Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Scottish penalty karma?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Modern technology will ruin the game of football, we will see more penalties given, and more saved and then overruled. Wont shed any tears tonight for their world cup exit but subjectively neither the Joe Jordan or Davy Cooper pens would have survived VAR.

Re: Scottish penalty karma?

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Modern technology will ruin the game of football, we will see more penalties given, and more saved and then overruled. Wont shed any tears tonight for their world cup exit but subjectively neither the Joe Jordan or Davy Cooper pens would have survived VAR.

All well and good but var is very one eyed when it comes to goalies and foot on the line ? What the officials are not doing is looking at the whole sequence like fact players encroaching in area, Other night that happened but nothing done yet the pen was retaken for feet off line?! If going to pull goalie up so it must do same with encroaching as that is also a reason for retaking pen same as what goalie does. :thumbup:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:58 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Modern technology will ruin the game of football, we will see more penalties given, and more saved and then overruled. Wont shed any tears tonight for their world cup exit but subjectively neither the Joe Jordan or Davy Cooper pens would have survived VAR.

I was at Anfield the night of the Joe Jordan handball and surrounded by Jocks. It was a shocking decision but I am not sure I would be here to tell the tale if we had had VAR then and the penalty decision had been reversed!

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:05 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

I was at Anfield the night of the Joe Jordan handball and surrounded by Jocks. It was a shocking decision but I am not sure I would be here to tell the tale if we had had VAR then and the penalty decision had been reversed!

Definitely wouldn't have got out alive I've still got the blood on my scarf (memento) from a can being lobbed into us from their fans that hit my head... :laughing6:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:52 pm

On my life it was a penalty
Jock Stein

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Jock wrote:On my life it was a penalty
Jock Stein

Unfortunately that came back to haunt him? And was at that tragic game aswell! And another bad pen decision :o

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Jock Stein

Unfortunately that came back to haunt him? And was at that tragic game aswell! And another bad pen decision :o

Anfield was a shite decision but Coopers at Ninian Park was a stonewallller :lol: Sad thing is the Scottish National Team means absolutely nothing to me now and I’d support Wales against them.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Jock wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Jock Stein

Anfield was a shite decision but Coopers at Ninian Park was a stonewallller :lol: Sad thing is the Scottish National Team means absolutely nothing to me now and I’d support Wales against them.

The sheep here have that effect on people! :lol:

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Definitely wouldn't have got out alive I've still got the blood on my scarf (memento) from a can being lobbed into us from their fans that hit my head... :laughing6:

Seem to remember we were already banned from playing European qualifying games in Cardiff by Uefa because of the trouble against Yugoslavia but we could play World Cup games as it was under Fifa jursidiction. But South Glamorgan Council kicked us in the teeth by refusing to give Ninian Park a licence for over 10,000 under the new Safety of Sports Act-ironically introduced because of the Ibrox disaster. That meant it couldn't be played in Cardiff and Welsh FA didn't want to play at Wrexham because it was too small and they wanted to make money. They thought that by playing at Anfield that North Wales fans would turn up en masse. Between the three of them they let us down big time. It was like being at Hampden Park. What a rough night. They even had bouncers on the door in the chippies.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:26 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Seem to remember we were already banned from playing European qualifying games in Cardiff by Uefa because of the trouble against Yugoslavia but we could play World Cup games as it was under Fifa jursidiction. But South Glamorgan Council kicked us in the teeth by refusing to give Ninian Park a licence for over 10,000 under the new Safety of Sports Act-ironically introduced because of the Ibrox disaster. That meant it couldn't be played in Cardiff and Welsh FA didn't want to play at Wrexham because it was too small and they wanted to make money. They thought that by playing at Anfield that North Wales fans would turn up en masse. Between the three of them they let us down big time. It was like being at Hampden Park. What a rough night. They even had bouncers on the door in the chippies.

Thought it was played there because we were banned and had to play 160 .miles from Cardiff and because liverpool is an extension of Wales it was played there? But faw sold out to Scots fans hence 38k Scots in ground and 1k Welsh fans cornered in the cop end ! :o

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 am

pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Thought it was played there because we were banned and had to play 160 .miles from Cardiff and because liverpool is an extension of Wales it was played there? But faw sold out to Scots fans hence 38k Scots in ground and 1k Welsh fans cornered in the cop end ! :o

I was in kop end that night as a young teenager one word to describe it terrifying
Fighting before during and after the game

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

I was in kop end that night as a young teenager one word to describe it terrifying
Fighting before during and after the game

Not the most enjoyable of games to be at and mind boggles at what would have been the scenario if they had lost? Because they won they were nice as pie to us after game :old:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:23 am

pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Most people think that but I am 95% certain that it was just the European qualifyers we were banned from. But the World Cup qualifyers were under FIFA rules and we would be allowed to play those games in Cardiff.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:25 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Most people think that but I am 95% certain that it was just the European qualifyers we were banned from. But the World Cup qualifyers were under FIFA rules and we would be allowed to play those games in Cardiff.

Yes your right banned from city but could play at Wrexham but faw in their wisdom decided to use Anfield as they said close to north Wales so wouldn't matter, Wrexham was to small they said but in reality they were counting the £££££s as they've always done :banghead:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 pm

VAR will solve some problems but create others, it still comes down to human judgement and they will in my opinion still favour the big teams.

I can see why people want it, personally I hate it.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:VAR will solve some problems but create others, it still comes down to human judgement and they will in my opinion still favour the big teams.

I can see why people want it, personally I hate it.

Apparently var will not be used to determine if goalie as foot on line in premier league but that is subject to revue! All var will do is increase arguments particularly in handball situations... my beef with it is people say it givess correct decisions ? Other night pundit said it was correct call over offside but in reality could not say either way as it was that close! Hate to have goal disallowed because big toe was in offside position.... :roll: