Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Simon Jordan Book

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Got it for holidays and have to say I quite enjoyed it.

Interesting the way he came into money and managed to blow it all.

Interesting character and liked the way he tried to stand up to managers walking out on him and generally tried to stand up for what is right in football.

Re: Simon Jordan Book

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Got it for holidays and have to say I quite enjoyed it.

Interesting character and liked the way he tried to stand up to managers walking out on him and generally tried to stand up for what is right in football.

I like him on Talksport talks sense, he was good on question time too, him and Farage would have had Brexit done in March with them paying us £39Billion!

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 pm

I really enjoy listening to his views and I’ve been thinking about getting his book for a while. Now you’ve posted this, I think I’m going to order it. Was there much about his working relationship with Warnock in there?

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I really enjoy listening to his views and I’ve been thinking about getting his book for a while. Now you’ve posted this, I think I’m going to order it. Was there much about his working relationship with Warnock in there?

Not a huge amount to be honest, it was towards the end of the book. He said it was his best appointment as he got the whole club pulling in the same direction. He was the manager he enjoyed working with even tho not the most successful. I got the impression he was the only one who fed into Jordan ego which imo comes across as pretty huge.

Interesting read though

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:21 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I really enjoy listening to his views and I’ve been thinking about getting his book for a while. Now you’ve posted this, I think I’m going to order it. Was there much about his working relationship with Warnock in there?

Not a huge amount to be honest, it was towards the end of the book. He said it was his best appointment as he got the whole club pulling in the same direction. He was the manager he enjoyed working with even tho not the most successful. I got the impression he was the only one who fed into Jordan ego which imo comes across as pretty huge.

Interesting read though

Cheers. :thumbright:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks, Luke. Was looking at some holiday reading and this fits the bill, as I enjoy Simon Jordan's forthright views and seeing football from an owner's perspective :thumbright:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:55 am

Sven wrote:Thanks, Luke. Was looking at some holiday reading and this fits the bill, as I enjoy Simon Jordan's forthright views and seeing football from an owner's perspective :thumbright:

I think you will enjoy it then :thumbright:

I only ever really read on holiday and was struggling to find anything this holiday so gave it a go. I had been reading the secret footballer books and the last one was the Secret football agent. They aint the best to be honest although give a general idea of how things work without naming names.

The good thing about Simon Jordans book is that he will actually name people.

I think ive read all the City ones, Dave Jones, Warnock, Ridsdale, Bellamy (enjoyed them in that order)

Although if you want a quick read (and its literally that you can read it in a day) I would highly recommend the Andy Legg quick read book, I thought it was brilliant and only costs a couple of quid.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:55 am

I read it a few years ago now, read it within a week, talks a lot about his starting out in the phone business. Sadly I leant it to and old work colleague I'm no longer in contact with or would have passed it on to someone on here no bother.

SVEN, Duncan Bannatyne has a few books out that are a decent read if you, really enjoyed his autobiography.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:05 pm

RV Casual wrote:I read it a few years ago now, read it within a week, talks a lot about his starting out in the phone business. Sadly I leant it to and old work colleague I'm no longer in contact with or would have passed it on to someone on here no bother.

SVEN, Duncan Bannatyne has a few books out that are a decent read if you, really enjoyed his autobiography.

Cheers :thumbup:

I like biographies (don't do that fictional stuff other than Roathie's posts :laughing6: ) and recommendations are always welcomed :thumbright:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:52 pm

I read SJ book a while back and thought it was brilliant. Made loads of cash through mobile phone shops and then blew most of it on C Palace. I remember one quote when NW went to him and said "do you still think I'm the best manager in the Championship?" SJ said "yes" and NW replied "how come Dave Jones at Cardiff is earning £800,000pa and I'm on half of that amount?" SJ "OK you can have a new contract"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Sven wrote:Thanks, Luke. Was looking at some holiday reading and this fits the bill, as I enjoy Simon Jordan's forthright views and seeing football from an owner's perspective :thumbright:

I only ever really read on holiday and was struggling to find anything this holiday so gave it a go. I had been reading the secret footballer books and the last one was the Secret football agent. They aint the best to be honest although give a general idea of how things work without naming names.

I think ive read all the City ones, Dave Jones, Warnock, Ridsdale, Bellamy (enjoyed them in that order)

Although if you want a quick read (and its literally that you can read it in a day) I would highly recommend the Andy Legg quick read book, I thought it was brilliant and only costs a couple of quid.

Thanks again, Luke :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

I read this book about a year ago. Probably one of the best football books I’ve ever read. It’s a real eye opener on how the football industry is and his total dislike of agents. Also goes into detail on managers and players he’s worked with and doesn’t hold back. He really rates our Neil. A cracking read!

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

I've just bought it from ebay, used but perfect condition only £6.00 (loads more copies on there), I'll read it on holiday, Joey Barton and Paul Merson's were both good, Mike Tyson's autobiographies were good too!

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I've just bought it from ebay, used but perfect condition only £6.00 (loads more copies on there), I'll read it on holiday, Joey Barton and Paul Merson's were both good, Mike Tyson's autobiographies were good too!

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Even cheaper from the Library - just ordered online to collect in next 48hrs. Also, Amazon Books is a great place to pick up usede books..

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 am

I’ll check the SJ one out, read the Secret Footballers books and they’re an eye opener.

Miles off topic but I’ve just finished The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman, John Perkins.
It explains how the Yanks have taken over the World. Everything from bribery to assassinating democratically elected presidents of countries who won’t play ball. Recommend it it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 am

Just an idea but maybe we could have a sub forum book club.

I for one have a ridiculous amount of sports autobiographies amongst others that I would be happy to share with people.

People could list what they have then we can lend and borrow amongst ouralselves. Done on trust obviously.

If a bad idea just ignore me lol

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am

I’ve listened to Simon Jordan many times and have warmed to him talks a lot of sense I’ll have a look for that book

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 am

Jock wrote:I’ll check the SJ one out, read the Secret Footballers books and they’re an eye opener.

Miles off topic but I’ve just finished The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman, John Perkins.
It explains how the Yanks have taken over the World. Everything from bribery to assassinating democratically elected presidents of countries who won’t play ball. Recommend it it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.

If you enjoyed the secret footballer one you may enjoy the secret football agent book, now that was a real eye opener. I'm guessing some would find it boring but I found it interesting.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:58 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Jock wrote:I’ll check the SJ one out, read the Secret Footballers books and they’re an eye opener.

If you enjoyed the secret footballer one you may enjoy the secret football agent book, now that was a real eye opener. I'm guessing some would find it boring but I found it interesting.

I’ll check it out, either by buying it or waiting on RV setting up his mobile library van :lol:

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Jock wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I’ll check it out, either by buying it or waiting on RV setting up his mobile library van :lol:

Sat at my desk in work chuckling at that haha, RVs Mobile Library, it seemed like a good idea in my head this morning lol

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I have just read 'The world according to Harry' by Harry Redknapp, very easy read and quite interesting for those who like sports books.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:40 pm

RV Casual wrote:I have just read 'The world according to Harry' by Harry Redknapp, very easy read and quite interesting for those who like sports books.

I might get that for my hols in Nov, can imagine he has some stories

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:28 pm

I read it in Spain this year. Reading between the lines, I didn't take to him as a person. I thought there was a lot of arrogance in some of the things he said. However, I thought he was spot in with his take on agents and why the clubs have to pay the agent when they work for the player

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Yes I have it as well Luke, a good read :thumbright:

I like him as a person and his attitude :thumbright:

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Get him in Boris's team he has some good ideas and would get Brexit done :thumbup:

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Same Annis, easy to see why people don't invest in local clubs though thought, clubs are a money pit

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Like is said elsewhere the Harry Redknapp book "The World According to Harry" is a very good and easy read. Comes across much better than I thought

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 am

Don't post on here on the football stuff anymore for the Roathie show but as long as he doesn't post here I'll pop back when I finish a book :thumbright:

Last day of holiday and finished the Howard Webb book, to be honest I'm not really sure why I bought it but having read footballers books some agent and managers book I thought it might be interesting. It's a very easy read, quite an interesting guy actually, surprising how his thought process is about games and how making mistakes stays on his mind. He briefly mentions Ninian Park atmosphere and of course he refereed the game against QPR in the Millenium. I actually quite enjoyed it, probably not worth paying full price but if you can get it for under a fiver then worth a glance :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Nice one, Reading Michael Carricks at the moment, I would be lieing if I said it was a 'can't put it down' type of book but I am reading it and there are some good bits in it he is very complimentary about West Ham and he really bought in to the whole 'Man Utd' family. I had it from the library, again I wouldn't buy it but then I probably won't ever buy a book again unless I really want it and pick it up for £10 or something in ASDA lol

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:38 pm

RV Casual wrote:Just an idea but maybe we could have a sub forum book club.

I for one have a ridiculous amount of sports autobiographies amongst others that I would be happy to share with people.

People could list what they have then we can lend and borrow amongst ouralselves. Done on trust obviously.

If a bad idea just ignore me lol

i like this idea!

also, peter crouch's book well worth a read, he's quite funny (as is his ghost writer who he does the podcast with)