Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff fans '

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 am

Cardiff fans away at Portsmouth 1982/83 season :bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Cardiff fans '

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:34 am

Love all these old pics, they really highlight how much football has changed. Is there a female anywhere in there? No kids, no colours, no one over 40 either by the look of it..... :lol:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:35 am

goats wrote:Love all these old pics, they really highlight how much football has changed. Is there a female anywhere in there? No kids, no colours, no one over 40 either by the look of it..... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff fans away at Portsmouth 1982/83 season :bluescarf:

Great away day that I’ll always remember.
Remember the scoreboard being dismantled, Cardiff cars overturned in the streets around Frattin Park, the welcome commitee in the side streets as we left the ground, the charge at our fans coming from our right hand side banking after the final whistle.
Football had to move on but memories that I’ll never forget.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:58 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Great away day that I’ll always remember.
Remember the scoreboard being dismantled, Cardiff cars overturned in the streets around Frattin Park, the welcome commitee in the side streets as we left the ground, the charge at our fans coming from our right hand side banking after the final whistle.
Football had to move on but memories that I’ll never forget.

Agreed on all accounts, but fantastic memories :thumbright:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:18 am

I remember it well Annis, the dissmantling of the clock was something i'll never forget. :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:59 am

cityone wrote:

I remember it well Annis, the dissmantling of the clock was something i'll never forget. :lol: :lol:

Paul, :lol: :bluebird:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:54 am

Cant inagine the publicity if this happened in 2019, crazy crazy days.
Tick tock :-)
Also remember the turnstiles being dismantled at Ashton Gate some time in the eighties , around the Durban era? When we would lose home and away nearly every week.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 pm

I remember this day very well. I’m in this photo with my good old friend Mike Provsgard. I’m sure the guy in the front with the shades & Fela top worked in the ticket office at Cardiff Central back in the day. Great memories!

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm

What's the time what's the time what's the time :lol:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 pm

City fans had great time at Pompey
CARDIFF City set out to dismantle Portsmouth promotion hopes during 1983, but only succeeded in taking away parts of their big clock at Fratton Park’s Milton End.

ByTerry Phillips
10 MAY 2008
UPDATED00:51, 29 MAR 2013

LOOKING BACK - 1983

CARDIFF City set out to dismantle Portsmouth promotion hopes during 1983, but only succeeded in taking away parts of their big clock at Fratton Park’s Milton End.
So don’t be surprised on FA Cup final day to hear Bluebirds’ fans chant: “Pompey, Pompey, what’s the time?”

The Bluebirds did earn promotion from Division Three that season, finishing runners-up to champions Portsmouth.
It was on March 12, 1983 that Cardiff went to Portsmouth for a crucial promotion battle and fought out a goalless draw.
City fans were on a big open terrace behind a goal and at the same end was a huge clock.
“There were around 4,000 City fans and one of them decided to climb on the clock,” said long-term fan Viv Grandfield, who was at the match.

“Then others joined in and, if my memory serves me well, there were parts taken down.
Another fan recalled: “A few Cardiff fans decided to dismantle the clock.
“There was a little hand and a big hand taken off – I remember one guy hanging off the big hand at one stage.”
It was the time when Cardiff City Blue Dragons rugby lLeague side were sharing Ninian Park, but they were struggling with attendances around 600.

Len Ashurst was Bluebirds manager for 1982-83 and he appointed Jimmy Goodfellow trainer-coach.
With little or no money available, Ashurst released a number of players, including Steve Grapes and Peter Kitchen, while Phil Dwyer was made available on a free transfer.

Ashurst searched for free transfers and brought in Jeff Hemmerman from Portsmouth, David Tong from Shrewsbury, Cambridge’s Roger Gibbins, Newport’s Paul Bodin and goalkeeper Martin Thomas.

He also brought in triallist Billy Woof, who headed the winner against Wigan and then, three days later, the former Middlesbrough striker left the club after a row with Ashurst.
City then signed Godfrey Ingram, who was billed as the club’s record signing – incoming and outgoing – at £350,000 from San Jose Earthquakes.
But nine weeks after arriving, Ingram returned to San Jose with no transfer fee seemingly ever paid.

Cardiff went top of Division Three when Gary Bennett’s lone goal defeated Bradford at Ninian Park during October, while it was Hemmerman who fired Cardiff’s winner in the 1-0 victory against Portsmouth at Ninian Park.
Ashurst moved to strengthen his attacking options by signing veteran marksman Bob Hatton, 36, on a free from Sheffield United and Cardiff maintained their promotion challenge.
Victory over Orient at Ninian Park on May 7 ensured promotion with 11,480 in the ground.

But attendances were disappointing and the average attendance was 7,681 over the season, demonstrating the people of Cardiff were not happy with Third Division football.
The Bluebirds finished second to Portsmouth with Gibbins the only ever-present. Hemmerman, Tong, Dave Bennett, Linden Jones, John Lewis and Jimmy Mullen appeared regularly.

Dwyer, who had been put on the transfer list, stayed to play a full part in the success.
For Mullen it was the third time he had captained a team promoted to the Second Division – a unique achievement.
Hemmerman was top scorer with 22. Dave Bennett hit 12 with Gibbins and Hatton nine each.

Wikipedia
On 12 March 1983, during Portsmouth's promotion chase to Division One, visiting rival Cardiff City fans - also chasing promotion - climbed the large scoreboard at the back of the Milton End terrace and stole the hands from the Milton End clock. Portsmouth eventually won the Division Two championship, with Cardiff City finishing as runners-up.

This pic is supposed Pompey fans in the stand at Ninian Park

Image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:City fans had great time at Pompey

ByTerry Phillips
10 MAY 2008

LOOKING BACK - 1983

So don’t be surprised on FA Cup final day to hear Bluebirds’ fans chant: “Pompey, Pompey, what’s the time?”

The Bluebirds did earn promotion from Division Three that season, finishing runners-up to champions Portsmouth.
It was on March 12, 1983 that Cardiff went to Portsmouth for a crucial promotion battle and fought out a goalless draw.
City fans were on a big open terrace behind a goal and at the same end was a huge clock.
“There were around 4,000 City fans and one of them decided to climb on the clock,” said long-term fan Viv Grandfield, who was at the match.

“Then others joined in and, if my memory serves me well, there were parts taken down.
“There was a little hand and a big hand taken off – I remember one guy hanging off the big hand at one stage.”
It was the time when Cardiff City Blue Dragons rugby lLeague side were sharing Ninian Park, but they were struggling with attendances around 600.

Len Ashurst was Bluebirds manager for 1982-83 and he appointed Jimmy Goodfellow trainer-coach.
With little or no money available, Ashurst released a number of players, including Steve Grapes and Peter Kitchen, while Phil Dwyer was made available on a free transfer.

Ashurst searched for free transfers and brought in Jeff Hemmerman from Portsmouth, David Tong from Shrewsbury, Cambridge’s Roger Gibbins, Newport’s Paul Bodin and goalkeeper Martin Thomas.

He also brought in triallist Billy Woof, who headed the winner against Wigan and then, three days later, the former Middlesbrough striker left the club after a row with Ashurst.
City then signed Godfrey Ingram, who was billed as the club’s record signing – incoming and outgoing – at £350,000 from San Jose Earthquakes.
But nine weeks after arriving, Ingram returned to San Jose with no transfer fee seemingly ever paid.

Cardiff went top of Division Three when Gary Bennett’s lone goal defeated Bradford at Ninian Park during October, while it was Hemmerman who fired Cardiff’s winner in the 1-0 victory against Portsmouth at Ninian Park.
Ashurst moved to strengthen his attacking options by signing veteran marksman Bob Hatton, 36, on a free from Sheffield United and Cardiff maintained their promotion challenge.
Victory over Orient at Ninian Park on May 7 ensured promotion with 11,480 in the ground.

But attendances were disappointing and the average attendance was 7,681 over the season, demonstrating the people of Cardiff were not happy with Third Division football.
The Bluebirds finished second to Portsmouth with Gibbins the only ever-present. Hemmerman, Tong, Dave Bennett, Linden Jones, John Lewis and Jimmy Mullen appeared regularly.

Dwyer, who had been put on the transfer list, stayed to play a full part in the success.
For Mullen it was the third time he had captained a team promoted to the Second Division – a unique achievement.
Hemmerman was top scorer with 22. Dave Bennett hit 12 with Gibbins and Hatton nine each.

Wikipedia
On 12 March 1983, during Portsmouth's promotion chase to Division One, visiting rival Cardiff City fans - also chasing promotion - climbed the large scoreboard at the back of the Milton End terrace and stole the hands from the Milton End clock. Portsmouth eventually won the Division Two championship, with Cardiff City finishing as runners-up.

Image.jpg

Pompey deffo were in the grandstand block nearest the Hrange end that day. Pretty much filled it too.
My mate went with a few city to try to get at them and got a good kicking for his troubles.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 am

Tick Tock Tick Tock. :notworthy: Just spat coffee everywhere :D

Good (bad) old days :old:

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am

What's the time Pompey??

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 am

Just to make you all feel old I wasnt even born :)

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 am

This to me isn't the aspect of club or supporter history which we should be nostalgic about.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:00 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:This to me isn't the aspect of club or supporter history which we should be nostalgic about.

As I’ve said, football needed to move on from this and it has.
However, this happened at nearly every ground at some time during the 80s and at the time I was involved. Looking back doesn’t mean that you haven’t moved on.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm

It was good fun tho'..
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
SirJimmySchoular wrote:This to me isn't the aspect of club or supporter history which we should be nostalgic about.

Its not so much that aspect. That was the time in our lives, so its hard not to be a little nostalgic.

It was great fun...

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 am

Just goes to show how brilliant and feared our away support was in those days, no myth. I was 17 and on the 7.15 train from Port Talbot, which was full of Cardiff lads and as that photo shows, the majority of our support were lads under 35, how football has changed. We averaged 7500 at home that season, yet took 4000 to Pompey, we averaged 31000 last season, can you even imagine us taking away 13000 these days, especially made up of lads in their teens and twenties! Times had to change, but what a ride it was :lol:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:
goats wrote:Love all these old pics, they really highlight how much football has changed. Is there a female anywhere in there? No kids, no colours, no one over 40 either by the look of it..... :lol:

I was with some Pompey lads last month at a birthday party in Southsea and had a right laugh with MIck (Pompey) he said to give you his best wishes Annis :thumbup:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I was with some Pompey lads last month at a birthday party in Southsea and had a right laugh with MIck (Pompey) he said to give you his best wishes Annis :thumbup:

Cheers :thumbright:

I have met him a few times :thumbright: :thumbright:

Great bunch of lads

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

ByTerry Phillips
10 MAY 2008

LOOKING BACK - 1983

Wikipedia

Image.jpg

Pompey deffo were in the grandstand block nearest the Hrange end that day. Pretty much filled it too.
My mate went with a few city to try to get at them and got a good kicking for his troubles.

Sorry, but your recollection of events are not right. It's true, they WERE in the Grandstand block near the Grange End, however, they didn't come anywhere near to filling it. I was there when we (Cardiff) arrived - there was about 20-30 of them and they were moved out by Cardiff... no Cardiff got a kicking.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

ByTerry Phillips
10 MAY 2008

LOOKING BACK - 1983

Wikipedia

Image.jpg

Sorry, but your recollection of events are not right. It's true, they WERE in the Grandstand block near the Grange End, however, they didn't come anywhere near to filling it. I was there when we (Cardiff) arrived - there was about 20-30 of them and they were moved out by Cardiff... no Cardiff got a kicking.

Sorry but I actually (mistakenly) walked up into that Block on the day before I realised that Pompey were in there and there were deffo more than 20-30 and my mate definitely had a kicking in the gangway st the top of the stairs coming into the block. He was one of the first in there.
I have to be honest and say that I don’t remember Pompey being moved but I do remember Cardiff positioning themselves in the next block after the initial attempt to oust Pompey.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

ByTerry Phillips
10 MAY 2008

LOOKING BACK - 1983

Wikipedia

Image.jpg

Sorry but I actually (mistakenly) walked up into that Block on the day before I realised that Pompey were in there and there were deffo more than 20-30 and my mate definitely had a kicking in the gangway st the top of the stairs coming into the block. He was one of the first in there.
I have to be honest and say that I don’t remember Pompey being moved but I do remember Cardiff positioning themselves in the next block after the initial attempt to oust Pompey.

....also, there has to be more than ‘20-30’ in that photo alone and, having walked half way up there myself on the day, I can assure you that there was a sizeable amount of them in the seats above too.