, what it says in their passport if they have one.

I think that pretty much proves it conclusively, that in the eyes of the law IT IS racism. So for those who say that the Welsh are not a race, the law seems to say that we are. Welsh and proud. :thumbup:
moonboots

Postby Jock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:06 pm

moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

I think that pretty much proves it conclusively, that in the eyes of the law IT IS racism. So for those who say that the Welsh are not a race, the law seems to say that we are. Welsh and proud. :thumbup:

So you have a Welsh Passport?
Jock

Postby moonboots » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm

Jock wrote:
moonboots wrote:

Race
(1)Race includes—
(a)colour;
(b)nationality;

Race
Travellers.

So you have a Welsh Passport?

Irrelevant. Don't need a passport to be Welsh...and proud.
You obviously have strong views on this based on something. Whereas Bedwas Bluebird, who works with employment law, has cited current legislation and I found something on the ACAS website that actually gives English and Welsh as an example. If that's not good enough for you then it's pointless me trying to convince you any further. Don't take it personally...we are all City fans after all :thumbup:
moonboots

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 pm

If you need some suit in Whitehall to give you a tag, seems to me you ain’t got much at all..

Make ya own life..
rumpo kid

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat