Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Lewis Holtby "

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Wednesday 19th June 2019

By Tom Coleman

Cardiff City have entered talks over over a potential move for Lewis Holtby, according to reports in Germany.

Holtby's current contract at Hamburg SV runs out at the end of the month, and he has since confirmed that he is to move on this summer, following weeks of speculation.

“After five intensive years at HSV, the signs are currently saying goodbye," he said.

"I’m at the age where I am playing my best football and would like to be part of a great project again. We are currently in the active talks with relevant options."

According to German outlet Sports Bild , one of those options is Cardiff .

Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves interested in signing the £3m teenage star Cardiff City want to buy

Holtby is one of several midfielders to appear on the Bluebirds' radar this summer, with Neil Warnock keen to strengthen his options in the centre of the park, following the departure of Aron Gunnarsson on a free transfer, while on-loan duo Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa have both returned to their respective parent clubs.

The club look to be on the verge of snapping up Rotherham United's Will Vaulks , with the player expected for a medical next week ahead of a potential move.

And reports out in Germany suggest Cardiff are still keen on landing Holtby, adding that City are "intensely" competing with Fenerbahce. Galatasaray, PAOK Thessaloniki and Chicago Fire to land the former Spurs star, who is believed to be keen on a return to English football.

It's understood that there was previously interest from the Premier League, which would have likely held more appeal.

However, the 28-year old is open to a move to the Championship, providing it's with a club capable of mounting a promotion challenge.

Re: " Lewis Holtby "

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Wednesday 19th June 2019

By Tom Coleman

Cardiff City have entered talks over over a potential move for Lewis Holtby, according to reports in Germany.

Holtby's current contract at Hamburg SV runs out at the end of the month, and he has since confirmed that he is to move on this summer, following weeks of speculation.

“After five intensive years at HSV, the signs are currently saying goodbye," he said.

"I’m at the age where I am playing my best football and would like to be part of a great project again. We are currently in the active talks with relevant options."

Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves interested in signing the £3m teenage star Cardiff City want to buy

Holtby is one of several midfielders to appear on the Bluebirds' radar this summer, with Neil Warnock keen to strengthen his options in the centre of the park, following the departure of Aron Gunnarsson on a free transfer, while on-loan duo Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa have both returned to their respective parent clubs.

The club look to be on the verge of snapping up Rotherham United's Will Vaulks , with the player expected for a medical next week ahead of a potential move.

And reports out in Germany suggest Cardiff are still keen on landing Holtby, adding that City are "intensely" competing with Fenerbahce. Galatasaray, PAOK Thessaloniki and Chicago Fire to land the former Spurs star, who is believed to be keen on a return to English football.

It's understood that there was previously interest from the Premier League, which would have likely held more appeal.

However, the 28-year old is open to a move to the Championship, providing it's with a club capable of mounting a promotion challenge.

Would be well happy with Holtby and Vaulks as our main midfield 2 next season

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

By Tom Coleman

Wales online reporting we are in talks as is ‘cardiff City online’ Twitter
No idea how legit this is but just reporting what I’ve seen.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 pm

a few spurs fans i know says hes a decent player too good for the championship if we can get him, it would be massive for us

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 pm

A quick look at his wiki page, he can play attacking or defensive midfielder??

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 pm

He would be an incredible signing for us.
I will eat my hat if we get him mind....

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:01 am

If he can still play like he did at Spurs he's at least as good as Arter. Unfortunately , the fact that he's been released by a German 2nd division side makes me doubt it - very much hope I'm wrong

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:23 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:If he can still play like he did at Spurs he's at least as good as Arter. Unfortunately , the fact that he's been released by a German 2nd division side makes me doubt it - very much hope I'm wrong

He hasn't been released though,his contract is up,and HE wants a new challenge,only time will tell,if he signs or jot. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

By Tom Coleman

Agreed, that has the potential of being at least as strong, if not stronger, than our midfield last season.

If we had Camarasa too it would certainly be stronger.

Having said that I just can’t see him signing for us in the Championship. I hope I’m wrong but some of the other clubs that look like they’re interested would surely be favourites before us ?

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:38 am

If we manage to sign him he would be a brilliant player in the championship :bluescarf: :thumbright:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:If he can still play like he did at Spurs he's at least as good as Arter. Unfortunately , the fact that he's been released by a German 2nd division side makes me doubt it - very much hope I'm wrong

He hasn't been released though,his contract is up,and HE wants a new challenge,only time will tell,if he signs or jot. :old: :bluebird:

He only played 25 games for Spurs and many as sub so I think it's fair to say he didn't play too well

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Would be a fantastic signing.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Can't see him signing for us if Wolves Chelsea's and Arsenal are genuinely interested in him but don't think those three would be interested in a player who played in the second tier of German football last season. Those three would not sign anyone less than a current German international would just had an excellent season in the top division.Probably his agent talking him up.

The problem with him is he might want to start passing the ball about in midfield and that sort of malarkey which would not fit in with our style of football.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 am

Crayfish wrote:Can't see him signing for us if Wolves Chelsea's and Arsenal are genuinely interested in him but don't think those three would be interested in a player who played in the second tier of German football last season. Those three would not sign anyone less than a current German international would just had an excellent season in the top division.Probably his agent talking him up.

The problem with him is he might want to start passing the ball about in midfield and that sort of malarkey which would not fit in with our style of football.

We can't be having any of that "passing the ball around" nonsense at our club.. it will soon be stamped out!

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 am

Crayfish wrote:Can't see him signing for us if Wolves Chelsea's and Arsenal are genuinely interested in him but don't think those three would be interested in a player who played in the second tier of German football last season. Those three would not sign anyone less than a current German international would just had an excellent season in the top division.Probably his agent talking him up.

Except they’re not interested in Lewis Holtby. The kid at Reading is attracting interest from them clubs along with us apparently.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

Charlie Harper wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

He only played 25 games for Spurs and many as sub so I think it's fair to say he didn't play too well

He was rated at Spurs but (as a top side) the had better options at the time and they agreed to let him go elsewhere due to lack of opportunity. It happens a lot, as teams can only play eleven at a time and only one (maybe two) in each position

I don't know whether he'd be a success at Cardiff City and/or the Championship but for me, he is the level of player I would like to see attracted to the club

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am

Charlie Harper wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I said he DID play well there. We know what it's like at big clubs with good players not getting games, ( note that one Mr Etheridge), so it's no disgrace that he didn't play often.
When he did play he was excellent and his through passes were world class. My only concern is whether he can still do that, but if he can then he'd be a great signing. I do keep wondering why he didn't do much in the German second division though.