Potential strikers?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Potential strikers?

Postby LaBamba » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Really rate the signings announced today, classic Warnock picks. Great eye for bargain leaders. My question is can anyone think of any potential strikers? I think we all know that we cant afford a dwight gayle, Neil Maupay or assombalongas (or if we can we wont anyway as it's not warnock's style). So has anyone got any potential strikers that you think the club should/ could sign? For me Gary Hooper was a good shout, Paul Onuachu fits the bill (from the standard 5 minutes youtube clip) and Keiffer Moore looks interesting as well.
LaBamba

Potential strikers?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Potential strikers?

Postby Welsh Giants » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:41 am

LaBamba wrote:Really rate the signings announced today, classic Warnock picks. Great eye for bargain leaders. My question is can anyone think of any potential strikers? I think we all know that we cant afford a dwight gayle, Neil Maupay or assombalongas (or if we can we wont anyway as it's not warnock's style). So has anyone got any potential strikers that you think the club should/ could sign? For me Gary Hooper was a good shout, Paul Onuachu fits the bill (from the standard 5 minutes youtube clip) and Keiffer Moore looks interesting as well.

Rhian Brewster on loan from liverpool for me would be a great shout.
Could replicate what tammy abraham has done in the championship in his loan spells.

Or kodija from villa would do well imo and wouldnt cost a fortune as his contract expires at the end of the season
Welsh Giants

Postby phildavies » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Personally happy with the forward we have got already.

Reid, Patterson, Zohore, Ward as a four are more than good enough.

We need to sign 2 more CM’s and a winger.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Welsh Giants » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 pm

phildavies wrote:Personally happy with the forward we have got already.

Excluding reid who isnt an out an out striker, paterson zohore and ward are 10 goal a season strikers.
Thats bang average, and bang average dosent get you promoted unless your lucky.
Welsh Giants

Postby FloridaBluebird » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 pm

We need a bloody right back! Have done for two seasons!
FloridaBluebird

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 am

FloridaBluebird wrote:We need a bloody right back! Have done for two seasons!

Nelson can play right back apparently
SirJimmySchoular

Postby phildavies » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:51 am

Welsh Giants wrote:
phildavies wrote:Personally happy with the forward we have got already.

Excluding reid who isnt an out an out striker, paterson zohore and ward are 10 goal a season strikers.
Thats bang average, and bang average dosent get you promoted unless your lucky.

That’s funny seeming as we got promoted with them last time we were in the division. Not to mention Patterson only played 2/3 of the season dying to missing the start because of injury and played mostly not up front and still scored 10 goals. He will score more. Reid can play off Patterson and last time in the champ scored 19 goals.

People get obsessed with strikers when the same as last season the problem isn’t actual the strikers but not creating enough opportunities from midfield. We need more CM’s but we are also blessed with now having Reid is bloke last time and also having some of the best wisemen in the championship which was key factor in us going up last time.

Most other clubs in the champ would love to swap our striking options for theirs if given the chance. Same can be said about wide men (though need one more since letting Harris go). Defence same can be said about our weak area is CM where we still need two more bodies.

Like I said 2 more CM’s and a wisemen and we will be fine a RB would be nice too but not disastrous for us going with Peltier/Manga and possibly Nelson. Unlike in the prem where Warnock was utterly idiotic to not sign a RB last year.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby montyblue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 am

LA BAMBA

You say we cannot afford a Dwight gayle type forward why not? We have done ok with money lately tv payments, parachute payments, and neil picking up lower league players now,
this is somewhere where i think we should push the boat out and break our transfer record, and give the whole club a lift including sticking a few thousand more on the attendances.
montyblue

Postby Alan_in_China » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am

montyblue wrote:LA BAMBA

You say we cannot afford a Dwight gayle type forward why not? We have done ok with money lately tv payments, parachute payments, and neil picking up lower league players now,
this is somewhere where i think we should push the boat out and break our transfer record, and give the whole club a lift including sticking a few thousand more on the attendances.

Absolutely spot on! :thumbup:

Anyone would think we were entering the Championship from Division 1. I agree with you, push the boat out on a recognised striker.
Alan_in_China

Postby Pulisnewport » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:02 am

Alan_in_China wrote:

Anyone would think we were entering the Championship from Division 1. I agree with you, push the boat out on a recognised striker.

Gayle on loan would get 20 plus in this division :bluescarf: I’d take Traore on loan from Wolves as the winger, blistering speed and would scare half the defences we play against. Midfield Drinkwater or Ampedu from Chelsea that would be a decent 3 to add. Hey ho we will soon know, can’t wait for the season to start :ayatollah:
Pulisnewport

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I agree, but the problem is getting good players to come to the championship
SirJimmySchoular

Postby trotskie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm

People who say we won't spend big on a striker, we did 15million!
trotskie

Postby Dazzy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm

If we were to push the boat out. I’d love to sign Jay Rodriguez. Doubt very much he’d come here plus he may well have signed elsewhere by now
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Postby montyblue » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 pm

SIR JIMMY SHCOULAR

sorry no signal for 4 days isle of skye climbing
dwight gayle was attracted from newcastle to the championship plenty of players will come if you pay but i hope we attract from abroad not uk .
montyblue

Postby LaBamba » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:54 pm

Alan_in_China wrote:

Because while I believe we will be willing to pay the transfer fee I dont think we would be willing to pay the wages. Supposedly hes on 55k a week, which is not with our wage structure at all. To be honest, I wouldn't want him either. He doesnt fit our style at all and nor does Maupey. Warnock wants a big striker who can chase down balls, header and finish. Unfortunately, I think Sala would of been perfect for that role.

Also unfortunately, these are a unique set of characteristics. When we went to the premier league I was desperate for Cardiff to sign Rondon, as he would of been perfect for us.
LaBamba

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 am

LaBamba wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Because while I believe we will be willing to pay the transfer fee I dont think we would be willing to pay the wages. Supposedly hes on 55k a week, which is not with our wage structure at all. To be honest, I wouldn't want him either. He doesnt fit our style at all and nor does Maupey. Warnock wants a big striker who can chase down balls, header and finish. Unfortunately, I think Sala would of been perfect for that role.

Also unfortunately, these are a unique set of characteristics. When we went to the premier league I was desperate for Cardiff to sign Rondon, as he would of been perfect for us.

Someone that sounds like he actually watches us play :thumbright:

Spot on and yes I wanted Rondon as well, I think he would have kept us up.
2blue2handle

Postby Matthewccfc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:37 am

Deeney, said it last season and ill say it again
Matthewccfc

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm

montyblue wrote:SIR JIMMY SHCOULAR

sorry no signal for 4 days isle of skye climbing
dwight gayle was attracted from newcastle to the championship plenty of players will come if you pay but i hope we attract from abroad not uk .

You might be right, but I'm not sure whether we've yet got the prestige for that, or that we'd pay them the same wages.
Foreigners are risky though. It worked out great with Camarassa , but you never know if they'll settle here or cope with the weather.
SirJimmySchoular

Return to General Chat