Doubts over Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday to shock and

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:31 am

Doubts over Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday to shock and what the experts really think about Cardiff City and Swansea City -

By Matthew Davies

Monday 24th June 2019

One has just lost their boss and their most prized asset.

The other are desperate to right the injustices of last season and are managed by a serial promotion winner.

It’s perhaps no wonder that bookmakers favour Cardiff City over Swansea City in the battle for Championship silverware.

With six weeks to go until the start of the new season, Cardiff are generally third favourites for the title behind Leeds United at a best-priced 12/1. They are 7/2 to be promoted.

Swansea, meanwhile, can be backed at 33/1 to win the title. In the promotion market, they are 10/1.

The Liberty club will not endure the turbulent summer transfer window they suffered in 2018. But they have already parted company with their boss, as Graham Potter decided his future lay on the South Coast with Brighton.

On top of that, Daniel James has completed his £15million move to Manchester United. Swansea will miss his pace and his goal threat, though the money from his sale will come in handy.

There is the possibility others will follow . Striker Oli McBurnie continues to be linked with Premier League clubs, and it remains to be seen just how active Swansea will be where it comes to signings.

At this stage, Cardiff look to have the more settled squad, though loan signings Harry Arter and Oumar Niasse have returned to their parent clubs and Aron Gunnarsson has departed.

And while Swansea have put their faith in a rookie – Steve Cooper is the new man at the helm – Cardiff will rely on the tried-and-trusted methods of Neil Warnock, a man with eight promotions already under his belt.

So what do the industry experts think? We asked Lee Price of Paddy Power , Joe Crilly of William Hill and Michael Triffitt of BetVictor about their thoughts for the upcoming campaign.

Cardiff are 12/1 and Swansea 33/1. Which looks more enticing?

Lee Price: It feels a big gap between the two teams, but there’s a lot of uncertainty around Swansea.

I can imagine both teams finishing in the top half, but I’d be backing Cardiff in a match bet between the two.

Michael Triffitt: Neither really appeal to me in all honesty and I will be amazed if we have a Welsh title winner this time around.

The pressure is on Cardiff to bounce straight back but as we often see, the reality is that most don’t and realistically a promotion push is more their aim. Swansea were mid-table last season and that’s where I feel they will be this time as they don’t look to have enough quality to trouble the bigger clubs.

Joe Crilly: I have to go for Cardiff. Neil Warnock knows the Championship like the back of his hand. Swansea have had the upheaval of another new manager, with possibly another new style, and he is an unknown quantity.

Are either of the Welsh sides capable of promotion?

LP: It’s the Championship, every team is! Who saw Norwich going up last year? Or Huddersfield a few years ago?

It’s hard to dismiss Neil Warnock, isn’t it? I wouldn’t look at his team and expect them to go up, but look what happened last time that was the case.

MT: Cardiff look to have the better chance and their shorter odds reflect that. Whether they can be mentally strong enough is another question as they went up two years ago under the radar, while they have the favourite’s tag on their backs most weeks now.

Swansea look booked for mid-table and avoiding been dragged into a relegation battle will be an achievement.

JC: I think Cardiff will be there or thereabouts. A lot of teams who come down tend to find it difficult and drop off more than you’d think, such as Bolton, Fulham and Stoke.

But they tend to be the sides who have been in the Premier League for a while and maybe find the difference in physicality too much. The core of the Cardiff squad has a Championship look to it.

Are Leeds worthy favourites?

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa (Image: PA)

LP: They’ll certainly be the favourites of the TV schedulers but, after a shaky second-half of the season, I’d be a bit cautious about sticking my pound on them – especially at 4/1.

There’s real value in this market, especially with some of the managerial rookies at leading contenders like Fulham (8/1) and Boro (14/1). This might be the first time I’ve ever said this, but Stoke will be interesting to watch this season. They’re 12/1, undergoing a massive revamp, and could easily be top or bottom come Christmas.

MT: I have been a little surprised at the constant support for Leeds as although manager Marcelo Bielsa has stayed, they haven’t really strengthened the squad and last season, especially in the run-in, were found wanting in the forward department.

We opened at 8/1 and punters are still backing the Whites at 9/2.

JC: They have worn the mantle of favourites many times, and worn it rather unsteadily.

I would always be wary of backing Leeds. And there is a feeling that Bielsa’s teams fly out of the blocks and then fade away at the end of the season.

Give us an outsider who could shake up the promotion favourites?

Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce (Image: Getty Images)
LP: This is the one I look back on and cringe at, isn’t it? I think Bristol City and Sheff Wed (both 7/1) are long prices for promotion (their outright odds are even longer). They fit with the vibe of unexpected champions. Then again, I’d be less surprised if they finished 14th and 15th. Especially now I’ve tipped them.

MT: There looks to be plenty of teams of a similar standard who will quite rightly fancy their chances. The Championship is traditionally the most open section and this year looks no different.

Sheffield Wednesday and Brentford look capable of challenging and at double figures, the 10/1 about a Preston promotion should give punters a decent run for their money too.

JC: Sheffield Wednesday. They are about the same price as Swansea. When Steve Bruce took over, they went on an incredible unbeaten run that only came to an end against Aston Villa.

And who do you see fighting for survival?

LP: The behind-the-scenes carnage at Charlton sees them installed as joint-favourites to go down, alongside Barnsley (both 9/4). While Reading, Millwall and QPR (all 11/4) are also expected to struggle by the traders in Power Tower.

MT: I think the three promoted teams look capable of being competitive and so the race to avoid relegation looks fascinating.

There are no stand-out contenders in my opinion, but someone like Birmingham could easily find themselves struggling with money issues off the field not helping the Midland soutfit. With star striker Che Adams likely to move on and the Blues unlikely to strengthen, maybe they appeal at 10/1 from a value perspective.

JC: It’s so easy to say the teams who came up. I think Charlton and Barnsley will struggle, though I can see Luton staying up. Millwall are always discussed because they have limited resources.

Latest odds: 5-1 Leeds, 8-1 Fulham, 12-1 Cardiff, West Brom, 14-1 Middlesbrough, Stoke, 18-1 Derby, 20-1 Huddersfield, Brentford, 25-1 Sheffield Wed, Bristol City, Nottm Forest, 33-1 Swansea, Preston, 40-1 Blackburn, Hull, Birmingham, 50-1 QPR, Luton, 66-1 Wigan, Millwall, Reading, 80-1 Charlton, 100-1 Barnsley
Attachments
0_managers1.jpg
0_managers1.jpg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat